I was testing the new gameUI system. And suddenly I saw some mistakes (as for me).
Although, this new UI system is going to be a really good idea and I do hope it will be okay.
I switched on my fps to see how is the new UI's working . There was no improvements on it yet. As for me, I have still that little 20-28 fps.
When an auto-hail is popped up, that has a too big window, with a big face, and too big buttons, than the old one (what is the current one on Live server). I think just a little reduction of the window would give it a better view.
I think more gameUI parts would need free customazition. For example, the ship throttle would be better if could be hidden by players. Also allowing more changing with width and height of parts of HUD.
It's a little bit other thing. I do think the server would not lag if for example every skill on the tray in ESD, SFA and Sol system would be disabled. Not allowing to pushing them, because many-many times the players just pushing them in boring and it makes the server's lag.
I think, there would be less server pressure if one instance just includes 50 players, not 75. It's for those, too, whose computer or internet has less performance.
The pvp map, named as "Solar Wind" have to be converted, because of its lagging and moving background.
Before I get into the rest of this post, I do want to say that I do appreciate the work you guys are putting into this game. I doubt I could do a better job, but you asked for feedback, so I'm gonna give you honest feedback.
I am sad to say I'm not happy with the new UI, for several reasons.
1. It's very dark, literally. But then, the entire game is rather dark for some reason. I have to run the game on 125% brightness just to see things.
2. The buttons on the KDF side are incredibly bright compared to their surroundings.
3. In the character creator, the character itself is incredibly dark for some reason, even with settings raised. Even at 125% brightness, it's still somewhat difficult to pick out details.
4. Some things, like the Shield / Health bar, look very cartoonish, and I actually prefer the current UI's look for them. I'm not trying to be mean, but some of these screen elements look like they were drawn in Paint (the shield indicators, for example)
---- a. The bridge officer indicators in space actually looked better before, and more like LCARS in my opinion.
---- b. Some of the new icons are actually more confusing than before, and if I didn't already know what they were (or could see the tooltip when I hover over it), I wouldn't know what they did.
---- c. The arrow keys on the shield indicators are almost as big as the shield indicators themselves, and it's actually fairly difficult to tell where my shields are without staring at the indicator.
---- d. By the same token, the hull indicator is so dull-colored, I don't even notice when my hull starts going down until it changes colors (just before I die, usually). The black on white indicator of enemies isn't much better, but the over-sized percentage number almost makes up for that.
5. I don't really mind that allies are green, but I hope no Romulans get confused (since for them, Green is bad).
6. I appreciate the thought behind the "viewscreen" interface, but it's way too big, cumbersome, and intrusive, as others have said. Perhaps make it smaller, so it doesn't take up 2/3 of the screen?
---- a. Even when I'm not talking to a person, and there's nobody "on-screen", there's something there. It looks, well... horrible.
---- b. I'm not really sure why my bridge officers (that are supposedly on the bridge with me) are on the viewscreen when they talk to me. Wouldn't it be simpler to just turn my head and look at them, or are we really that lazy in the 25th century?
Now, that being said, I do like several things about the new UI.
1. I like the color-coded scheme of the UI, and that it's not all one color (blue, red, ect).
2. The previews of ships / bridge officers look nice.
3. The red alert color change is nice, and doesn't distract too much.
4. Whoever decided to add "Shirt Simple" to uniforms... thank you! I know it's not really part of the UI, but I'm still happy about it
5. the new destruction effect for Romulan ships... very nice. I know that's not UI either, but still looks good
It is showing my shuttle, not my Vesta. It says my Vesta is current ship.
I don't know of the inability to rotate character in Race screen would have bothered me, but since Hav mentioned it, I keep trying to and can't.
I like the presets staying when I hit advanced, that way I can pick something that is close to what I want, and go from there.
Mouth accessories (beards, etc.) aren't working.
New popups on ground look good. It would be neat that if I moved it to a location on my screen, it would save that location and always pop up there, or at least if that was an option I could turn on.
Up in the air on the viewscreen in space when talking to someone. If it changed to fit whatever ship I was on, that would be cool.
HUD changing when Red Alert is SWEEEEEET!
I could go an find things that might need improved, and I will do that, but my overall first impression is that I love the new UI.
Quickly jumped on to see. I like the new direction of the UI.
The power level section, for me, is a bit murky in identifying my actual power levels. That said, I do like the color coded part.
I love the 3d model in the character screen. Really like the creation screen. I like the LCARS-ish style, though the color palette is a bit "off" to me. The darker blue matched with the yellow-ish is alright, but seems a odd.
The only thing that I really dislike is the change in Friend/Foe indication color. I love blue, I would like my friends (from actual friends, to NPCs) to stay as it currently is. I like having blue as allies, white as team, and red as enemies.
Appreciate the "quality of life" things you'll are working on and hope that good feedback leads to good changes.