Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I think that the in-game use of tractor beams is kind of messed up. I know that a tractor is a standard item that is available on starships when the ship is first constructed. It is a utility device that is added to help the starship conduct operations such as: landing shuttlecraft, grabbing a object in space and holding it for scanning. This device isn't something that is added after construction.
Decades ago I played a game known as Star Fleet Battles that is based off the material that you can find in the Frans Joseph Design Bureau book. This includes the United Federation of Planets, The Klingon Empire, The Romulan Star Empire, Tholian Assembly and many other races. On the Ships Systems Display for each starship is a device know as Tractor Beam. The rules of this board game allow you to operate this device to: Hold objects out at a range of 30,000km (each hex on the board is 10,000km), the tractor beam can rotate held objects, push objects away or pull them towards you.
This is a utility function that should be available to all starships in this game. The ability to drain shields and cause damage to a starship should be a "special" function that is available only as a capability of a "set" (The Borg Space Set), or as a Science Officer's or Engineer's training.
Star Fleet Battles offered many tactics that using the tractor beam:
The Gorn Anchor - By using the tractor beam you grabbed a target ship to keep it form turn a fresh shield to you.
Plasma Defense - By grabbing an incoming seeking weapon you could hold it so you could get rid of it with beam weapon fire.
Anti-Shuttle - By grabbing hold of a shuttle you could increase the speed of your starship which would cause the destruction of the shuttle. This is referred to as the Death Drag.

I feel that the tractor should become a function of any and all starships in the STO universe. I hope other players fill like this and that the Devs can make this a playable function of all starships with the ability to drain shields gained only as a Player or Boff/Doff skill.
Captain
# 2
04-02-2013, 09:05 AM
The problem is, where does it end? Just about every Boff ability is, in one form or another, something that could be considered a "standard" tactic/piece of equipment on ships.

This is one of those gameplay trumps realism moments. And it's one I actually agree with for the most part.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
All ships have tractor beams; however whether it is strong enough to hold a ship with its impulse drives active is another matter. The skill represents the special skill and ability and effort put into having a combat capable beam.

Though adding a Tractor skill that allows you to rotate a ship would be really nice.

Last edited by opheliadraegonne; 04-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Better,
all ships have a tractor that can used in story missions. There is actualy one you do.
The current skill has to be used together with a weaponized tractor beam. That slots into a weapon slot.
That is right, you replace a energy weapon with a high powered tractor weapon.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Captain
# 5
04-02-2013, 09:42 AM
The in-game use of a lot of things is messed up. But they had to invent restrictions, barriers, limitations and grinds to make an online game out of it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
On the situation that you are holding a starship and not a seeking torpedo (plasma torpedoes) you take part in what is called a Tractor Auction. This is where the two starships allocate energy to overcome each other. The held starship is putting in additional power to overcome that tractoring starship and teh tractoring starship is allocating additional power to overcome the tractored starship's attempt to overcome the starship.
Captain
# 7
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
The in-game use of a lot of things is messed up. But they had to invent restrictions, barriers, limitations and grinds to make an online game out of it.
Grinds do not a game make.

And all ships should have tractor beams, beam weapons, and torpedo launchers - the whole "oh look, I picked up phaser off a borg!" is ridiculous. Maybe they could drop upgrades that could be slotted into existing systems, but as is? ugh. They killed off STF rewards to "make things easier" - but the lie sets in when they claim it is for the players. Really it is for the developers and the GRIND FEST requirements.

I had no problem with the, as I recall, 12 STF drop types or how to trade them in as need be - but I have a huge problem with being jilted out of many hundreds of thousands of dilithium for some stupid lock box and a 3 months forced grind to be able to get back to the munitions that just needed a drop-rate fix on to be "more available to players."

Last edited by projectfrontier; 04-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
04-03-2013, 01:11 PM
As most have said, the game have Sacrifice a lot of functionality like the tractor beams and others which make up the ship normal systems. In other for them to do this they would have to rework how things work ingame.
"You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trwarbuck View Post
I know that a tractor is a standard item that is available on starships when the ship is first constructed.
Enterprise-B didn't get it until Tuesday.
Career Officer
# 10
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Look at it this way:

1) All ships DO have Tractor Beams. They are generally a non-combat utility device

2) The Boff powers related to Tractor Beams represent a Boffs skill in using Tractor Beams offensively/defensively in the stress of a combat situation.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."