Career Officer
I have been making a "bang bang boom" mission for the last week.
The last groundmap gives you the objectives to rescue crew members from another Federation ship.
But as I was going I just relised that I have really no idea how I should proceed with that.

Only way I was thinking was to have NPC contacts you can talk to and then they vanish after the dialog is over..

My question is, is that the only way or is it a better way?
Cause the objectives table will be filled with NPC contacts, was hoping to make a "Save Crew 0/6" etc.

Thanks in advance.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
There's a trick I discovered recently where you can create an invisible NPC costume by attempting to import one of the NPC animals (Import a costume > Click on the Premade tab) into the the costume editor.

WARNING! This method takes advantage of a buggy unsupported feature. It will either crash the foundry immediately (in which case reload your project and try a different critter,) or it will work, but still cause the Foundry to crash when closing a project (not serious as it's after save, but still annoying.) In either case, save before trying this.

Once you have the invisible costume, rig the triggers to have the invisible NPC beam in as the injured crewman is vanishing. This will make it look like the crewman is beaming out. Then just have the invisible NPC disappear via a trigger further down the hall.

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
03-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I've got an alternative method.

Have something in dialogue that says the rescued crewmembers will have to go back to your original beam-in point to be transported over to your ship. I'd make it a transporter room, since we have one we can put down now. I'd have a NPC member of your crew beam in and say "Sir, I'll stay here and man the transporter console, when you find the crew, send them to me and I'll beam them back to the [ShipName]"

Each time you find a crewmember, have an invisible object by them that you can interact with that says "Rescue" or something like that. Use this invisible object for your objective. Now, on the NPC, set it to go from visible to invisible when you interact with that object.

Now here's the fun part. Spawn an npc group, one of the neutral single animals, when you interact with that object. Reskin it identical to the crewmember NPC. Set that NPC group to patrol, and make the patrol path go back to the transporter room. And set that NPC to disappear when the player walks over a reach marker later on.

So it will appear to the player as if the NPC got up and ran toward the transporter room and was beamed back to your ship.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Career Officer
# 4
03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Some advanced responses here
Thanks guys, going to try your suggestions out when I get home.
Problem with making people walk is that they usually falls under the floor during preview in Foundry, but that is another problem.

Thanks!
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
They should work OK when you publish, that's when the game engine puts together its pathing data.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
...Now here's the fun part. Spawn an npc group, one of the neutral single animals, when you interact with that object....
A word of warning, that the single animals seem to have a beam animation attached to them. It works intermittently in preview, but seems to be present in publish. Been a while since I tested though.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 7
03-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
A word of warning, that the single animals seem to have a beam animation attached to them. It works intermittently in preview, but seems to be present in publish. Been a while since I tested though.
Thanks for the headsup.

I just got a third alternative, the reason in the mission why they can't be beam out is beacuse they are surrounded by a forcefield. So in one way, I can use interaction with a console to destroy the forcefield and then let crew "vanish" with a Beam FX without even talking to them.

Foundry.. requires more creativitiy then you believe in the beginning .
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
03-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Wasn't there a mob type that doesn't have a beam in?

Starfleet Veteran
# 9
03-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Wasn't there a mob type that doesn't have a beam in?
I believe the Attack Saur Captain group lacks a beam in animation + it doesn't attack friendlies like the description says. The problem comes in that patrols get very wonky if the group isn't together.

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
03-29-2013, 09:03 AM
What about the single attack saur? If I recall, there is a group with just one saur in it.