Lt. Commander
Little coding, relatively. Some things may be harder than I would expect. But these are some simple things I think can probably be done easily with little man-power at all and likely in time for the Romulans if they wanted.

1) When you Warp into a new Sector, have the ship maintain its last heading. Why do I come into a new sector facing the wrong direction? It can slow travel down a bit since we do not turn on dimes, and if we are in Slipstream it is extra annoying.

2) Have Duty Officers appear in our crew when we wander around our ship interior. They clearly have models, since their portraits are all CGI game models. Sure, many are pretty generic, but it would definitely feel more like our ship if we see some recognizable names aside from our Bridge Officers. This seems relatively easy to add and will make RPrs happy.

3) Allow us to make Uniforms for our crew as a whole. You can even make some money off of this as well. Start by letting us design for the basic Classes (Tactical, Engineering, Science.) Then if you pay extra to can gain extra costumes to specialize for Ops, Security, Medical. When you costume your crew you can load one of the Uniforms for them from the ship uniforms, and then modify to suit them. When we walk around our ship, they wear the right uniform.

I know ships and battle stuff sells better than RP stuff, but this is a really simple RP element to implement. I certainly would pay for the extra specialized uniforms myself, if they were not too expensive (500 Zen for all three sounds fine.)

4) Rank. The Rank system seems like it was left over from when the only way to determine such a thing was level, and now we actually have all sorts of accomplishments to guage Rank on.

From now on, once you hit Captain you stay as Captain. No more attaining Admiral simply by leveling up. We play Star Trek to be Captain Kirk, not Admiral Kirk. Kirk hated being an Admiral, and so should any brave explorer. We should earn Admiral through our accomplishments in Omega and Romulan Reputation systems (And possibly other areas.) This way you can up the level limit to 60 with ease without needing to worry about how it impacts Rank at all.

5) Why is there a timer on the Search feature in the Exchange?

6) Add a filter in the Exchange to remove unwanted Faction items. I am sure a lot of people wind up accidentally buying Klingon Boffs and Doffs from time to time, and if not then wading through pages of Klingon Boffs to get to the Federation ones is a pain. Adding Romulan to the mix just makes it worse. Please allow a filter for Factions. Maybe by default only search by your own Faction, with option to search other Factions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
A few comments of my own on these suggestions...

1) I understand your annoyance here, especially when flying ships with low turn rates. However, if you use the foundry, you'll understand why it occurs. STO uses player spawn points on its maps with predefined alignment. This makes sense in missions, where you often want the player to be facing their first objective, but is less applicable to the sandbox that is the galaxy map.

2) I also wanted this at one point. Less so now, since as time goes on, I find myself with multiple copies of the same DOFFs, or several different DOFFs using the same model. It would still be kind of nice, but I'd want more distinctive appearances for them if this were to be instituted.

3) I thought I read somewhere that this was being considered. Not 100% sure, though. It's certainly been brought up on the forums before. Part of the problem is that ship interiors are rarely used by a large fraction of the player base (as there's no real practical reason to go there 98% of the time), so investing time and resources into updating them is not likely to be a priority for the devs.

4) There are a million threads about how people dislike being admirals. While I agree that it would be nice to see Starfleet stop being the most top-heavy military organization in history, I haven't seen any indications that this is likely to change.

5) I would assume that it's there to prevent the servers from being subjected to tens of thousands of data requests per second. How the internet works is not really my speciality, but my understanding is "too much traffic = bad".

6) An exchange UI overhaul is in the works. I suspect that faction distinctions will be part of it.
Career Officer
# 3
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opheliadraegonne View Post
1) When you Warp into a new Sector, have the ship maintain its last heading. Why do I come into a new sector facing the wrong direction? It can slow travel down a bit since we do not turn on dimes, and if we are in Slipstream it is extra annoying.
They know about this and mentioned it eventually go away with the "1-sector to rule them all", that is hardly ever mentioned. (Guess they haven't made progress on the tech).

Quote:
2) Have Duty Officers appear in our crew when we wander around our ship interior. They clearly have models, since their portraits are all CGI game models. Sure, many are pretty generic, but it would definitely feel more like our ship if we see some recognizable names aside from our Bridge Officers. This seems relatively easy to add and will make RPrs happy.
Adding your DOFFs would cause loading to take longer as each NPC would have to be individually loaded.

Quote:
3) Allow us to make Uniforms for our crew as a whole. You can even make some money off of this as well. Start by letting us design for the basic Classes (Tactical, Engineering, Science.) Then if you pay extra to can gain extra costumes to specialize for Ops, Security, Medical. When you costume your crew you can load one of the Uniforms for them from the ship uniforms, and then modify to suit them. When we walk around our ship, they wear the right uniform.
Same as above, would require additional loading times. But this is more likely to be added than the DOFFs.

Quote:
4) Rank. The Rank system seems like it was left over from when the only way to determine such a thing was level, and now we actually have all sorts of accomplishments to guage Rank on.
Actually Level came with F2P, before that STO used the Rank / Grade system.

But people suggested many alternatives that yet gotten people's attention.

Quote:
5) Why is there a timer on the Search feature in the Exchange?
To prevent the system from being bogged down by thousands of players wanting instant results.

Quote:
6) Add a filter in the Exchange to remove unwanted Faction items. I am sure a lot of people wind up accidentally buying Klingon Boffs and Doffs from time to time, and if not then wading through pages of Klingon Boffs to get to the Federation ones is a pain. Adding Romulan to the mix just makes it worse. Please allow a filter for Factions. Maybe by default only search by your own Faction, with option to search other Factions.
Been suggested. Might happen when the Romulans go in.

But mind you, sometimes it does aid players. Like players using their wealthier characters to buy items off the exchange and gear up another character. Or with the DOFF system, KDF Medical DOFFs are expensive and hard to come buy, and have to buy cheaper Federation DOFFs for their starbase projects.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't think people RPing on their ship worry so much about load time. And it doesn't need to load every Doff you have, just a random chance any give crewman wandering around may be one of your Doffs.
Career Officer
# 5
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Doffs do have different portraits, but this information isn't saved with the actual 'doff'. It's just a picture, and you'd have to re-create it from scratch to get an NPC with those traits. Not to mention some doff's are 'painted' over npc heads to get exotic species like Xindi ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenvi View Post
Doffs do have different portraits, but this information isn't saved with the actual 'doff'. It's just a picture, and you'd have to re-create it from scratch to get an NPC with those traits. Not to mention some doff's are 'painted' over npc heads to get exotic species like Xindi ones.
That does complicate things a bit. That is too bad. I want Hamlet sitting at my Conn!
Career Officer
# 7
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Like all of them cept 3 they already allow you to save a uniform so you can have all your boffs look alike.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Rihannsu
# 8
03-27-2013, 03:47 PM
I've noted one thing from doing tour the galaxy... whenever your ship has the wrong facing it's pointed north. Coincidence? yeah right.... I'm guessing it's some sort of default.

As for showing doffs in your crew.... that's not easy. Not at all.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 9
03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Most of these would be nice (especially 1 and 4). However the Standard Code Rant applies (ok it's from CoH but Cryptic made CoH so it's close enough ).

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/9066/code2jq8.png
Captain
# 10
03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
There's all nice ideas, and I'd love to see most of them done, but your 'relatively' little coding is kind of funny. Maybe it's relatively little compared rewriting the whole engine, but otherwise, most of these are likely not.

Of course, I don't know know how the code actually is written in the game, but as a programmer, I have a likely idea of how it's probably done based on how they currently work, and most would be major undertakings with potential for lots of things breaking.

For example, with the first one, I would guess that when your ship is moved from one sector to sector and you're moved from one server to another which may or may not be a different physical computer, or a virtual one, so multiple things have to happen. Certain information is probably saved at that point, such as last known location, so that if there's a crash or some sort of failure, the game knows where your 'Normal' and 'Safe' positions are, condition of your ship, current ship condition, which of your active ships you are in, and so on. This might be done as an object, which may or may not also include position and facing information. However, the way spawning works in this game, the function doesn't appear to take an input for a facing direction, as observed through the foundry, and if that information is part of the player/ship object, then it ignores that. The orientation is obviously set with the spawn itself. To change it, you'd either have to modify the playerspawn function to add another parameter, which would possibly break anything that's currently using it, make it always use the player/ship object orientation function, which would definitely break all the current spawns that are setup that way. And while it might make sense that if I go to a sector edge while in reverse, I should be facing the way I came after I zone, I usually wouldn't want that anyway. And in some cases, it doesn't quite make so much sense. Like if it used your current facing, and you zone into a STF, you're going to have 5 ships all facing completely different directions relative to each other. There are ways to deal with all this, of course, and I can think of some - but 'relatively little coding' it isn't.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----