Lt. Commander
# 1 I need a Engineer
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
This is where I miss the old forums, set up by ship class, anyways here is my questions. Does Emg power to shields, engineering team, or reverse shield polarity stack cool down wise like Tactical team? I would like to put a bit more heal into my cruiser, sense I am using beam and cannon, the directed energy modulation seems a waste. Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Ensign
# 2
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes, they do. And just like Tac Team, there's DOFFs available to help reduce the cooldown of those skills.

Edit: Well, perhaps not for Reverse Shield polarity unless you're using DOFFs that reduce bridge officer skill cooldowns on the use of Aux2Batteries. Still, if you're not using Reverse Shield Polarity, I highly suggest you try it out as it really can be a lifesaver in a tight spot. Particularly if you're set up to tank.
Career Officer
# 3
03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
EP2S is not on a cooldown with any of those abilities. It shares a cooldown with other EP2* abilities.

Eng team shares its cooldown with Tac team

I'm not an eng, sorry, so I do not know if RSP shares a cooldown with the innate eng rotate shield frequency, but it does share a cooldown with Extend sheilds.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2013, 11:40 PM
I think I should have been more clear, my apologies for that. What I mean is you have tact team one on two bridge officers. You can use the one, and the other will have a faster cool down then the one you used. So it allows you to have tact team up allot. What I was asking is can I do the same thing with eng team, emg to shields, and reverse shield polarity. By doing so end up with the same result. Thanks again and sorry for my lack of detail.
Commander
# 5
03-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaalom View Post
I think I should have been more clear, my apologies for that. What I mean is you have tact team one on two bridge officers. You can use the one, and the other will have a faster cool down then the one you used. So it allows you to have tact team up allot. What I was asking is can I do the same thing with eng team, emg to shields, and reverse shield polarity. By doing so end up with the same result. Thanks again and sorry for my lack of detail.
Yes.

However, note that Engineering Team also triggers (and is triggered by) activation of a Tactical Team or Science Team ability. If you want good hull healing ability, you could also go look at Hazard Emitters for the Science BOff or get an Auxliary to Structural Integrity, rank 2-3.

Use of Emergency power abilities efficiently requires cycling between at least two different types of the ability. If you are inclined towards support and raw tanking, cycle between Emergency Power to Shields (rank 2-3) and Emergency Power to Auxiliary (rank 1, increases the effectiveness of some heals).

It is not recommended to have more than one copy of Reverse Shield Polarity. Also, please note that RSP pretty much works the same across all ranks. It'll last longer as you go up the ladder, but only rank 1 is usually worth getting while rank 3i is only potentially useful with some builds (and still probably not worth it).

Last edited by eraserfish; 03-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 6
03-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Rotate Shield Frequency does not share a cool down with RSP.

As others have said, with a 2 min cooldown, there is little point attempting to maintain RSP uptime. It is meant to be used as a brief tank mode when incoming fire is high.

EptX can be run in pairs to maximize uptime, or run singly along with Damage Control Engineer duty officers who reduce the cooldown time to near enough the shared cooldown time, alloying for the same effect as if you had 2 of that skill.
# 7
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Thank you for the information. I think I got it figured in my head in such a way, I should beable to tank good, and still bring a good bit of dps as a tact. Thank you again for the help.
Captain
# 8
03-28-2013, 02:18 AM
In more depth: There are 3 different kinds of cooldowns.

1.) Basic/self cooldown: The time it takes the specific ability you used to be available again. Obviously the simplest case. If you have Torpedo: High Yield 2, and you use it, it will take 30 seconds to be available again.

2.) Shared cooldown: The time it takes for a different copy of an ability you used to be available again. If you have two different copies of Torpedo: High Yield 2, then the one you clicked will go into 30 second cooldown and other will go into a 15 second shared cooldown.

3.) System cooldown: The time it takes for all abilities attached to an ability group you used to be available again. If you have both Torpedo: High Yield and Torpedo: Scatter Volley, using one of them will put the other into a system cooldown because they are both attached to the "Torpedo" system of your ship.

Now, "Crew" is one of the systems. Engineering, tactical, and science teams all trigger system cooldowns on other teams as well as shared cooldowns in other copies of the same team type. In the case of the Teams, the system and shared cooldown are both 15 seconds meaning it's simply and intuitively impossible to use more than two copies of any kind of team. without cutting into their hypothetical availability.

"Emergency power" is more complicated because the shared cooldown and system cooldown on its abilities are not the same (30 seconds and 15 seconds, respectively). This means that you can cycle two copies of the same thing without any issues (e.g. 2xEPTS), but also you can cycle two sets of emergency powers (e.g. 2xEPTS, 2xEPTW) because the system cooldown of 15 seconds slips between the shared cooldowns.

In general, most abilities will benefit from having more than one copy of them but the increase in performance may not scale well. Transfer Shield Strength, for example. The basic cooldown is 45 seconds while the shared cooldown is 30 seconds. The active time is 15 seconds. What this ends up meaning is that a single copy of TSS is active 15 and sleep 30 (33% active time), while two copies will be active 15, sleep 15 (50% active time).

Use the STO Wiki to help you plan out your cooldown patterns in more depth, it's cheaper than retraining your boffs to see what's connected and by how much.