Lt. Commander
# 1 sto blew up my computers
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Now i am forced to write this from my 5 year old laptop....

so i was all happy to wait for the beta servers to open at 1pm EST, i logged in and started creating my character....bright green flash of light and my power supply blew... No big deal im thinking, prolly just some dust short circuited it or something... So i go to work, and then come home and go to bed, thinking ill just play on my g/f's computer on my day off... So it is now my day off, started up the client, patched, then went into character creation.... SAME SECTION during changing my body proportions, POP her power supply blows...
Now i'm ****ed, so i take out her power supply to look at it and it's perfectly clean and pretty new... It seems like something is overloading the voltage on BOTH computers during character creation and causing the power supplies to blow up... I have ordered 2 new power supplies and and waiting for them to come in the mail, but i am now afraid to play this game.

both computers are on different outlets
one has windows 7, the other windows XP
one has a dual core, the other a quad core
one has a 8800GTX, the other 9600GTX
two different power supplies
two different motherboards
one has 4gb of ram, the other has 3gb
i checked both cases, and there is no dust in either of them because i take really good care of them
wtf?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
How much power (wattage) was your power supply able to handle? Did you add anything new to the PC recently, like a video card? It could just be that your power supply wasn't powerful enough to handle the load from your machine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
what wattage were the two power supplies?
Lt. Commander
# 4
hehe

this game has the power to blow a power supply?

that is freaking AWESOME !!!!!!

I'm gonna install it on my ex-wifes computer.

Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonster
I'm gonna install it on my ex-wifes computer..
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

To the OP: Are your systems over-clocked?
Lt. Commander
# 6
How do u know its ur power supply, do the comp just not boot up at all (as in no light or fans coming on) it could be ur mobo if u still receive power
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming64 View Post
what wattage were the two power supplies?

one was a 500 watt, the other a 600 watt...they play other games like **** fine on max settings...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
This strikes me as rather suspicious, and I would strongly advise that you investigate your home's electrical system. While STO is a rather intense game and made your system kick into overdrive, I would speculate that something else (not STO) external would have caused not one but two power supplies to blow.

While the symptom happened to be the same game, I would speculate that any super-intensive app could have triggered the chain reaction that caused you to lose your power supply.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggydoc View Post
How do u know its ur power supply, do the comp just not boot up at all (as in no light or fans coming on) it could be ur mobo if u still receive power
the loud POP! coming from my power supplies gave it away. I also took out the power supplies and examined them both after they blew.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonster
hehe

this game has the power to blow a power supply?

that is freaking AWESOME !!!!!!

I'm gonna install it on my ex-wifes computer.

LMAO too funny

OP it sounds like your PS wasn't beefy enough for your video card.