Career Officer
# 21
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
It's not about luck.

It's about having a large enough sum to go the long stretch.

And I doubt anyone is going to give you any of their secrets. In my case I know of an item that people pay millions for you can find for as low as 500.

The best I can tell you is find out what items cost and work your way up.

That's going to take work same as everything else. And it's dynamic so you have to know what's going on in the game from week to week. Just like you have to have EC you are ready to part with without a profit.

Honestly though it's fun taking a risk, it's sort of the one thing in the game that's actually player controlled so don't shy away from it.
No, it's about luck.
Your "long stretch" is entirely random. It could take 1 try, or 100. It's luck based.
Career Officer
# 22
03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Personaly, if the crew damage stuff actually worked then the crew health stuff would be good to have. However, if your crew dies it doesnt really effect the fighting ability of your ship, so why waste the sci spots with purple crap that does not really effect game play.

But, I agree with the OP, getting a purple MK XII console that is beneficial to your ship is like opening a Lock Box and getting a Ultra Rare ship.

Just another thing to fix/tweek
"Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
1000 day vet and LTS
STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
Career Officer
# 23
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
No, it's about luck.
Your "long stretch" is entirely random. It could take 1 try, or 100. It's luck based.
There are 42 console types in 3 rarities each. 100 isn't even going to see all of them. Long stretch in this case is a sample size of 1000 or more.
Captain
# 24
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
It's not.

Either you have the EC to play it out or you don't. I am not denying it's expensive, I am saying it is.

BUT, if you do have he ECs there is no way you won't walk away without a profit.

In the case of lockboxes sure we all know it's a scam. You are way better off paying the ship on the exchange or get something from the c-store instead.

If you are going for one specific purple you are still able to sell ones you don't need it and buy the specific one on the exchange same way.
Career Officer
# 25
03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
It's not.

Either you have the EC to play it out or you don't. I am not denying it's expensive, I am saying it is.

BUT, if you do have he ECs there is no way you won't walk away without a profit.

In the case of lockboxes sure we all know it's a scam. You are way better off paying the ship on the exchange or get something from the c-store instead.

If you are going for one specific purple you are still able to sell ones you don't need it and buy the specific one on the exchange same way.
You could have a whole string of greens, or useless purple consoles.
There is absolutely no guarantee you will ever get a profit no matter how much you invest.
Career Officer
# 26
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:
You could have a whole string of greens, or useless purple consoles.
There is absolutely no guarantee you will ever get a profit no matter how much you invest.
In a statistically large sample size, the chances of that happening are negligible.
Career Officer
# 27
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
In a statistically large sample size, the chances of that happening are negligible.
Which does not change the fact that it's luck based.
Career Officer
# 28
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Which does not change the fact that it's luck based.
Qualitative arguments lose their weight when a quantitative analysis is performed. In a sample size of 1000+ you WILL make a profit on consoles because the chance of not making a profit is far smaller than astronomically small (we're talking probabilities of less than 10^-12 here). Would you not drive a car if I told you had had a 10^-9 chance of dying any particular day you drove?
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
1 million a pop isn't exactly going to make me rich when the in demand very rare mk XIIs are going for 50 mil+.
I'm speaking of a way to craft these items reliably. Why do we even have a crafting system that only lets us craft obsolete items?
Your logic is flawed, sir.

They only sell for 50m each BECAUSE they are rare. Rest assured, if the ability to craft XII purple consoles was released, the price would plummet FAST!

You could do what I did, invest your dilithium in character slots, level them - and run the mission on multiple toons. Ten characters = 12m EC every 74 hours. That's not too shabby (I power them up first). It should be 15m but the artifact market has taken a pummeling recently thanks to the doff packs!
Captain
# 30
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Well we don't have the math on the individual consoles.

Did they know at the time which consoles were valuable and also that changes over time for example plasma damage and season 7.

So, I can't give you an actual number just conclude that there is one. Luck is random chance and this is not random, it's governed by precise numbers.

It's going to be minimum 7 million is all I can say (from the last prices I've seen).