Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 387
# 531
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
By your logic, a pie in the face is better than no pie at all.
Honestly I had a much longer explanation about how your analogy failed, and was really nothing more than a strawman, but then I decided to just take you up on it.

Yes, if I had to choose between never having any pie ever again, or having pie in my face before I ate it, I would probably choose face pie over no pie. Again, though, I'm a pragmatist. I maintain that what Romulan players are getting is not anywhere near as insulting and crude as a pie in the face (or the forum favorite meme "Slap in the face"), but that's because I tend only to get really upset about things that matter, like nuclear war and bad arguments on internet forums.

Again, if you feel insulted or slighted or betrayed, or whatever, that's fine. Just realize that probably the vast majority of paying customers don't share your sentiments.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 532
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I think it was in his Raptr Question and Answer session late last year.
Yup. Thanks a ton.
Quote:
Suavek: <wallotext snippage> I won't ask when it's going to come out, as I understand how much work such undertaking requires, but I'll ask this - What is the current concept you're leaning toward when planning the playable Romulan faction? <more wallotext snippage>

Dstahl: The idea that I like best is one where Romulans can be a playable race that can ultimately side with either the FED or KDF, but not necessitate having numerous factions at end game. This allows existing Fleets and Factions to all benefit from having new playable races that are somewhat like their own faction, but not necessarily a third faction in the grand scheme of things. There are a lot of questions that plan would bring up, but this is the idea that resonates the most and would allow us the most flexibility to add new "factions" in the future while not shafting the KDF. In any case, Romulans would need their own starting story before they integrated into FED or KDF mission flows. Again, don't hold me to this design as it could easily change, but this is where the most possibilities exist for actually getting it into the game in a reasonable way.
I was certain there was talk about it in an audio interview, too, but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was Stahl or maybe Goatshark or Geko being interviewed. I'll keep poking around for that one to bolster my claim but the quoted instance is sufficient to prove it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 208
# 533
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
Because it is a faction. Choosing an ally is for your benefit, so that you gain access to their ships and their gear in addition to your exclusive faction based items.

Unlike your reference of Pandaran in WOW, Romulans have their own exclusive new ship class and combat mechanic, their own exclusive storyline and episodes, their own exclusive costumes, ther own exclusive ship costumes, and a leveling experience that is very similar to what the Feds had a launch prior to all the Feature Episode Series and not limited to just the 1-10 "starting area" like Pandaran are. Romulans have far more exlusive content than that, and the fact that we then give you all of the stuff from your chosen ally gives you twice as much which is the "best of two worlds" idea.

The only non-exclusive content that the Romulans play are the Feature Episode series (which are designed to be playable by any faction) and end game content which is also designed to be played by any faction. If you don't want to go play your allies missions after you've finished your exclusive storyline, then don't go play them. You can play without them. If you want the exclusive gear from Starbases, STFS, Reps, etc, then you'll have to play the missions that grant them just like everyone else. You aren't any different than the existing factions in that regard.
Question: Will Fleet versions of Romulan Disruptors be added to fleet starbases for thematic synergy with Romulans?

At what point will you force Romulans to pick a side? In theory could I play 1-50 and never pick a side and not join a fleet/ally with a faction?

Outside of PvP/War concerns why was the concession made to make Romulans pawns of other factions rather than a Neutral third party that could occasionally skirmish with the other two powers in faction agnostic PvP queues?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
# 534
03-29-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm very excited about the upcoming changes, although I am disappointed with the increase in level to Fleet Admiral. It's not that having a level increase is bad, it's that having millions of Fleet Admiral's flying around and going on away missions just seems really stupid. I think rank and level should be separate and everyone either starts as a low ranking officer until level 10 and get's their new ship and stays as a Captain or just starts as a Captain.

Just makes no sense having all these admirals.... but that's just my take on it anyway. Least I don't have to worry about making a 3rd fleet for my fleet lol


"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 535
03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Yup. Thanks a ton.


I was certain there was talk about it in an audio interview, too, but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was Stahl or maybe Goatshark or Geko being interviewed. I'll keep poking around for that one to bolster my claim but the quoted instance is sufficient to prove it.
You're welcome.

Funny I was just about to post that info myself but you beat me to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 579
# 536
03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Yup. Thanks a ton.


I was certain there was talk about it in an audio interview, too, but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was Stahl or maybe Goatshark or Geko being interviewed. I'll keep poking around for that one to bolster my claim but the quoted instance is sufficient to prove it.
All I'll say is that it was a bad idea then, and a bad idea now, and never having read that I wasn't aware that this stupid idea was even mentioned before now.

As I'm sure that would've gotten a lot of negative reactions then too from those who did read it, it just goes to show that Stahl gives not one **** for our feedback.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 537
03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nierion View Post
I'm very excited about the upcoming changes, although I am disappointed with the increase in level to Fleet Admiral. It's not that having a level increase is bad, it's that having millions of Fleet Admiral's flying around and going on away missions just seems really stupid. I think rank and level should be separate and everyone either starts as a low ranking officer until level 10 and get's their new ship and stays as a Captain or just starts as a Captain.

Just makes no sense having all these admirals.... but that's just my take on it anyway. Least I don't have to worry about making a 3rd fleet for my fleet lol
Worse than that, all our gear we have spent a fortune on in STF's etc will now be obsolete and we will have to do it all over again. It wouldn't be so bad if the expense wasn't so far out of the roof that it's now orbiting Jupiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 387
# 538
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
How so we've upgraded from "I accept mediocrity" to "It could be worse!"
My that's positively ambitious for you.
Lol. Well argued. You've got your hipster's sense of entitlement and unearned sense of superiority going strong tonight. The only way it could be better is if you were wearing a sweater vest while listening to some band I've never heard of.

Now, do you have any actual disagreement with the fact that as a business decision, Cryptic made a pretty good compromise? Because if so, I think it got lost in all your snark and sarcasm.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,799
# 539
03-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
Hope Cryptic enjoy the dip in profits. Oh yeah and before you say "Hur dur u r one person lol." there are a lot like me. A lot.
I am one of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 355
# 540
03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtshead View Post
Lol. Well argued. You've got your hipster's sense of entitlement and unearned sense of superiority going strong tonight. The only way it could be better is if you were wearing a sweater vest while listening to some band I've never heard of.

Now, do you have any actual disagreement with the fact that as a business decision, Cryptic made a pretty good compromise? Because if so, I think it got lost in all your snark and sarcasm.
I did, but you ignored my post. Main thing was that you've created a completely false dichotomy. The choice never was between "something" and "nothing".
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.