Career Officer
# 1 Galaxy map revamp
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I love STO and am a huge Star Trek fan.

I'm always looking for ways to make STO better and help it become easier to use while bringing it closer to Trek lore.

Something I thought would be a vast improvement to the game would be a modification of the current galaxy map that would simplify travel somewhat and bring it closer to what we have watched on the TV and movies.

As can be seen below the major change involves moving the Orellius sector block to a more logical place and physically connecting the Gamma Orionis block to the rest of the map.

These changes allow access to the Gamma Orionis block without Transwarp Conduit use (something James T Kirk did famously on a number of occasions to this 'frontier' area of the Federation (Cestus III, Mutara Nebula, etc). The devs can still restrict access if they wish at the 'border' between sectors, but there really is no need to do so any longer with the improvements the game has seen over the last number of updates. A side benefit would be that Transwarp conduits could become 'fast travel' portals to any other Transwarp Conduit (baring faction restrictions) instead of being 'locked' on one fixed position in space.

The changes also make going to the Orellius sector easier for both Federation and Klingon players by having it connected to the Alpha Trianguli, Eta Eridani, and Gamma Orionis blocks, while keeping in step with Trek lore (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Orellius_system). It also makes more sense here considering the Borg attacks on Defera (and the incursion at close by Donatu) as well.

These changes would also forshadow and make easier the possible 'seemless' (aka no load screen) travel across sector blocks that has been hinted at over the years.

All in all I think it is a win-win situation for everyone; we get an easier and more 'Trek'-like map to travel on, and the Development team has a better basis for creating that 'seemless' galaxy they have been looking for.
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Captain
# 2
03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Gamma Orionis is supposed to be a couple hundred thousand light years away from the the rest of the map, and the Orellius sector should burn in a Thalaron fueled fire.

<------ Not a Deferi fan.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Gamma Orionis is supposed to be a couple hundred thousand light years away from the the rest of the map, and the Orellius sector should burn in a Thalaron fueled fire.

<------ Not a Deferi fan.
Gamma Orionis is only about 250 light-years away from Sol. Incidentally, the Star Charts book puts it "south" of Klingon space.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 4
03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Gamma Orionis is supposed to be a couple hundred thousand light years away from the the rest of the map
Then why were there Federation outposts and colonies there in TOS?
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 5
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
Gamma Orionis is only about 250 light-years away from Sol. Incidentally, the Star Charts book puts it "south" of Klingon space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Then why were there Federation outposts and colonies there in TOS?
I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources. I will cite my sources.

The thing about the Orellius system is still true though.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 6
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhunter1 View Post
I love STO and am a huge Star Trek fan.

I'm always looking for ways to make STO better and help it become easier to use while bringing it closer to Trek lore.

Something I thought would be a vast improvement to the game would be a modification of the current galaxy map that would simplify travel somewhat and bring it closer to what we have watched on the TV and movies.

As can be seen below the major change involves moving the Orellius sector block to a more logical place and physically connecting the Gamma Orionis block to the rest of the map.

These changes allow access to the Gamma Orionis block without Transwarp Conduit use (something James T Kirk did famously on a number of occasions to this 'frontier' area of the Federation (Cestus III, Mutara Nebula, etc). The devs can still restrict access if they wish at the 'border' between sectors, but there really is no need to do so any longer with the improvements the game has seen over the last number of updates. A side benefit would be that Transwarp conduits could become 'fast travel' portals to any other Transwarp Conduit (baring faction restrictions) instead of being 'locked' on one fixed position in space.

The changes also make going to the Orellius sector easier for both Federation and Klingon players by having it connected to the Alpha Trianguli, Eta Eridani, and Gamma Orionis blocks, while keeping in step with Trek lore (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Orellius_system). It also makes more sense here considering the Borg attacks on Defera (and the incursion at close by Donatu) as well.

These changes would also forshadow and make easier the possible 'seemless' (aka no load screen) travel across sector blocks that has been hinted at over the years.

All in all I think it is a win-win situation for everyone; we get an easier and more 'Trek'-like map to travel on, and the Development team has a better basis for creating that 'seemless' galaxy they have been looking for.
Makes sense!
Career Officer
# 7
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
The Star Charts book shows Breen space is northwest of Cardassian territory and Tholian space is southwest of Cardassian territory. Gamma Orionis is substantially farther south (in the Beta Quadrant) and is on the western flank of Klingon space (the Gorn homeworld is a sector or two away at most -- fortunately Heretic knew this and put relevant Gorn duty officer assignments there when he was still working at Cryptic).
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)