Ensign
# 1 STO on Microsoft Surface Pro
03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Got it working on my SurfacePro, thought I would share.

I have the 128 GB Surface Pro with a type keyboard and surface wedge mouse. The mouse was a bleeping pain to get used to at first, but after a while it was decent to use. I would still prefer a different mouse than the Surface Wedge. Just not comfortable.

Resolution

1. Open Properties - Right-Click on 'Star Trek Online.exe' and view properties.
  2. Select 'Compatibility' tab.
  3. Mark Checkbox 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.
  4. Apply, then start game.

Works well, but it is everything is pretty small. You can run it at 1920x1080, but since I also run it on my laptop as well and I don't want my layout to change, I run it at 1600x900 stretch.

Quality Settings

For quality you can comfortable run it at 'Low' or good. The fans will kick on, but they aren't too bad. Quieter than my high end developer laptop. Note, in the operating system power plan, I set it to use max performance for graphics while plugged in. Dunno if it matters.

On Battery

I didn't notice a difference in performance when on battery. I have no idea how long it will run on battery since I haven't tested it. I keep it plugged in all the time. It gets a little warm, but not too bad.

Awesome

The Surface Pro can be awesome to use while watching TV, cooking, or whatever. I even did a few STFs while in bed. Not too shabby.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting this! I was really wondering if I'd be able to run STO at all decently on a Surface Pro.