Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
It is rather disappointing to have downloaded the client twice only to get incomplete (6.4gig file from FileShack) or corrupted (7.7gig file from FilePlanet) material...I'm personally in hour 3 of a DL with AtomicGamer, the only regret here is that it won't DL faster than 150kb/s. Please no corruption *crosses fingers*
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I did my homework, i got the collectors addition which comes with a bunch of non electronic stuff you can get if you DL only. and honestly i dont think i should have to pay fileplanet to download something that i already paid for. i remember when fileplanet used to be the go to place and now the just squeeze every last penny out of visitors.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyZ
Don't blame Cryptic for Fileplanet's shortcomings. I DLed through D2D and it took a total of 2 hours including install and patch.

Can I blame them for the one I got from fileshack that was missing files after being 100 percent complete. Everyone I heard of from fileshack had problems. I don't think fileshack packed the file. I think cryptic screwed up on there end and sent out a broken zip. Not everyone has the time or bandwidth to download 7 gigs over and over.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
You ladies should use the bittorrent download. Took me no more than 3 hours to download the client from start to finish on a shoddy connection. As for your complaints here, they should be directed at those places you're downloading from. It's their issue, not Cryptics.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT.Hamilton View Post
I thought so originally too but it seems to be a common problem across the board. i am currently downing the STO downloader but i am hearing alot of people on hour 30 of that download.
Count me as one of these. I'm using the STO downloader. I started about 10:00 AM on Monday. I've had it running all but 3-4 hours since, and I'm currently at about 68%.

And no, it's not my DSL. During one stretch when I shut the STO download off, I downloaded a 250mb+ game on my PS3 in 30 minutes flat. If I was getting similar speed from the STO downloader, I'd have loaded STO in about 16 hours. As it stands, it's going to take about 80. And it's not because of load on my server or connection. Most of that time has been with none of the other computers or game systems in the house even turned on.

I'm not mad, yet... it's beta, and it's free. But I'm definitely unimpressed. And I can't say this gives me a lot of confidence in the whole STO operation.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I wish I could use bittorrent. But the blame for that lies with my current provider...they immediately cap off your bandwidth if you start up a P2P service...grrrrrr I long for my fios
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Strange. I pre-ordered from Steam, it took about 30 min to download, and worked fine.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
yea anyone who did it through Stream or D2D had not problems, it just those of us who order from a stor and then had to go through a 3rd party to download, a mistake i wont make again. but i currently have the STO downloader and bigdownload.com goin and its slow but they both seem to be working. so we'll see
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
It is rather disappointing to have downloaded the client twice only to get incomplete (6.4gig file from FileShack)
Great, just what I want to hear, as that's the only one that would download at a decent speed (currently hovering between 400-550 kb/sec and it's telling me 3 hours to finish).

Quote:
You ladies should use the bittorrent download. Took me no more than 3 hours to download the client from start to finish on a shoddy connection.
Tried that, too, and it was hovering between 2 days and... 25 days to finish. No one was seeding it, and it was worse this afternoon than it was at 3 AM.

Also tried the downloader, and that was the most pitiful download speed I've ever seen, wouldn't go above 0.25 KB/sec, and most of the time sat at 0.

I didn't pre-order and just figured I'd give the game a shot because I've always wanted to try a sci-fi MMO, but I'm not going to spend several days trying to download the game. If the Fileshack download is corrupt or incomplete, I'm done.

Edit: Also, for those of you who said the file was corrupted, I hope you saw this posted on the official download page:
Quote:
Please note that some of our partners host the client as one large zip file, which requires a third-party unzipper like WinRAR or 7-Zip to open. (Windows' unzip tool will corrupt the zip file.)
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Last I checked the fileshack one was taken off because it was incomplete...if it isn't 7.7gigs you're wasting your time