Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
# 521
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clannmac View Post
I agree with this: I missed a chunk of what was going on. I figured out what had happened, but especially with this new content, I am eager to follow every step.
The subtitle timing is temporary and will be adjusted once voice overs are added to the sequence.
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,742
# 522
04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
With today's TRIBBLE patch we just added 3 new color schemes. Federation Classic, Klingon Classic and Romulan classic. These all use a scheme similar to the UI on Holodeck, which is to say that the backgrounds of the button is darker and the text or icon of the button is brighter.

Additionally, these schemes do not have a Red Alert mode for those users who find it distracting. Eventually I would like to have the Red Alert mode option independent of what color scheme you use, but that's contingent on programmers having the time to make that possible.

Please test these schemes out and let us know what you think. Options > Basic > Color Schemes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I saw the Romulan BOFF ground tray power bug mentioned earlier, that's a known issue and we're looking into it.
When I saw the notes indicating "classic", I was thinking we would get the Pre-LoR UI, not another color option of Dark Blue or Red or Dark Green. It's not solving any problem people are having.

As commented many times, people are having trouble seeing the shield indicators and the text. Part of that problem is that there are just too much colors drowning out the important UI elements, like Health and Shields.

Look at a screenshot from the LCARS during Star Trek Nemesis. Basic colors with important elements highlighted. You see that even with Normal LCARs.


Don't understand why you guys aren't trying to make the Federation UI truely LCARish and fix some of the unneeded redundancy.

Again, HERE is a picture of my Federation UI that I'm currently working on. As you can see it looks more LCARish than what you guys got, and it merged elements like the Weapon Window with the Shield / Health Window.

And it's kept simple colors so it doesn't drown out the important elements that needs attention like your health and shields.


Surely you can something to improve the UI than just restyling it and giving "pretty colors".
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 275
# 523
04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
With today's TRIBBLE patch we just added 3 new color schemes. Federation Classic, Klingon Classic and Romulan classic. These all use a scheme similar to the UI on Holodeck, which is to say that the backgrounds of the button is darker and the text or icon of the button is brighter.

Additionally, these schemes do not have a Red Alert mode for those users who find it distracting. Eventually I would like to have the Red Alert mode option independent of what color scheme you use, but that's contingent on programmers having the time to make that possible.

Please test these schemes out and let us know what you think. Options > Basic > Color Schemes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I saw the Romulan BOFF ground tray power bug mentioned earlier, that's a known issue and we're looking into it.
Cool. I will check them out after I get home from work. Thanks!

Regarding the red alert, no doubt. On a similar note, the fly-in message we get sometimes, goes to the far left of my 30" monitor (I have two but only play on one) which is a little vexing. Can we possibly get the option to place it like the notifications window? If it is like the red alert - which I think it is, then could the coders place it for center top or bottom display?

Join the preeminent Romulan community now!

Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
# 524
04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
When I saw the notes indicating "classic", I was thinking we would get the Pre-LoR UI, not another color option of Dark Blue or Red or Dark Green. It's not solving any problem people are having.
The "Classic" color schemes were created to help users who had difficult using the color schemes with bright buttons when certain windows are open.

Quote:
As commented many times, people are having trouble seeing the shield indicators and the text. Part of that problem is that there are just too much colors drowning out the important UI elements, like Health and Shields.
I've seen that feedback and as I posted here I have just implemented a change to address this problem. Expect to see it on Tribble very soon.
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,742
# 525
04-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
The "Classic" color schemes were created to help users who had difficult using the color schemes with bright buttons when certain windows are open.
But yet they don't have Red Alerts.


And again what of people who are having trouble finding their Health and Shield Bars because of all the colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
I've seen that feedback and as I posted here I have just implemented a change to address this problem. Expect to see it on Tribble very soon.
So why not make a layout similar to the old UI and make it an option?


But guess this is the reason why there isn't a Klingon or Romulan Themed UIs like in canon.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
# 526
04-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
But yet they don't have Red Alerts.
The fact that they don't have Red Alert mode is in order to offer an option to play without the UI going into Red Alert mode. This is also another feature some users have requested.

In the future I hope to divorce Red Alert mode from a specific color scheme, but that is up to the programmer's schedule, not mine. So what I'm able to do right now is offer a select group of color schemes for users who both don't like the bright buttons and/or don't like the Red Alert mode.

Quote:
And again what of people who are having trouble finding their Health and Shield Bars because of all the colors?

So why not make a layout similar to the old UI and make it an option?
The default color schemes use a pretty limited range of colors (the default Fed palette ueses 3 colors not counting the health HP bar or the power level bars, which are designed to stand out). There are schemes with more diverse color selections, like the TNG scheme, which is purely optional. To address your concern, however, the classic color scheme is even more limited, primarily sticking to a value/saturation range of one color.

Quote:
But guess this is the reason why there isn't a Klingon or Romulan Themed UIs like in canon.
First of all, it's important to make the distinction between a UI skin, a UI color scheme and a UI layout.

