Lieutenant
I like the Fed new UI just find, but the klingon ui is too brown. Also I think a little work on some of the padding could really make it look like isn't just a color variant of the federation ui.

I just drew over a picture of my screen, so it isn't very professional, but here is what I had in mind.

There is a lot of difficulties putting a klingon rhombus shaped display on a square monitor, so I realize that doing it properly would be a very daunting task for the designers. It is more of just a way to help brainstorm what the ui could look like. Hope it inspires some creativity.

http://www.use.com/e928a5bff1e87b1cced9
Empire Veteran
# 282
04-03-2013, 05:04 AM
I would still like the option to turn the black backgrounds transparent, which I think would improve the look immensely.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 283
04-03-2013, 06:13 AM
I haven't played much on Tribble yet, and I don't know if these have been mentioned already, but here's my first impressions:

1) All the curves on UI element corners are jagged, like they were drawn in MS Paint. I'm guessing this is part of the colour-changing functionality (hard to blend edges when the colours can be customised) but it does make the UI look rather out of date.

2) Boffs and other "face to face" contacts should not be appearing on a viewscreen. Simply losing that overlay for them would suffice.

3) This one definitely has been mentioned: the black boxes around elements. Please please please make them transparent.
Career Officer
# 284
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Two things I noticed playing in the UI

1: Buttons on the Fed interface don't have rounded corners. Specifically, selected buttons in menus. They look out of place with all the other rounded corners. (its not a big deal on the Klingon interface, since that's all sharp corners)

2: When using the TNG color scheme, interact buttons become difficult to read if they are selected, but not hovered over.

For clarity, I've attached a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/QSmkUOw.jpg

(edit: upon playing a little further, that interact color sucks. It's too bright. Especially in sector space, as that's what the planets I'm zooming past have their little info pop-up show as. All the other schemes have a relatively dark color, but this one is bright bronze. I want to love the TNG scheme, but that's a no-go for me.)

Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form

Last edited by valiant797; 04-03-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Career Officer
# 285
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant797 View Post
Two things I noticed playing in the UI

1: Buttons on the Fed interface don't have rounded corners. Specifically, selected buttons in menus. They look out of place with all the other rounded corners. (its not a big deal on the Klingon interface, since that's all sharp corners)

2: When using the TNG color scheme, interact buttons become difficult to read if they are selected, but not hovered over.

For clarity, I've attached a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/QSmkUOw.jpg

(edit: upon playing a little further, that interact color sucks. It's too bright. Especially in sector space, as that's what the planets I'm zooming past have their little info pop-up show as. All the other schemes have a relatively dark color, but this one is bright silver. I want to love the TNG scheme, but that's a no-go for me.)
There's a similar issue with the Voyager UI style. Outside of ESD for example, the beam down to Starfleet Academy and Warp Out buttons need to have their background color changed to the blue within the theme. Personally, I would like the ability to create my own UI theme. Is this possible using something similar to the tailor to create UI themes that can be added to the drop down?

Edit: There's a similar issue with the same Voyager UI but in sector space. Although the button to enter the system fades to something readable, it starts off almost unreadable.

Edit 2: Yet again but on the ground with the Voyager UI. Yes, it does eventually fade but it's almost unreadable before it does.

Last edited by jcsww; 04-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Lieutenant
# 286
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
Honestly,
that gui will cost you players.
It is a mess, unclean, wastes to much space, all those useless black containers for everything.
It is visually not appealing nor clean. The preset color choices are just dull, there is no live in the gui, everything is pastel colors and black.

Sorry Thomas.

Can i have the option to use the old gui?
I agree, this new UI is not clean whatsoever. It makes me want to go play WoW when i looking at it for some reason.

Would be nice to have the ability to change back to the current UI once this new one goes live to holodeck. I really hope the dev's read some of the feedback in this thread.

It looks as if they did this with Microsoft Paint in windows 3.1
Survivor of Romulus
# 287
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
The UI looks slightly more smoothened and better on the patch 2, however it still is pixelated and so is the font. Since this is a WIP and there was improvement in Patch 2 UI, I'm hoping by patch 3 it should get better.

My next complain is with the Voyager UI, again I suspect this was left off since UI is still WIP, but on sector space, white font on bright white/silver parts of "Disable Astrometrics"or "Red Alert" is really hitting the eyes. Either the color for that block or the font color needs to be acomodated for better viewing.

EDIT: Also I forgot complete. The new pop up message UI by the NPC, your BO during STFs, or starbase docking NPCs is too large and needs to be scaled down.

Last edited by captainwestbrook; 04-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Career Officer
# 288
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm going against the grain and I'll say that the new UI is growing on me.

Somethings I'd like to see:

Some more UI color options for the major fed races (especially andorian & vulcan).

TNG LCARS look needs a bit more to make it pop, a little too much pale beige.

Resizing the minimap and placing the minimap on ground means it also changes location and size in space.

Is that working as intended?

Lieutenant
# 289
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
I'm going against the grain and I'll say that the new UI is growing on me.

Somethings I'd like to see:

Some more UI color options for the major fed races (especially andorian & vulcan).

TNG LCARS look needs a bit more to make it pop, a little too much pale beige.

Resizing the minimap and placing the minimap on ground means it also changes location and size in space.

Is that working as intended?

Well at least one person likes it..unfortunately me and alot of others in this thread disagree. The thing is low res and hideous.

The character creation screen is fine, but the character selection screen is bad...its very low resolution, jagged edges, cheap and generic in appearance. This is with quality settings on max and high end vid card.

I just want an option to revert back to the old system when this pile of garbage goes live.
Rihannsu
# 290
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Just patched and tried to play this morning. My starship's only stations are the away team roster. I literally can't assign any BoFFs to the bridge of my ship or shuttle.

Not sure if other people are experiencing this or not.

Also, the look of the new UI is kind of... not functional. Very blocky, bulky, lots of empty space. I assume maybe it offers better client performance, because it doesn't offer any functional or aesthetic advantage that I can see.

I'd honestly rather have the live UI, and just give us the option to change the color of different elements. Even something as crude as "Blue/Green/Red?" for overall UI look would be a massive improvement on live, or what's on Tribble.

Last edited by voxinvictus; 04-03-2013 at 10:29 AM.