Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 99
hello, a few days past i've build my first foundy mission. at this mission i have a map with an observation lounge.
at the moment the problem is, the lounge in my mission is very small, i want a larger version which fits better to the sto style with mostly large rooms.
while searching the pre-made maps i have found the map of utopia planetia, which would be perfect except a little problem: there are parts oft the station at utopia and some of the docks visible behind the windows.
changing the backdrop template doesn't hide that. is there any way to hide this?

if there's no way to do that, i would be glad to find another way to build a lounge that looks better than my actual version. so the other option for me is either build a complete custom map(for this i need suggestions which objects will help to do this), or find a map which is appropriate to modify.

what i want is:
-windows, only showing a backdrop template by looking through
-not to small
-only things that should be placed there: ONE table, with chairs arround it, maybe a plant in the corner, a console display on the wall(maybe another normal console in the room, but not more than one or two, better none), maybe a shelf with ship models, or pictures at the wall
-looking like starfleet interior

i don't need suggestions for the models which i place in the room(i already know where to find them), but a pre-made map or objects to build that room. i just mentioned that because i want a room with only these things in it, not any things that aren't appropriate for an observation lounge(like freight boxes, for example).

for better understanding, the two rooms of utopia planetia on map, which fits perfectly except the look through the windows:


http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3580/foundrymap.jpg

thanks to anyone who will help me
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,540
# 2
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Unfortunatly, you can't remove pre-existing objects from maps. The way I see it, you have two options:

One, you can attempt create a fake starship hull using a series of long ramps lined up next to each other. This will (hopefully) obscure the starbase from view. You'll probably need a couple rows of them each using curves with an increasing gradient.

Two, you can build your own custom interior set. There are plenty of conference room tables and chairs and a could options to build windows. You can build either in the black of an existing interior or high above a ground map.

Edit:

P.S. If you're looking for a little inspiration, this is what the Cryptic-made version of the observation lounge looks like. (Unfortunately never put into the foundry.) A lot of elements you're not going to be able to reproduce, but maybe it'll give you ideas.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 03-25-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 99
# 3
03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Unfortunatly, you can't remove pre-existing objects from maps. The way I see it, you have two options:

One, you can attempt create a fake starship hull using a series of long ramps lined up next to each other. This will (hopefully) obscure the starbase from view. You'll probably need a couple rows of them each using curves with an increasing gradient.
that would be a good idea to hide the station, but the docks upwards will stay visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
, you can build your own custom interior set. There are plenty of conference room tables and chairs and a could options to build windows. You can build either in the black of an existing interior or high above a ground map.
thats my problem, chairs and tables i've found, also some walls, but no good option to build windows, even a suitable ground is missing to build that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
P.S. If you're looking for a little inspiration, this is what the Cryptic-made version of the observation lounge looks like. (Unfortunately never put into the foundry.) A lot of elements you're not going to be able to reproduce, but maybe it'll give you ideas.
i knew this map from the game. that map would be nice, but really impossible to rebuild.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,540
# 4
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandermic View Post
thats my problem, chairs and tables i've found, also some walls, but no good option to build windows, even a suitable ground is missing to build that.

i knew this map from the game. that map would be nice, but really impossible to rebuild.
Hmm, a challenge. I may have to experiment with this further.

@greendragoon
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 99
# 5
03-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Hmm, a challenge. I may have to experiment with this further.
have fun, i don't think it's possible. there are really not enough models in the foundry to do that. even building a well looking window should be very hard.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,540
# 6
03-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandermic View Post
have fun, i don't think it's possible. there are really not enough models in the foundry to do that. even building a well looking window should be very hard.
Obviously, it isn't going to be a perfect match, but I think something can be done that follows the spirit of the design. You're right that the windows will be a challenge, but I have a couple ideas. I've even experimented a little with carpet for the raised area this morning.

@greendragoon
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
# 7
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
There are the walls with little square windows in them.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
# 8
03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
in a mission i'm working on at the moment i need a observation lounge as well.

my method was to play around with a combination of Wall - Generic Ship 03, the glass from the glass cabinet detail and the overhang detail for the windows, the seated area is going to be specifically placed carpet platforms or captains chair platforms with a sofa on top and in the middle of the room one of the new conference room table details that were added recently.

either that or i use utopia planitia, put generic ship 03 walls where the glass walls are and put the map weather effects for starstreaks outside. and worse comes to worse, the generic console that has a "viewscreen" with a planet on it.

And then once i've done that cryptic will release the observation lounge map they use and I'll delete all of that work.

PvP Boot Camp Coach
Vice Admiral of Forum Administration
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,966
# 9
03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
That sounds good, I like seeing people getting creative in adapting base maps to do something else.

I'd love to see some screenshots.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 99
# 10
03-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
There are the walls with little square windows in them.
but they're much to small. they're looking more like a bad joke to mappers who are trying to build maps with windows.

at the moment i try to build my observation lounge by using the map from starbase 39 sierra, looks good so far. i'll post screenshots when it's ready

but i'm interested to see what other people here have done, would be nice to see screenshots, too.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 PM.