Rihannsu
# 11
03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Why should they "prepare" for a surge that they are expecting and one that will settle back down to "normal" within a few days to a week?
Captain
# 12
03-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
Why should they "prepare" for a surge that they are expecting and one that will settle back down to "normal" within a few days to a week?
You're right .
I mean professional pride has gone out the window a long time ago , so what if this will be PR disaster # 376349980 ?

Just one more X on the belt .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Career Officer
# 13
03-28-2013, 12:30 AM
The following happens every time the servers go down, particularly when an update is being installed, I suspect that the May one will be worse than previous (due to the length of time it's liable to take), and it'll go like this:

Protest over how long the downtime takes.

Preemptive complaint over the extended downtime.

Impatience like the world has never seen, and MASSIVE overuse of the words "I" and "want".

Anger due to inability to log into the game once it IS back up from the kind of people who, sadly, seem to geninuely think that they are the only person who wants to play the new content, that the game revolves around them and them alone, and have NO understanding that the server will be having to try to cope with, probably, hundreds of thousands of players either trying to log in at the same time or playing the game.

Massive outrage over newly broken ______ (fill in the blank)

And there will be little, if any, sympathy or understanding shown to the poor devs/Cryptic employees who probably had to work overtime, and then some, to make it happen.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 14
03-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
The following happens every time the servers go down, particularly when an update is being installed, I suspect that the May one will be worse than previous (due to the length of time it's liable to take), and it'll go like this:

Protest over how long the downtime takes.

Preemptive complaint over the extended downtime.

Impatience like the world has never seen, and MASSIVE overuse of the words "I" and "want".

Anger due to inability to log into the game once it IS back up from the kind of people who, sadly, seem to geninuely think that they are the only person who wants to play the new content, that the game revolves around them and them alone, and have NO understanding that the server will be having to try to cope with, probably, hundreds of thousands of players either trying to log in at the same time or playing the game.

Massive outrage over newly broken ______ (fill in the blank)

And there will be little, if any, sympathy or understanding shown to the poor devs/Cryptic employees who probably had to work overtime, and then some, to make it happen.
I could not have said it better myself ....
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Republic Veteran
# 15
03-28-2013, 02:15 AM
If anything, we should be prepared, for queues, lag and crashes. A smart person would take May 21st off, and come back the day afterwards when things have been ironed out.
# 16
03-28-2013, 02:37 AM
When the new Trek Movie or perhaps let's say a really anticipated movie is launched that everyone wants to see it is not unusual to have to queue at the cinema to see it. I have seen queues for films go right out of the door and by the time you get to the ticket counter they are sold out, you have to wait for the next showing. Would people expect the cinema to build an entire new complex to cope with the opening night surge? No, of course not, you go on opening night you expect to queue, if you don't like the queue then leave it a few days and you'll be able to get it with little to no queue at all.

This game is much the same, everyone will want to login after the patch, do we expect them to double the server capacity for a demand that will last a few days at most? That is not a realistic prospect. Server capacity will be increased over the long term based on average player metrics and not sudden spikes.

If silver players don't want to queue then sub for a month, the queues for gold members are much shorter, you can cancel your sub after a few days and you won't have queued as much and you will gain many of the gold member rewards to keep forever.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Empire Veteran
# 17
03-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
Millions? Not quite.
Billions maybe?
Rihannsu
# 18
03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
yes there will be problems and crashes and the smart thing to do is not play on the 21st, take a day or two off and play after.

because of the nature of a patch everyone logs in at the same time. its not like the game is running and people are just filtering in. its a combination of people hitting the patch server, and trying to enter the game all at once, and often going to the same location. the number of loading screens that is part of this game do not help either. 12-24 hours later and things are settling down.

you can prepare as much as you like, there are always unanticipated problems. its a little like filling a glass of water and then finding tiny cracks that are only visible using water. you have no hope of finding or correcting them until it happens.

these guys have been running MMO's for years. If you know there is going to be a lot of players, queues and crashes then the guys who do this as their full time job for the past decade are going to know it too. you can prepare as much as you like but half the battle happens after you flick the switch.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 19
03-28-2013, 04:40 AM
never expect to play on patchday
Career Officer
# 20
03-28-2013, 04:42 AM
You havn't been around too long have you?

The anniversary event was stable and relyable and had a amazing uptime compared to previous releases for Featured Episodes or even Season 5...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos