Lt. Commander
# 1 this game makes my OS crash
01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I didn't think much of it yesterday when it happened the 1st time i tried to start this game, cause the 2nd attempt went perfect all the way. But today it's happening every time.

So this is what happens. I log on to the client, i click the "engage" buttonand the game starts loading. i see a cryptic loading screen, atari loading screen, loading screen with federation badge on it and then my screen goes black. When my screen goes back on, windows is restarting.

I do not believe this is a hardware problem, or a case of my pc not being able to meet the preformances required for the game, for yesterday i was soaring across space, going where by now many have gona before.

Rummaging through other posts i noticed some people had their pc's shut down as well, and like due to overheating. I checked the temperature on my pc and it doesn't appear to be going above the 30c (or at least that's what the display says)

My point is, the problem was present yesterday but didn't persist. Today, it does persist. The only thing i noticed different between today and yesterday is an update i did to the game this morning.

I understand that at a beta there will be regular crashes of the game, but that the game puls the entire OS with it down is a first. Anybody have any idea about this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
yea i get this a lot.
last time i had it with ****, my pc would just freeze randomly and then all of a sudden it was ok?? (patch maybe)
im on windows 7 64 bit and my pc is way big enough for this game but still it caves in
i think theres some problems with windows 7 and new games
doing my head in cos i like what i have seen so far.

time will tell but if this persists i will cancel my pre-order and save for a new pc for the next big game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 12:54 PM
i'm working with windows xp professional (32 bit), so if you got such hard problems too it's going across more then one OS. as to other posts i've read here it's also having crashes on windows vista.

Like i said in an earlyer post, i don't think it's hardware or preformance related but instead a software error. If indeed so, the only thing i can do is wait for the devs to release a new patch, hopefully solving my problem.

Of course, is it really a game software issue or not, and if so, will the devs notice my post here and correct it, or do they skip it for some reason?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I have had a couple of VPU (ATI crash recovery) alerts. I have never ever seen 1 of these in 3 years of using ATI cards. I am using a slightly older than latest driver but never had a problems with any other recent game.

I also noticed that this game makes my GFX card run about 10c hotter than any other cause its almost always at 100% use.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I think I know what this is. If it's the 8600 or 8000 series nvidia the company pushed out bad chip sets that would overheat and kill peoples machines. to combat it they updated the machine to make all the fans turn on like crazy no matter what. If you start to use graphic heavy software it will shutdown in anticipation of overheating. It's part of the bios update that they released. Anyways if your machines a dell they have it on their main website to test it.

it would help more if you post graphics card info, and os info.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
graphics card: Nvidia 8800 GTS

Need more info?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
this was with the 8400 and 8600 mobile sets.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/a...-chips-faulty/

no idea mate.