Lt. Commander
# 31
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
this is an apt with breaker switches....the computers were on different outlets
Doesn't mean you don't have bad power coming in. A transformer or the local substation could be bad.

Quote:
they were both on surge protectors. the funny thing is, the protectors are ok and didnt reset. Both the protectors are different too...
What brand surge protectors? Many surge protectors aren't worth the copper in their wiring. I have worked IT repair and seen electrically damaged computers that were on multi-hundred dollar surge protectors.

Simple fact is that according to the specs there is no way a GPU could blow a PSU. They should have browned out and shutdown. So if it was a load issue either your PSU's are crap brand or have been pushed past their specs and damaged.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzav View Post
It's not always the wattage that makes a psu capable or not. You should make sure you buy a psu from a reputable manufacturer, like Seasonic or Antec. I'm running something like a Seasonic 650Watt supporting a Q6600@3.3GHz, a Gf260GT, 4GB Ram, and multiple HDs with no problem. A good source of reliable PSU reviews would be Hardocp.com
Agreed I made the mistake once of buying an inexpensive 1000 watt power supply a few years back. Worked fine for about four months and blew. Put in my older more expensive 600 watt and the computer ran just fine until I replaced about two years later.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzav View Post
It's not always the wattage that makes a psu capable or not. You should make sure you buy a psu from a reputable manufacturer, like Seasonic or Antec. I'm running something like a Seasonic 650Watt supporting a Q6600@3.3GHz, a Gf260GT, 4GB Ram, and multiple HDs with no problem. A good source of reliable PSU reviews would be Hardocp.com
thanks for the info, it's much appreciated, ill take a look at the site and get a couple from there now i just have to wait for the resident services guy to get off lunch so he can come over
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraan
Are you serious? The dev's thought it would be funny to cause this issue on people's computers. Since you are the only person in the world who is having this issue, and since there is no other possiblity of what is causing this issue, the devs consipred against you.

I have other things to say, but I will jsut shut my mouth before I et banned.
yanno i really don't want this to turn into a flame war, but i posted this here to see if maybe some other people are having the same issue, and to seek advice from others, and posts like this don't really help.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonster
hehe

this game has the power to blow a power supply?

that is freaking AWESOME !!!!!!

I'm gonna install it on my ex-wifes computer.

LOL ! Best one today !

HAHAHAHAHAHA !
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
the loud POP! coming from my power supplies gave it away. I also took out the power supplies and examined them both after they blew.
While the loud pop might be an indicator, taking out your power supply and staring at it won't tell you much unless it was on fire or you took a DMM and tested the components.

I would worry about the circuit your PC was on. Did it share a power strip with the other computer? Do you have stormy weather right now?
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallis681 View Post
While the loud pop might be an indicator, taking out your power supply and staring at it won't tell you much unless it was on fire or you took a DMM and tested the components.

I would worry about the circuit your PC was on. Did it share a power strip with the other computer? Do you have stormy weather right now?
i saw the pop and flash come from the power supply tho
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonster
hehe

this game has the power to blow a power supply?

that is freaking AWESOME !!!!!!

I'm gonna install it on my ex-wifes computer.

Hehehe. LoL!
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Building off of my last comment and some of the replies since.

You stated that you have your machines on a surge protector. However, I do know that overvoltage spikes can occur that are underneath the threshold of a surge protector, but still enough to pop a poor quality PSU.

When I spoke of your home's electrical setup, the term I was looking for was "power conditioning." A buddy of mine, who is far more versed in this (he sells industrial grade UPS's for datacenters, for CDW) had given me a lecture on this a while back. In a nutshell (and I'll probably butcher this), but your home's electrical system can fluxuate dramatically, still within the confines of a surge protector or circuit breaker panel, and still cause damage to electrical equipment like a crappy PSU. This is one of the reasons why I have switched away from using surge protectors to UPS's which offer power conditioning capabilities as well.

Here's a few quick wiki articles that may be able to fill in some of the blanks. I'm sorry I cannot provide a better explaination, but it's my buddy Dave who is the expert in all of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_quality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_spike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Theres two weird things here, being that it happened on two pc's and happened both while playing the game. (If im reading you right). Because if this it's certainly plausible that it happened as result of playing the game, but i can't tell you with certainty that it wasn't a compounding factor that at this point of use in the pc's life it might have happened regardless of what game you were playing.

The one question i have is what circuit were your pc's on and what else is on those circuits. Conceivably the pc's could have been drawing too much power, which may have not been enough to trip the surge protector, but was more then enough to damage your pc. My basic thought is that the computers were pulling more power then they needed, and were pulling it at a rate faster then the rate at which it returns "unused" power back to the circuit.

Generally most household circuits that draw more power (like for a washer/dryer and other machines i.e fridge oven etc) would be on their own dedicated circuit and shouldn't have common outlets tied into them, but i've seen stupider things. Plug in a lamp to the outlet your pcs are on and go trip our circuits until you figure out which one its on and just make sure its not on one of those circuits.

Outside of that there is the possibility that God simply hates you. If so i suggest a goat sacrifice before you fire up the game again.