We do have different skins for the three factions. You'll notice that window accents and button edges have different treatments when you are playing as a fed character, klingon character or Romulan character.

Then there are the color schemes, which are also different by default for each faction. If you have gone to the options menu and chosen a color scheme yourself, that choice currently overrides any default color scheme changes, meaning that even when you create a new Romulan or Klingon character it will use whichever color scheme you have chosen. I am hoping that eventually programmers will be able to allow you to specify a color scheme on a per character basis, but that is contingent on them having the time to do so.

Finally, there is the UI layout, which I'd define as the arrangement of elements on the screen. Even if it were easier to offer different layouts for different factions, I would not want to do this. It should be a seamless transition for someone who is switching from a Romulan character to a Federation character or from a Klingon character to a Romulan character etc etc. It's not desirable for players to re-learn the UI whenever they make a character in a different faction.
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 527
04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
This may have been asked and answered already but will we be able to have different color schemes for all our characters? I have to manually change it every time I switch toons.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
# 528
04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirk13 View Post
This may have been asked and answered a;ready but will we be able to have different color schemes for all our characters? I have to manually change it every time I switch toons.
I've asked the programmers about it and it's on the list to do when they've got the time to do it. Right now they're focused on squashing bugs though.
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,742
# 529
04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
The fact that they don't have Red Alert mode is in order to offer an option to play without the UI going into Red Alert mode. This is also another feature some users have requested.

In the future I hope to divorce Red Alert mode from a specific color scheme, but that is up to the programmer's schedule, not mine. So what I'm able to do right now is offer a select group of color schemes for users who both don't like the bright buttons and/or don't like the Red Alert mode.
Okay, but there should be notes telling players this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
The default color schemes use a pretty limited range of colors (the default Fed palette ueses 3 colors not counting the health HP bar or the power level bars, which are designed to stand out). There are schemes with more diverse color selections, like the TNG scheme, which is purely optional. To address your concern, however, the classic color scheme is even more limited, primarily sticking to a value/saturation range of one color.
I'm sorry but they don't stand out compared to the old UI and this is what people are commenting on. Because it all blends in with the surrounding UI elements, both on Space and Ground. And frankly it causes unnecessary eye strain in trying to find it.

I mean it's bad enough already with these small text, still painful trying to read the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
First of all, it's important to make the distinction between a UI skin, a UI color scheme and a UI layout.

We do have different skins for the three factions. You'll notice that window accents and button edges have different treatments when you are playing as a fed character, klingon character or Romulan character.

Then there are the color schemes, which are also different by default for each faction. If you have gone to the options menu and chosen a color scheme yourself, that choice currently overrides any default color scheme changes, meaning that even when you create a new Romulan or Klingon character it will use whichever color scheme you have chosen. I am hoping that eventually programmers will be able to allow you to specify a color scheme on a per character basis, but that is contingent on them having the time to do so.
I'm sorry but i don't see any difference in "window accents", outside the Romulan Icon it's the same UI as my Fed. But it's nice that you are going to talk to the programmers to save UI color settings depending on character, because people are not liking it staying on the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
Finally, there is the UI layout, which I'd define as the arrangement of elements on the screen. Even if it were easier to offer different layouts for different factions, I would not want to do this. It should be a seamless transition for someone who is switching from a Romulan character to a Federation character or from a Klingon character to a Romulan character etc etc. It's not desirable for players to re-learn the UI whenever they make a character in a different faction.
I'm sorry but that's just a straw man argument.

I bet if you made a true Themed Klingon and Romulan UIs, people would quickly understand them, providing you use similar elements and layouts. Like Chat window on the left, toolbar on the right, minimap on the top right and personal on the left.

I'll try to make a demonstration model for you later tonight.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
# 530
04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Okay, but there should be notes telling players this.
This was indicated in the original patch note, and when you choose the color scheme in the list it indicates clearly that they do not have a red alert mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I'm sorry but i don't see any difference in "window accents", outside the Romulan Icon it's the same UI as my Fed.
The new UI actually features more thematic differences in the skin than the old one did. Button shapes are distinct, windows have different shapes and large windows like the journal or DOFF window have unique corner shapes for each faction.

This screenshot has a side-by-side comparison that should make it easy to see the distinction.

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's just a straw man argument.

I bet if you made a true Themed Klingon and Romulan UIs, people would quickly understand them, providing you use similar elements and layouts. Like Chat window on the left, toolbar on the right, minimap on the top right and personal on the left.

I'll try to make a demonstration model for you later tonight.
We might be talking past one another, however I have seen old Star Trek games try this with mixed results. Starfleet Command and Birth of the Federation come to mind. Their faction UIs were very stylized and I always had trouble adjusting whenever I picked up a new race. As I said, it's a bit of a moot point because STO's UI is constructed in such a way that demands the same layout across skins. Even so, I don't see it as a limitation because that's how I would want to do it anyway.
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.