Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 861
03-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
You know what?

Maybe the devs should just go ahead and let the playerbase play Romulans as a stand-alone, unsupported faction within the STO Universe, if they want it so badly.

No Starbases, no ports of call outside DS9 and Drozana, no Doff or Boffs aside from the handful of independent ones available to all factions, no ships except the few designed so far for the Romulans, no being a member of any but a Romulan player Fleet (and the mandatory loss of any fleets the player might have been a part of), no entry into Federation or Klingon space systems.

I guess that would make all the Romulan players happy.
I think if they'd delivered that - with the intent of finishing it off later - then Romulan players wouldn't have been so upset.

(Not) being able to form fleets (not starbases) is a big deal - as is not being able to do cross-faction teaming. Doffing - well, they could have just omitted the Diplomacy/Marauding missions until a suitable replacement was implemented.

But a truly separate faction would have required multiple PvP queues and/or 3-way PvP/PvE and that's something Cryptic just isn't willing to mess with.

It all smacks of Cryptic having their cake and eating it - they get to market a new faction, get to introduce new cross-faction Romulan ships and most importantly, quickly level the end-game playing field so that any future updates can be 'one size fits all'.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
# 862
03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
I love this whole choose your side. I have way to much time invested in the Starbase. Now I can make my new Romulan Character and have them join the Fleet. Awesome. Without it being like this I would not make another character. It would have just taken way too long to get to the very nice Fleet stuff that I have now. Of coarse, I'll be more apt to spend money this way too. Well, I guess they have to pay the bills somehow Anyway, everthing about this is so appealing.

Thank You Very Much
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 405
# 863
03-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I think if they'd delivered that - with the intent of finishing it off later - then Romulan players wouldn't have been so upset.

(Not) being able to form fleets (not starbases) is a big deal - as is not being able to do cross-faction teaming. Doffing - well, they could have just omitted the Diplomacy/Marauding missions until a suitable replacement was implemented.

But a truly separate faction would have required multiple PvP queues and/or 3-way PvP/PvE and that's something Cryptic just isn't willing to mess with.

It all smacks of Cryptic having their cake and eating it - they get to market a new faction, get to introduce new cross-faction Romulan ships and most importantly, quickly level the end-game playing field so that any future updates can be 'one size fits all'.
Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.

And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.

I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 708
# 864
03-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.

And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.

I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.
3 way pvp and territory control etc would be good for pvp and good for the game and that's rom vs fed vs kdf. not fed+rom vs kdf+rom
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 188
# 865
03-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.

And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.

I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.
They can say that they can work on getting fleets and starbases in for the future for Romulans, the big problem with that is that once players playing Romulans go off into two other factions and get into existing fleets with established starbases and level their Romulans up, not many will want to leave their fleets and start over down the road. You cant split up a player base then try pull them back together again. Now would of been the time to get Romulans started on their own fleets and starbases while people are rolling Romulans in a new independent faction. Reality is this is what they chose not to do and it will most likely stay that way.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
# 866
03-31-2013, 03:28 PM
That would have made me happy, I'd have even been willing to swallow the decision to temporarily pick a side in the conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
You know what?

Maybe the devs should just go ahead and let the playerbase play Romulans as a stand-alone, unsupported faction within the STO Universe, if they want it so badly.

No Starbases, no ports of call outside DS9 and Drozana, no Doff or Boffs aside from the handful of independent ones available to all factions, no ships except the few designed so far for the Romulans, no being a member of any but a Romulan player Fleet (and the mandatory loss of any fleets the player might have been a part of), no entry into Federation or Klingon space systems.

I guess that would make all the Romulan players happy.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 867
03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.
I'm not going to concoct an off-the-cuff reason for their participation in the KDF/Fed war but with the Tal'shiar collaborating/being manipulated by the Iconians, I'm sure you could come up with all kinds of scenarios for Romulan skirmishes with the Klingons and the Feds - any one of which would likely be more credible than Fed-allied Romulan Republic ships going up against KDF-allied ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.
You'll just have to forgive (or not) my skepticism on that given the treatment of the KDF since launch. I hope for those players that have wanted a standalone Romulan faction since this game launched that it materializes for them at some point - I'm certainly not advocating putting off the introduction of Romulans for another 2 years though - but by rushing it (and that's what they're doing) they're making decisions that may permanently bind the Romulans to a host faction (Stahl has stated that this is going to remain a two-faction game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.
Well since you don't get to join the Feds/KDF until level 10 I'm assuming Romulan Boffs at the least will be in place (I hope so anyway).
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 868
03-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieras View Post
That would have made me happy, I'd have even been willing to swallow the decision to temporarily pick a side in the conflict.
I think that is where they are going with this that the alliance with the Fed
or KDF is only temporary until CRYPTIC can things fixed for more then
two faction I hope I'm right about this but we can only wait and see.

Join date July 08
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 708
# 869
03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
there is a minority of lazy players that they are catering too. with the whole 'thank you so much I didn't want the hassle of levelling another starbase' and actually playing the game etc . some of it maybe a grind but most of it is fleet action and stfs. the fact you have to play to progress something related to your faction when you reach the end of the game is pretty important. since all fleet gear is only for max level as far as I know. building your own factions starbase makes it part of your identity as a faction now. it's end game for the current 2 factions so it should end game for the so called '3rd faction' the romulans.
they shouldn't be piggy backing to the top of another factions work nor help build another factions starbase and most certainly shouldn't be flying another factions ships.

since people and the devs have this poor attitude towards playing the game. they shouldn't make feds have to level a kdf starbase for their alts. or visa versa

if it was a fair system romulans would be on there own as a faction, have to form their own fleets and build their own starbase from scratch. if we don't we wont be marching beneath the raptors wings!

Last edited by wazzagiow; 03-31-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 355
# 870
03-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiemm View Post
I think that is where they are going with this that the alliance with the Fed
or KDF is only temporary until CRYPTIC can things fixed for more then
two faction I hope I'm right about this but we can only wait and see.
Mr. Stahl already said in this very thread that Cryptic is "putting down stakes" that this is a two faction game.

It's not going to happen.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.