Lt. Commander
# 1 A Federation Ship Design
04-13-2013, 06:20 PM
I have come up with a Federation ship design and I would like to submit it. How do I get in contact with a Developer to introduce the idea to?
Captain
# 2
04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
I am fairly certain they don't take submitted designs due to legal issues. You can try sending a message to Geko or Brandon on Twitter and ask about it.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 3
04-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Yeah, there are legal issues with using fan-generated designs and the like. I don't think they have a policy of accepting submissions.

You could always try, though.
Captain
# 4
04-14-2013, 02:09 AM
you could also share it with us for a start.
Get some feedback, etc...

in my opinion they could do a contest again for a starship design. Like they did with the enterprise F...one of the designs got implemented as the 1000 day vet ship.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 04-14-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Technically speaking, you could actually post up your design either on here or on your own website and designate it under the creative commons license. you would have to state that it is free for commercial and private use in all forms including derivative uses and that no credit is deemed necessary for the design. Technically you'd be giving up all rights to the design and credit for creating the design, but that would clear them legally to use it. However, even with all of that done it doesn't mean that they'd be allowed to use is as final decision would depend on their in-house policies.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
04-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
you could also share it with us for a start.
Get some feedback, etc...

in my opinion they could do a contest again for a starship design. Like they did with the enterprise F...one of the designs got implemented as the 1000 day vet ship.
After the catastrophe of the "design the next Enterprise" contest I seriously doubt they'll ever do a contest like that again, which is unfortunate for those of us that actually legitimately created and submitted designs.
Captain
# 7
04-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
After the catastrophe of the "design the next Enterprise" contest I seriously doubt they'll ever do a contest like that again, which is unfortunate for those of us that actually legitimately created and submitted designs.
could you please be more specific? i mean, i didn't like the enterprise f design, but are you refering to the process in which it was done? Or simply the outcome?

personally i like the idea that now and then fan-made stuff gets a shot at being implemented, and a contest seems a reasonable way to do that. Personally i think a jury of professionals is better to select the winner than a general audiance.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 04-14-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
04-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
could you please be more specific? i mean, i didn't like the enterprise f design, but are you refering to the process in which it was done? Or simply the outcome?

personally i like the idea that now and then fan-made stuff gets a shot at being implemented, and a contest seems a reasonable way to do that. Personally i think a jury of professionals is better to select the winner than a general audiance.
There were several things that went bad back then.
A flame war because some people felt the design they personally preferred (does not need to be the design they submitted) was not picked.

Only Americans could participate, which disappointed a lot of people (and resulted in some weird claims about racism) .
There was also at least one case where a person who could submit a design stole a design from a Canadian (who of course could not take part because of his nationality) and claimed it as his own.
Captain
# 9
04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I worked with Dark Horse Comics a few years ago, and they had a zero-acceptance policy for fan produced work. The primary reason is legal. If by chance they introduced something that's similar after a fan has submitted a project, they are open to a legal challenge over ownership of the idea. That process is even more complicated if you're talking about other companies IP, and Dark Horse is known for it's relationship with Lucasfilm and Disney.

The way you do approach fan produced content is identical to the 'Next Enterprise' contest that produced the Enterprise F, which was with clear ownership distinctions in the fine print.

But I digress...

Now this doesn't stop a fan from posting on an open forum his ideas. Star Trek is awash in grey market content. Ironically while CBS and Desilu trademarked the name Star Trek in the 60's - they did nothing to protect Starfleet, Kirk, Jim, Spock, or Bones as trademarks. Even the design of the ships - Enterprise, klingons, etc - were not protected by a trademark.

Now I digress even further....

These elements were trademarked late, driven by the reruns and companies wanting to make the occasional toy or coloring/fumetti book. By this point enough time had elapsed unprotected that numerous unlicensed products were available. I was one of those who made books for sale at conventions with ship designs that were 'star trek like'. CBS left us alone, but we were on their radar.

It wasn't until Next Generation that licensing finally was in full swing, and the grey markets were being stamped out. During the first season, many people didn't see Next Gen as a marketable product. By Season 2 companies were willing to take a chance on the IP. That killed our communicator replica business (which was 'awesome' back in the day).

It was at this point that conventions became professional, and you had to know someone in the organization to actually get a table. Grey market products were not allowed, and reps often came by our tables to ensure that we only had licensed products. Star Trek was finally a 'real' business.

I left the convention business and stayed away from grey market products. When the web became something everyone had access too, many of the books and grey market 'content' slowly made it's way onto the web.
Captain
# 10
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
As most have said: You don't.

If you submit something, and they make something that is potentially alike, dispite them having never seen it, you could poentially file, and win, a costly lawsuit...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos