Lt. Commander
# 51
01-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post
Your PSU was barely able to run your hardware, your hardware got stressed and your PSU blew.

STO, while a common factor, is not the culprit.

Feel free to heard on over to overclock.net forums and join up; they'll help you work out exactly what happened, where the issues iny our PC might be and will talk you through returning the PSU/replacing it. Very helpful people.
i agree .. the powersuply was way to low on the watt output . it should at least be 750 - 1000 . a stress power suply will blow at some point when you stress it to mutch .. had same issue once my self =P i learnd from that ^^
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpierce28 View Post
Faulty Power Supply is my guess. I have heard and seen them go. That is what happens. Power Supply problems are the hardest thing to figure out. Make sure and buy a good brand research your power supply needs and always buy bigger then you need. If you had a 600 watt try going with an 800 watt that way you have room for upgrading in the future. I like thermalake myself.

So they tested the outlet and said the outlet was only 15 amps or something and replaced it with a 20 while he was testing it a blue spark shot across the room. He also said to get a new surge protector because the short didn't trip it... If I blow another one when it comes in the mail I'm going to get mad lol. Thank you guys for all your responses, I'll let you know if it happens again
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Games don't blow up PCs.
The only possible way I can think of for a game to adversely effect a PC to the point of failure, would be for example, using a Single Core Processor on a game that requires say a Dual Core Processor, as I have seen Single Cores overhead under such such circumstances, as some games justone run, while others will run, albiet wi the prevous mentioned overheating of the processor.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Is this a joke, c'mon this is ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
So they tested the outlet and said the outlet was only 15 amps or something and replaced it with a 20 while he was testing it a blue spark shot across the room. He also said to get a new surge protector because the short didn't trip it... If I blow another one when it comes in the mail I'm going to get mad lol. Thank you guys for all your responses, I'll let you know if it happens again
Good luck on the new power supplies, and like the other guy said, you may want to invest in a UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply). They tend to protect your equipment from brownouts, blackouts, fluctuations, etc.

Also, the spark -- if it came from the wall -- wouldn't have affected your surge protector, as it only went through the circuit breaker at the panel and the wiring in the wall and perhaps the outlet. Also upgrading the outlet from a 15 amp to 20 amp doesn't really do much unless it was originally wired wrong and he happened to fix it while replacing it. The circuit is still the same 14 gauge wire and the panel's 15 amp breaker is actually sized by code to allow the maximum safe current through that size wire. Allowing 20 amps through a 14 gauge wire can make the wire overheat and cause a fire. I'll just hope all the guy replaced was the outlet and that he didn't mess with the circuit breaker!
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloMinderbinder View Post
Is this a joke, c'mon this is ridiculous.

believe it, it happened not only to me, but also to one other person... god i hate being a statistic....
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
WTF ??? sound to some one doing somthing real stupit ... belive my im a electrion repairs man if i can sai that .... sound to me some one wanna start a big fire .... just get it replacet under warranty ... and get a bigger one .. then it will not blow up .....
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
ITT: People who do not understand electricity or computers, but still want something to blame.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-14-2010, 04:50 PM
at the end.. its your psu that blew up..

and unless you have a gigabyte odin pro, its not software controlled (or was that the odin gt... ) either way,
i got that psu, and its connected to usb to control overvoltage on each seperate rail blah blah blah..

but its IMPOSSIBLE to blow it up with software..

either you got a vacuum your house more to keep the dust out of your case,
or you should really consider placing surge protectors and/or making a dedicated powergrid for your computers (yay for dedicated groups)

im sorry you lost your psu's but its too funny you think that sto caused it

oh and lol at the blue sparks jumping ACROSS THE ROOM... that must have been at least 50K+ voltage if not 250K+

GL getting that out of a psu lol, its not a cascade
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
ITT: People who do not understand electricity or computers, but still want something to blame.
i love how people always want to turn things into a flame war. I have had these PSU's in those computers for about 2 years now with no problems. I built the systems myself, i just thought it odd that two of them blew up, and one other persons mind you, on the SAME exact screen.

if you read my other posts in relation to this issue, you will see that i called an electrician and he told me that the outlet was bad and replaced it. I am by no means computer illiterate, i built both of these systems and they have been working perfectly for quite some time now, i just skimped on the power supply i guess when i put them together, but never had any issues with them before.

When my new PSU comes in the mail i will start up the game again and see what happens. But i see no reason why this game is so demanding where i would have to get anything special electrical to play it.
If it blows another PSU with a new outlet, and new surge protector on the same screen again, THEN i am going to have serious issues.