Lieutenant
# 131
05-06-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm always surprised at how my opinion is so completely opposite to everyone else's on gaining Marks.

During the winter event, I managed to rack up over three thousand Romulan marks through Winter Epohh breeding.

Even without that, the actual epohh breeding nets 400 Romulan marks every few days, for absolutely minimal work. Beyond the quick tagging run, it's literally just starting up a DOff mission every day.

Meanwhile, Omega marks mainly involved running the same elite STF every day for months. If I could stomach it, I'd sometimes do two. But the normal STFs didn't give enough marks to be worth it, I felt, and there's only one Elite STF that's reliably beatable with a PUG.

If I ever try to get rep on a second character, I'm far more willing to spend five minutes a day on Romulan marks than doing that STF fifty more times.

Now yes, I understand that's my own fault. I could have joined real teams and done the other Elite STFs. But again, that just takes more time.
Commander
# 132
05-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito214 View Post
I'm always surprised at how my opinion is so completely opposite to everyone else's on gaining Marks.

During the winter event, I managed to rack up over three thousand Romulan marks through Winter Epohh breeding.

Even without that, the actual epohh breeding nets 400 Romulan marks every few days, for absolutely minimal work. Beyond the quick tagging run, it's literally just starting up a DOff mission every day.

Meanwhile, Omega marks mainly involved running the same elite STF every day for months. If I could stomach it, I'd sometimes do two. But the normal STFs didn't give enough marks to be worth it, I felt, and there's only one Elite STF that's reliably beatable with a PUG.

If I ever try to get rep on a second character, I'm far more willing to spend five minutes a day on Romulan marks than doing that STF fifty more times.

Now yes, I understand that's my own fault. I could have joined real teams and done the other Elite STFs. But again, that just takes more time.
Gl finding a tholian epoh
Captain
# 133
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Also enjoy being *required* to purchase Dil to buy Romulan gear (which is junk you could replace with the Jem'Hadar set for free) since your Romulan mark farming will produce exactly 0 to help cover the costs of your set.

Also, if you can't consistently beat Khitomer Vortex Elite in a PUG, you're part of the problem and should probably try harder.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Community Moderator
# 134
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
45 isn't nearly early enough to have any meaningful impact at all.

There is no way to earn enough marks from 45 to 50 to both level up rep and have anything left over for meaningful gear.

30 might do something. Even then I don't really see how you'd be able to earn enough marks to tier up and buy gear before 50 with the way the game works. But that leads to needing to redesign the entire system, essentially.

It's endgame content, and should be treated as such. Putting equipment out there during endgame content and then saying "well, see its not actually supposed to be good" is indefensible.
The reason I suggested level 45 is because that is the point at which you are able to access normal STF's and use Mark XI items. Level 40 doesn't work because you don't have access to STF's before then and the Omega Rep is pretty much all about STFs.

Level 30 is not "endgame" and there aren't really any items in the Rep stores that can be unlocked for level 30 characters.

I'm going to assume that Cryptic never intended that players should arrive at Level 50 with their Reputations anywhere near maxed out and enough Marks left over to buy Rep/STF gear. Level 45 would only give you a bit of a jump on the Reputation system, true, but I think it's better than waiting till level 50 even if it just got you partway to Tier I.

I think the biggest issue here is that by Cryptic's definition the Omega gear is supposed to be an earned reward for running STF's and elite STF's in particular. Supposedly elite STF's are the hardest content in the game and they definitely aren't meant to be soloed, so the rewards should be better than for easier content. At least that's the party line.

If the content for the Romulan Reputation is substantially easier and not restricted to teams, then it might be reasonable to conclude that the rewards would not be quite as good.

It's pretty clear that there are meant to be different levels of difficulty for "endgame" content.

The question is not, therefore, whether all endgame rewards should be equally powerful. As there are different levels of endgame then different levels of reward may well be appropriate.

The question is, are the rewards for doing Romulan Reputation appropriate for the grind involved? Cryptic seems to think "yes" but we have a lot of people here who say "no".

