Lt. Commander
# 41
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaesyeira View Post
My PSU blew not that long ago. Turned out the unit was only just about powerfull enough to run the PC and the ventilation to the unit was crappy. So at points where my PC had to do a fair a bit of work, BOOM! It went at a point in a game that i've been to plenty of times with no trouble before. I ended up getting a nice powerfull supply and have had no problems at all and i've also got one side off my machine because i'm now incredibly paranoid about overheating.

Just FYI my machine isn't that different to one of yours:

Quad core 4ghz - 9800GT 1gb - 4gb RAM - winXP

PS. having the side off my machine dropped the temp to my GPU, CPU and PSU dramatically
You should leave your case enclosed for safety, and for keeping dust out of it. Install more system fans to blow into, and out of your computers case. I recommend air filters on all intake fans.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
i saw the pop and flash come from the power supply tho
One possibility is that the voltage in your place is higher than 110 volts, or 220 v, depending on where you live.

Over voltage can wreak havok. Ive seen microwaves, multiple ones, get overloaded and pop fuses by 120 volts, when they wanted 110 volts.

Your power supplies may have a replaceable fuse inside of them as well. Worth checking out, quality ps are not cheap.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Your PSU was barely able to run your hardware, your hardware got stressed and your PSU blew.

STO, while a common factor, is not the culprit.

Feel free to heard on over to overclock.net forums and join up; they'll help you work out exactly what happened, where the issues iny our PC might be and will talk you through returning the PSU/replacing it. Very helpful people.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Another person had their PSU pop during the game - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=59612

Ran it on two machines with no problems last night. Wife on one and me on the other.

Although the other guy said:

Quote:
Yea I had a stock watt power supply that was on my PC when I first built it. But my new Vid card takes up SOOOO much watts that it overloaded my Power Supply.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Your PSUs probably did not have enough amperage on the 12V rails of the PSU... STO taxes my system far more than any other game I have played (crysis, ****, WoW, etc) I generally have 100% cpu utilization on both cores and my overclocked gtx260 is normally running around 90+% utilization. From you description it sounds like you had two PSU that did not have over voltage protection built into them, so when your systems got really pushed, the blew a capacitor.

I would recommend a good Corsair PSU or an Enermax.

You want to make sure that the single 12V rail or multiple 12V rails add up to at least 60 amps or so.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Although i do think you guys where running on the edge of the power needed to run your comps, it should of sufficed. The problem is cryptics engine, it pushes your video card to the max, for absolutly no reason, causeing huge overheating problems, driver failures, and PSU failures, no matter the video settings. But they refuse to acknowledge or fix the problem.

So it comes down to us needing to have excellent cooling(i mean damn good) and a great PSU. What ever cryptic infects their engine with, it wreaks havoc on both nvidia and ATI cards, Intel and AMD. It openly hates all computers with less than 4 fans or watercooling. And the engine really really hates HD cards.

If your getting a new PSU you should get Corsair. They have very very nice PSUs, not cheap though.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riugoth
Although i do think you guys where running on the edge of the power needed to run your comps, it should of sufficed. The problem is cryptics engine, it pushes your video card to the max, for absolutly no reason, causeing huge overheating problems, driver failures, and PSU failures, no matter the video settings. But they refuse to acknowledge or fix the problem.

So it comes down to us needing to have excellent cooling(i mean damn good) and a great PSU. What ever cryptic infects their engine with, it wreaks havoc on both nvidia and ATI cards, Intel and AMD. It openly hates all computers with less than 4 fans or watercooling. And the engine really really hates HD cards.

If your getting a new PSU you should get Corsair. They have very very nice PSUs, not cheap though.
Whether or not Cryptics graphic engine is efficient, its not their fault if you have inadequate cooling for your system.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post
Your PSU was barely able to run your hardware, your hardware got stressed and your PSU blew.

STO, while a common factor, is not the culprit.

Feel free to heard on over to overclock.net forums and join up; they'll help you work out exactly what happened, where the issues iny our PC might be and will talk you through returning the PSU/replacing it. Very helpful people.
Actually, looks like he had plenty of wattage to me. I still bet his apartment has an over voltage problem. OP should check with a volt meter.
Lt. Commander
# 49 PC Cooling
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaesyeira View Post
My PSU blew not that long ago. Turned out the unit was only just about powerfull enough to run the PC and the ventilation to the unit was crappy. So at points where my PC had to do a fair a bit of work, BOOM! It went at a point in a game that i've been to plenty of times with no trouble before. I ended up getting a nice powerfull supply and have had no problems at all and i've also got one side off my machine because i'm now incredibly paranoid about overheating.

Just FYI my machine isn't that different to one of yours:

Quad core 4ghz - 9800GT 1gb - 4gb RAM - winXP

PS. having the side off my machine dropped the temp to my GPU, CPU and PSU dramatically
The only reason that dropped your temp is you have the fan direction wrong or ypur PC located in a tight space.

The guy who blew his power supply 500 and 600 might be ok 5 6 years ago but seems low for a card that can run STO. HL2 and Aio are both fine games but older and tax the system less thatn STO
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
i saw the pop and flash come from the power supply tho

Faulty Power Supply is my guess. I have heard and seen them go. That is what happens. Power Supply problems are the hardest thing to figure out. Make sure and buy a good brand research your power supply needs and always buy bigger then you need. If you had a 600 watt try going with an 800 watt that way you have room for upgrading in the future. I like thermalake myself.