I do really like the pop ups when you want to change zone or talk to someone. they are nice.
going into combat on the ground changes the power tray colour which was very nice.
i love that in the character creator you get a better look of a uniform option, and in the character sheets you can rotate your characters and ships around. All that is fantastic.
the main character select page though looks a bit barren with your character floating in limbo. i think i preferred the bridge, but i guess that would make the ship above look out of place, unless you make that look like a holo projection?
I am a little less convinced with the starabase project contribution screens. i cant put my finger on it but it does not look as nice. its quite a minimalistic UI and something irks me there with the set up.
They could fill up that space with like earth space dock for fed, and different space docks for each... with your character and a window with your ship in it.
- I EXTREMELY DISLIKE not being able to spin my character during the "Race & Class" section of the character creator. You ought to be able to spin the character from any point when making a character to observe it properly. Please do not take any bad ideas from Neverwinter.
- There seemed to be in-continuity to picking faces / hair in the character creator's basic editor. If you merely hover over a face, you see a preview of it actually on the model before selection. But, if you try to hover over hair ... nothing happens. You need to actually SELECT hair to see it. Why is this? This seems unusual and inconsistent with how the other column works.
- I feel like if I open up the advanced character creation options, the basic character creation options (by that I mean the columns holding pictures of people's faces and hair and what have you) ought to go away. I don't need them. I'm not using them. The only thing they serve to do while I'm in the advanced option is obstruct the view of my characters shoulders and arms which I find kind of annoying. The UI is good but the basic mode makes it feel very cramped around my character. I understand if that's necessary, but in the advanced section? It's really not necessary at all.
- Hovering over the buttons next to "Torso Scaling Options" in the advanced editor yields messages such as "Reset All Values of Head" and "Randomize All Values of Head". The randomize value buttons don't work, and dragging the sliders around didn't work either: the values wouldn't "stick". The only way they'd stay in place is if I use the arrows to adjust them. Likewise, hovering over the buttons next to "Arms and Hands Scaling Options" yeilds "Reset All Values for Base Complexion" which I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with, and also next to "Lower Body Scaling Options" the button tool tips read "Reset All Values of Earrings". ... huh.
- After picking a basic head for the Alien part of the character creator, and then trying to select pieces from the advanced section, none of my selections would stick.
- Where's the save/load costume button? I need a save/load costume button please. Please. Please please please or RAAAGGE.
Inside the Game
OH MY GOD UI IS AMAZING OMAHADGFHGHSDGHGHHJSK!
I can really find no complaints here. Granted I haven't delved into the chat system yet but ... everything else looks great.
If your bridge officer pops up in space, he should have a bulkhead or technical screen behind him, not look like he's in the viewscreen. That's the ONLY critique I can find!
I am a Cheestah.
Check out my Foundry missions
Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
Last edited by thehavraha; 03-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.
My macros don't work. I don't have the benefit of a gaming keyboard, so I'm using software to activate certain abilities in certain sequences (something that STO's default keybind option can't do).
So for instance, when I hit the 2 key, my program uses control send to activate the powers in the second column (number 0, by the keybind settings) starting at the row 0, then row 1, then row 2. This way I can activate my tactical buffs in sequence rather than having to button mash, like I did back when I had the default keybinds.
However with the new tribble patch, while I can confirm that the program is sending the commands to the game (it'll type in the chat box when I have it selected), when I don't have the chatbox selected.... nothing. Not even that error/can't activate noise, so I'm wondering if you guys did something to disable or limit macro functionality.
Again, as I lack a fancy keyboard, if this is intentional it really seems to me like yet another "Well you should go out and spend 300$ on a keyboard if you don't want to button mash all day" sort of thing, which is IMO kind of elitist. I don't have 300$ to spend on a fancy keyboard.