Lt. Commander
Hello there to all my fellow STO players. I got up earlier than normal to see if I can actually log into STO. Once again, I ran into the "timed out" issue with logging in. Has anyone actually got into the game and played today? Anyopne has any information about what to do for this issue?
Lt. Commander
# 2 check your firewall
01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
check to make sure the application is not being blocked by your firewall on the pc aka windows firewall, zone alarms etc and\or a firewall on your router. if that is not the case then try unplugging your router and modem for about 3min then plugging them back in. usually if you are timing out, it is because something is not allowing the connection to complete
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I was initially able to log in. The log in process was slow, but it got me into the game. Then some time yesterday evening I started having the problem where the connection times out on the log in screen. I came here looking for solutions. Near as I can tell my firewall has the game client listed as trusted software so that shouldn't be the problem. I've also unplugged my modem, waited, plugged it back in and found no improvement. Any other suggestions on what might be causing the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 4 question
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Do you have any p2p or torrenting applications open as theese could hinder your connection and cause latency problems. Also make sure you are not having any issues with your antivirus software.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Nope, no p2p applications even installed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Miller
check to make sure the application is not being blocked by your firewall on the pc aka windows firewall, zone alarms etc and\or a firewall on your router. if that is not the case then try unplugging your router and modem for about 3min then plugging them back in. usually if you are timing out, it is because something is not allowing the connection to complete
Well, I remember "unblocking" the access, so it should be fine. I am not sure what's going on. I can log into World of ******** and play with no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
By the way, I actually downloaded STO from the STO link on the STO site, not a P2P service. Would there possibly be any issues with the download from the STO site vs using a P2P service?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I downloaded from the STO website as well, and it seems to me if it was a problem with the client downloaded from that source, the problem would have started immediately. I was able to log in a few times yesterday. It was yesterday evening that this problem started for me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I just solved my problem. When I was playing yesterday, I pinned the client to my taskbar (Windows 7). I've been using that to try to log in. I unpinned it and used the icon in my start menu and it worked fine. The screen that appeared when I tried to use the pinned instance is different from what appeared when used the start menu link.