Ensign
# 151
03-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Could you change the default chat window to Team, instead of Zone. This could solve many problems simultaneously.

What happened to moving EV suits to a separate slot instead of swapping Armor? Is that going to happen a later season?
Commander
# 152
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
I would ask that everyone keep in mind this is all a work in progress. I have a feeling some of the "complaints" are actually being worked on and just not ready yet.

It doesn't hurt to voice your opinion, don't get me wrong. Just keep in mind when you post that what you see may not be the final design. Tribble is a test server, after all.

Having said all that, I do still voice that a more rounded LCARS styling on the Federation UI should be used instead of rectangular, square, or sharp-edged windows and menus.
Career Officer
# 153
03-29-2013, 02:28 PM
First impression: please revert to the old code

But since that won't happen, here are some issues that might have a chance of being adressed:

• It's unnecessarily hard to see which systems are active and which are disabled because each system has its own "active" colour. A simple green = okay, red = disabled or other 2-colour scheme would be better.
  • Maybe my LCD doesn't have the best contrast ratios, but for me the window borders are almost invisible unless I increase the brightness to a degree where everything else in the game starts to look really silly.
  • Since you are fiddling with the UI anyway - maybe you could fix the performance issues when many things are being displayed? (i.e. the entire problem of the UI being CPU-bound and giving huge framerate drops when windows with lots of entries are open, like mail or foundry mission listings)
  • Why are my own Boffs talking to me via the viewscreen?
  • Swap the position of kit and shields in the character window.
  • When I use the mouse wheel to zoom in on my toon in the character window, it zooms towards the hips - I'd expect a zoom towards the face (or towards the region I point at with my mouse). [Also: rotating the character seems to rotate both the model AND the position of the lightsource - this feels weird.)
http://hilbertguide.com
Lieutenant
# 154
03-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindarius8 View Post
i wish we would have an option to use the current HUD from holodeck and the new HUD from tribble because i really hate the new one and i know many other people who agree with me.
Finally, someone with taste. And im not saying it is all bad. I'm saying the aesthetics are horrible
" I believe that I speak for us all sir when I say: To hell with our orders." - Lt. Cmdr. Data
Empire Veteran
# 155
03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekker22 View Post
Finally, someone with taste. And im not saying it is all bad. I'm saying the aesthetics are horrible
So now you're insulting us? Just because we like the new HUD doesn't mean that we have bad taste.
--------------

Self proclaimed Emperor of the federation!

Support my new imperial edicts for a better federation!!!
Career Officer
# 156
03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
I feel like there are a significant chunk of people who believe that "Good UI design" = "MOAR CHROME".

And honestly I feel sad about that. It was silly when Microsoft did it moving from Windows 2000 -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista (remember the complaining about how Windows had become fisher-price with all the colors and transparency effects?) and it's especially silly in STO because ST's user interfaces are almost entirely devoid of skeumorphism and high contrast.

In this, I think that the current UI is a decided improvement: Not only does it move more toward what a ST UI 'should' look like, but it also drops much of the window chrome that had been plaguing UI design through the 2000s.

Also, it does bring many improvements in key places where that improvement is meaningful and warranted. For example, rather than being just flat 2D images, the ships and officers in the user panel are now 3D and can be rotated and zoomed.

Just adding more shiny doesn't make a UI better.

That said, the new UI is currently extremely buggy. But from a design perspective, it's worlds better.
It's also worth noting that several people have reported that it runs better, less lag.
All Good Things Must Come On Tuesday. (it's a liiiink!)

Musings of a Mad Man; Or, What This Game Could Fix

<--Click for how to get one of these.
Career Officer
# 157
03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
- BOff contacts on viewscreen. Your the Captain, aren't they sitting next to you on the bridge?
The viewscreen contacts are a real issue. Not every contact is someone you're speaking to on the viewscreen, not even in space. On the ground the current contact window is more appropriate. In space, it's sometimes appropriate and sometimes not. I would like both types of contact dialogues preserved.

At least in the Foundry, it would be nice to be able to select whether it's a viewscreen contact or a normal, in-person contact.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 158 How to change the UI
03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Ok i have been told the UI is bugged and i have to edit my gameprefs file to fix it but i cant seem to find the post that explanes it could someone fill me in
Career Officer
# 159
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptifallingsky View Post
The alternate color palettes are available right now, but due to a bug in the current build, the option for selecting the color palette isn't available. However, it is possible to edit GamePrefs.pref and manually select one of the alternate color palette by adding a new PrefEntry for ColorPalette.

e.g.
PrefEntry ColorPalette Federation

The available color palettes are Federation, TNG, Voyager, Klingon, Gorn, Orion, Romulan, and Reman. The color palettes with the greatest differences are Federation, Klingon, and Romulan. The remaining color palettes are based off of one of the faction generic color scheme so there'll be some similarities.
You add the above example's line to the gameprefs file, replacing Federation with TNG, Voyager, Klingon, Gorn, Orion, Romulan, or Reman.
----
Republic Veteran
# 160
03-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Since this is here. How do you change the gameprefs file?

I tried opening it, but I got a "windows can't open this type of file". I know several people have been able to do it, so how is it done?