Career Officer
# 1 STF"S are amped up a notch
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
rookies stay out please or get 12 then run them you are hurting team is not set up correctly please make sure you set boff's and doff's correctly

get tractor beam repulse
right know I think i am in a time warp of season 5
Survivor of Remus
# 2
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I have to disagree. Tractor Beam Repulsors in the hands of a newbie could prove disastrous.
Captain
# 3
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trygvar13 View Post
I have to disagree. Tractor Beam Repulsors in the hands of a newbie could prove disastrous.
QFT. Gravity Well would do much better, or just the single Tractor Beam if you really must have a hold.

Quote:
get 12 then run them
Not required. I use a mix of mk 10 and 11 equipment on a regular basis. Runs fine.

Quote:
please make sure you set boff's and doff's correctly
Not very helpful, eh? How are newbies supposed to know how to do this without anyone telling them? At least direct them to a guide or something; like this: http://hilbertguide.com/

1/10 on the productivity of the post there. Besides, I remember seeing a post almost exactly the same as this 3-4 months back. That guy was just trolling.
A Gensokyoan Mech-piloting Starship Admiral Rodent.

Take it easy!
Lieutenant
# 4
03-26-2013, 06:06 AM
I never thought I'd find myself wishing I could understand stupidese, but it sucks only being able to read one half of the conversation.

Someone want to translate the OP's attempt at a post for us poor sods who only understand English?
Republic Veteran
# 5
03-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazapsky View Post
I never thought I'd find myself wishing I could understand stupidese, but it sucks only being able to read one half of the conversation.

Someone want to translate the OP's attempt at a post for us poor sods who only understand English?
he's basically saying the STF's got harder and people who haven't run them yet hsouldn't run them until they have mk XII equipment.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 6
03-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
he's basically saying the STF's got harder and people who haven't run them yet hsouldn't run them until they have mk XII equipment.
And that they should get the right Boff abilities and active Doffs, and he recommends Tractor Beam Repulsors as a newbie ability.
A Gensokyoan Mech-piloting Starship Admiral Rodent.

Take it easy!
Lieutenant
# 7
03-26-2013, 07:58 AM
I find it kind of funny, if people open threads after a failed STF telling the newbies to stay out of the STFs and get better equip or so. Do you really assume, that newbie players read the forums and then do what you want them to do? Especially with tips they might not understand? I can understand the frustration, but i see this a bit different. From my experience (I played Diablo2 for 10 years) I can say, that it is possible (and can be fun!) to have a few inexperienced players in a hard mission, as long as these are open for advice. What is really annoying are people who do not know how it works, but refuse advice and to the same amount "pro players", who start calling the others idiots etc immediately if these are not as "awesome" as them. To show what I mean: A few days ago I joined a Cure ground elite. Three of the players never did that before. So I thought this would become a nightmare and it really took more than an hour, but it was actually big fun, because the three guys listened to us. So we could manage the mission including Armek. After that I asked why they joined and they said, it was an accident (the wanted to do space). So, even without equipment and experience, we could do it, because no one in the game was advice-resistent. And this is how online gaming should be, at least in my opinion. It should not be a "Noob stay away until you read forums, used calculators and bought gozu c-store ships". But of course, yes, you will always find lots of people in online games, that will cause you to be frustrated.
So, if you cannot accept, that missions get messed up by other due to experience, equipment or whatever, then I suggest you should find other players of your kind and avoid public games. There are enough possibilities, like fleets, forums etc to find these.
Captain
# 8
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
I think the op might be a newbie him/herself.

Mk XII is not required. Intellect is what's required to understand ship's mechanics to build a functional boat. Just learn how to pilot a starship i.e: search for ship build threads. As long as you can maintain a 5k dps (really not hard to do even with common gear), you're good to go.
I want an official persistent officer title.
**~Reality under scrutiny~**
@haudace
UFP Fleet: Operation Omega Task Force | KDF Fleet: KHG Klingon Honor Guard

Last edited by deokkent; 03-26-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Captain
# 9
03-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Really tired of seeing these 'n00b - stay out!' threads.

Always the same complaining with absolutely zero helpful advice or suggestions. Typically, they also are not run through a grammar or spell check prior to posting, either. Which certainly diminishes the strength of the message and the 'expertise' of the person starting them. I was stationed in Germany back in the Eighties and one of the things I find really sad is people to whom English is a second (or third language) normally read, write, and speak it better than most native English speakers. Further, threads such as this always bring this question to mind:

How can I be sure someone is an STO 'expert' when the only place I've ever seen them is here in the Forums posting yet another in a seemingly endless series of threads such as this one? Are there really so many trolls in the STO Community? And I am using the word 'Community' very loosely here.

I used to come to the forums looking for advice on how to play STO better. I have asked people ingame for ways to improve. As a newer player, I thought it was a good idea. But when all I get in return is derogatory remarks, and blatant disrespect from what appears to be the majority of the people in this so-called 'Community', why should I, or any other new player, even try? Apparently, people such as the OP are the norm and the kinds of people PWE/Cryptic desires as customers and forum members.

Been warned twice by the mods about postings such as this. So I suppose I'll get another one here and maybe even a ban. Meanwhile, people who start threads such as this sail right by the mods without so much as a harsh look. How typical of this Community.
The only 'must have' gear for any ship is a competent Captain.
Turkina Keshik of the Jade Falcons
HAIL (Disco) BA'AL!
Career Officer
# 10
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2448 View Post
rookies stay out please or get 12 then run them you are hurting team is not set up correctly please make sure you set boff's and doff's correctly

get tractor beam repulse
right know I think i am in a time warp of season 5
Actually that is the most newb thing I've heard TBR is the most annoying of abilities it's bad enough that romulan space traits actually give a pushback from space weapons which knocks the enemies around, you're going to suggest they get one that will make donatra fly off in an odd angle. The ONLY time it's worth it is against stationary enemies but these people don't use it for that nope, they gotta push enemies toward the time gate. smdh Very Bad Call!

What we need are some people who know what a tractor beam is and what it means to kill adds. Too often I see people just floating around not killing adds until there's ten spheres on top of everyone then they run off to the other side not touching the adds. That needs to stop immediately.

secondly, this nonsense of flying really close to donatra needs to stop, dunno how many times people keep telling newbs that she cloaks when they fly close they do it anyway like they're helping or something.

And finally they need to keep their chat window on so they can actually see a strat so that they don't do these kinds of things because some people do offer help in chat. Team is a channel worth your time keep it open. kthxbai

(Edit: purposefully mispells items to get on the grammar nazis' nerves even when they know I'm right)
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.

Last edited by the1tigglet; 03-26-2013 at 08:46 AM.