I'm going to admit that it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to grind two, three, or four times as long for gear that's inferior to what you'd get putting less time into doing elite STF's. Might as well do the STF's and forget about the other gear... that's the argument at hand and I think it's a valid point.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lieutenant
# 135
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Also enjoy being *required* to purchase Dil to buy Romulan gear (which is junk you could replace with the Jem'Hadar set for free) since your Romulan mark farming will produce exactly 0 to help cover the costs of your set.

Also, if you can't consistently beat Khitomer Vortex Elite in a PUG, you're part of the problem and should probably try harder.
And why would I purchase dilithium? I'm not rolling in it, but I've made plenty. Easily enough to buy all the Rep gear I want. And why would I be required to purchase it anyway if the Romulan gear is junk? That makes no sense. I'll spend it on the Omega stuff, thanks. Anyway, I was talking about Marks, specifically - Romulan ones are easier to get, for me, putting aside dilithium concerns.

And like I said, I haven't tried any other Elite STFs. Sure, I get bored doing the Conduit over and over, but it's a sure thing. That's my own problem, though.

And a Tholian epohh would be adorable!

Last edited by mosquito214; 05-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 136
05-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Need some space methods of gaining Nukara marks. Grinding marks ON Nukara for fleet marks was bad enough. Now for Nukara marks? No thanks. Another method, please.
Commander
# 137
05-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveimperator View Post
Need some space methods of gaining Nukara marks. Grinding marks ON Nukara for fleet marks was bad enough. Now for Nukara marks? No thanks. Another method, please.
Agreed the equivalent would be like only being able to get omega marks from Drefarra; how do you think that would go over? So far it's starting to look more and more like I'm just gonna skip the Tholian rep system completely once it hits Holo on all my toons even my main. lol the one thing this game needed was another currency...sigh
Lt. Commander
# 138
05-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribbleorlfl View Post
Has there been anymore info gleamed about the Refracting Tet weapons? Is the proc similar to a chain attack? That's what it seems like judging by the name. Is the Tet proc or base damage increased at all from conventional tet weapons?

When I first heard about the Tholian Reputation, my hope was we were going to get the Phased Tet weapons Tholians use and were previously available in the Tholian loxboxes. They are my favorite hybrid Weapons (and second to me in-game only to Elite Fleet Weapons). I used to fly a Tac Oddy w/ full Mk XII (Acc)x2 beams. Now, however, I fly a FHEC and the exchange prices for Phased Tet cannons are waaaayyyyy too high BC of dwindled supplies to equip.

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for Tholian lockboxes to drop again, unless these Refracting Tet's change my mind.
Couldnt agree more, though I would have been satisfied with having the disruptor proc instead of phaser. The refracting proc looks seriously disappointing, though it would be a lot better if it had higher range and/or proc chance.

Also: they seriously need to add a space way of doing this. Cant stand Nukara ground.
Captain
# 139
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
One quick note about why STF > FUN then say Azure Nebula.

Rising Tension

Seriously the pacing itself is sooo much better in STFs than any other content in the game. Which is why they are so much freaking fun. It is not rocket science.

The original 3 STFs start out at a low level of tension with the opening battle. Then the tension goes up/down/up/down as you progress fighting against the clock. Finally the climax of the boss battle happens although that point varies slightly as I'd say CSE's boss is the 3 neg'var or raptor spawns the carrier at the end is a wind down.

But yeah aside from being DPS fests the STFs have amazing design when it comes to tension. Have your writer assist you in that if needed as I'm sure she has a better understanding of the concept that your content team (no offense intended).
we must be playing different games. I think some of the ground ones are OK and fun to do if you have good groups.

But the space ones bore me to tears. They are mostly blowing up stationary objects with extremely high hit points. I dont actually see any pacing.
Career Officer
# 140
05-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Here's an idea:

Add Piercing Tetryon and/or Polarized Tetryon to the Nukara Reputation system.
Both should obviously come in the purple flavor with 2 modifiers of player's choosing.