Captain
# 1 Boldly They Rode
03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
For the most part I enjoy the mission, but I have one particular peeve.
I am attempting to sneak into DS9 from the outside, yet I have Captain Kirland hailing me every 5 seconds. Did whoever scripted this mission understand the concept of radio silence during a covert action?
I could accept some kind of guide that slides into view then disappears on it's own during the course of my space walk to remind me of what I need to do, but having to keep closing prompt screens that open with ridiculous frequency from that chatterbox idiot turns an otherwise enjoyable mission into an extremely unrealistic trial of patience.
Could we please get Kirland to shut the hell up?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
For the most part I enjoy the mission, but I have one particular peeve.

Could we please get Kirland to shut the hell up?
LoL... I second this idea...Kirkland always was a windbag.
Captain
# 3
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
My bad, the guys name is actually Kurland, never the less, he talks way too much during a sequence where realistically nobody should be making a peep. I do realize that we do get the occasional player that is denser than lead, but there must be a better way to hold their hands through the mission than this.
Career Officer
# 4
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
My bad, the guys name is actually Kurland, never the less, he talks way too much during a sequence where realistically nobody should be making a peep.
Speaking of Kurland, I'm hoping the voiceover for him can be redone. He sounds like a woman trying to speak in a masculine voice to me and it doesn't fit the character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
Speaking of Kurland, I'm hoping the voiceover for him can be redone. He sounds like a woman trying to speak in a masculine voice to me and it doesn't fit the character.
Hi. That's me. Not my greatest work ever, I'll admit.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Republic Veteran
# 6
03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
LOL Borticus!!!! Not too bad either, it's just the dang window pops up every 5 seconds. Makes the quest VERY unenjoyable, and its actually one of the better quests to play in the episodes.....could'ya, would'ya, please have someone fix it??? LOL
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Career Officer
# 7
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Ouch, it's fine Bort. Don't take player criticism too hard.

Once you've done this mission several times, it actually becomes surreal after a point being hailed by Capt Kurland.

You can breeze through the mission so fast, and require none of the voice overs, so you are hitting each objective with such a speed that every 2s it's:

Kurland here
This is Kurland
Kurland here
Kurland here
Kurland here
This is Kurland

"OMG STOP HAILING ME YOU STALKER!!!!"

Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
03-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Early testing showed that people got confused and lost on the map without having explicit directions. Didn't really help that it was the first spacewalk map!
Career Officer
# 9
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
I really liked your work on Part One. I think you were sick for the later sessions, if memory serves... and it does kinda throw off the voice.

Maybe you can get the luxury of rercording some if you ever get back in the chair.

That said, man... I think Cryptic must have been hazing you by casting you in that part. I mean, Kurland is one of those characters where half the people I talk to HOPE he's an Undine or a traitor or someone whose pushy dad (the kid from TNG, presumably being his dad?) shoved into Starfleet because... Well...

His record as commander of DS9 is VERY spotty, especially when you play the missions in order. Sisko lost command once in wartime in six years. Kurland loses command three or four times back to back in what seems like a few days or maybe even a few hours. I realize some of that is probably incidental but it's so blatant, I think the content guys should run with it.

It reminds me of Azuria in City of Heroes and how the main thing she became known for in the community was that EVERYBODY thought she was a secret villain. Or a bit of Malfurion in WoW. (I think the lines you recorded while sick somehow reinforced this further because it makes Kurland sound cranky, tired, and more than a little ungrateful. Again, I don't think it reflects on you aside from being sick but it reinforced the idea that Kurland was joyless and maybe easily corruptible.)

If I had my way, I'd be all for exercising your acting chops and giving Kurland a full heel turn. Those can be overdone in MMOs (questgiver/vendor betrays the players) but STO doesn't have many of them, which is funny since the plot is FULL of excuses for betrayals (Iconian cultists, mirror imposters, Undine, controversial wars, economic and social unrest).
Captain
# 10
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Where was Kurland telling me not to jump onto the premanade thru the hole in the roof ? I had to read the wiki to figure out how to get the access door open.

Kurland the stalker, abandoning me in my time of need.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?