Career Officer
Quote:
Foundry:
The default Foundry mission search now sorts by a weighted rating and not the average rating.
Any one wanna wager a guess on what this means?

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Zero explained it in the PrimetimeUGC interview a while back. Basically, the Highest Ratet list sorts missions based solely on average rating. If a mission stats out with 5 5-star reviews, it shoots up to the top of the list. The new system will take play count into consideration and weight them accordingly.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 3
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Zero explained it in the PrimetimeUGC interview a while back. Basically, the Highest Ratet list sorts missions based solely on average rating. If a mission stats out with 5 5-star reviews, it shoots up to the top of the list. The new system will take play count into consideration and weight them accordingly.
Oh shoot I remember that interview now, thanks

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 4
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
But the question now is: How do new missions make it to the top? Is there still a new listing that sorts simply by 5 stars? If not, then an auto-republish during a season update will just match the top-rated listings, burying any actual new missions.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
The Green Dragoon got it in one.

Yes, this is the thing that takes into account the number of reviews something has.

Right now all the Tribble projects are being republished, but we should see the change once they're complete.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 6
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
But the question now is: How do new missions make it to the top? Is there still a new listing that sorts simply by 5 stars? If not, then an auto-republish during a season update will just match the top-rated listings, burying any actual new missions.
There is a "new" filter. Players can look for new missions specifically with it.
Further, once there are about 30ish reviews, the adjusted weighting starts to converge with its average review score.

The other issues with search are being investigated and shouldn't be conflated with the new weighted scoring.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Guess we'll kinda have to see how it functions in practice. Tribble isn't exactly the best test environment since there are only a few published missions and most of those are test missions.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 8
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
There is a "new" filter. Players can look for new missions specifically with it.
Further, once there are about 30ish reviews, the adjusted weighting starts to converge with its average review score.

The other issues with search are being investigated and shouldn't be conflated with the new weighted scoring.
Thanks for the answer. It will be interesting to see how this affects the lists.

Does it mean that a mission with 3,000 plays with an avg of 4.0 stars will have a better weight than a mission with 450 and the same rating?

I'm guessing it does, so essentially new missions won't show up in the top-rated, unless the convergence happens quickly.

Just please be careful. If the following happens, it is bad: 1. The disappearance of new missions from top-rated + 2. The auto-republishing of all missions = 3. The inability of players to find new missions, except through custom search.

Over time, all listings would become standard list that does not really change, unless it works differently than I imagine.

Last edited by kirksplat; 03-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Rihannsu
# 9
03-28-2013, 05:24 PM
People use something other than custom search?

Hehe, I guess it's time to go and polish Seh'lat barbecue. (KDF Tribble) The original was.... minimalistic in it's dialog.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Thanks for the answer. It will be interesting to see how this affects the lists.

Does it mean that a mission with 3,000 plays with an avg of 4.0 stars will have a better weight than a mission with 450 and the same rating?

I'm guessing it does, so essentially new missions won't show up in the top-rated, unless the convergence happens quickly.
If convergence is starting at 30 then I think by 400+ ratings weighted will probably be close to matching actual, same as 3000.

What it does me is we wont be seeing stuff on the top of the list with just one 5 star rating (still not sure how these get out of review phase with just one review)
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry