Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 105
# 881
03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Otherwise you might as well release the Romulan Star Empire and New Romulan Republic as to seperate endgame options.....RSE for the KDF alliance and NRR for the fed Alliance and at least that way it'll make sense why Romulans are fighting Romulans in these alliances.[/quote]

^^ This I could live with. But I can tell you that if the Romulan enthusiast were given a choice Between the RR and the RSE, the long time Romulan fan would likely choose RSE with the right Warbird and uniform. If there was a staging area for both of these two, say Rator for the RSE, they would go there and virtually ignore the KDF and only join PvP to bloody the noses of the Feds and RR. I wouldn't even decloak if a Klingon ship were surrounded and on the verge of being blasted out of space.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 801
# 882
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark
Otherwise you might as well release the Romulan Star Empire and New Romulan Republic as to seperate endgame options.....RSE for the KDF alliance and NRR for the fed Alliance and at least that way it'll make sense why Romulans are fighting Romulans in these alliances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radaikofromulus
^^ This I could live with. But I can tell you that if the Romulan enthusiast were given a choice Between the RR and the RSE, the long time Romulan fan would likely choose RSE with the right Warbird and uniform. If there was a staging area for both of these two, say Rator for the RSE, they would go there and virtually ignore the KDF and only join PvP to bloody the noses of the Feds and RR. I wouldn't even decloak if a Klingon ship were surrounded and on the verge of being blasted out of space.
What you just said is exactly the point I was trying to make. THAT is exactly true to Romulan philosophy and exactly what they are destroying. The Romulans do exactly what they want to do, when they want to do it, how they want to do it. If there's something beneficial in it for them then you know you can count on them, but you never know exactly how much you can count on them. That's part of the appeal of the Romulans.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
It's a shame the new faction won't offer something akin to the "dark ages of cam" style 3-way pvp conflicts. Something for the future perhaps? (I assume someone has already suggested running a kickstarter to fund this kind of major enhancement/overhaul?)

Still, looking forward to its release as new content is new content, which beats the alternative of no new content.

Also, some of the UI changes and customisation options look quite nice =)
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 708
# 884
03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by githnaurpwe View Post
It's a shame the new faction won't offer something akin to the "dark ages of cam" style 3-way pvp conflicts. Something for the future perhaps? (I assume someone has already suggested running a kickstarter to fund this kind of major enhancement/overhaul?)

Still, looking forward to its release as new content is new content, which beats the alternative of no new content.

Also, some of the UI changes and customisation options look quite nice =)
Not seen a kick starter mentioned in this thread but they have been talked about a few times. Based on the direction this game is looking like its heading with this update. a romulan faction in sto kick starter looks like its needed as well. Since they will only listen to money and not fans.

It's pretty sad tho. February's ask cryptics responses generated 8 pages. March's ask cryptics responses has generated 88 pages(so far) of mostly people expressing how unhappy and disappointed they are with the direction they intend to take the romulans. I hope the devs actually respond to the criticism accordingly and address it, alter their intended direction and make them the faction they deserve to be.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 855
# 885
03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes, it would be nice if they take this onboard.

But what are the practicalities of doing so?

They'd essentially have to rebuild major facets of this so-called Faction.

Add a whole new Doffing system instead of Diplomacy/Marauding.
And some of the other mission types would have to be altered to be Romulan specific as well.
Also, they'd have to create Romulan specific DOFFs too.

They'd also have to model Romulan Starbases and embassies.

While I have no doubt this could be done, it would be a delay while they implemented these changes.
Which means the release date will be pushed back.


Personally, I don't care if they push it back, since I was not going to play it anyway!

It's not that I'm opposed to actually playing the faction, it's just they failed to deliver the playable race I wanted and until they give it back, I'm not playing the faction.

I could live with any number of flaws and lack of content if only I got to play the captain I've been waiting for since the Romulan faction was announced long ago.

But since Cryptic didn't deliver the playable race I want, I see no real reason to actually play it.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 255
# 886
03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
I forgot if I had my say on this so I'll just say it anyway: I originally was like, yeah this sucks, why bother? And it's true, why bother? People wanted a romulan faction. If that wasn't a realistic goal then cryptic should have just forgot about it and worked on expanding sector space and even the KDF which seems to be just as impractical as romulans are so I'm not sure why cryptic has bothered. There's alot they could have been doing other than making a futile attempt at implementing a half baked romulan faction.

But then I suddenly just stopped caring. The danger of that boredom of the game aside, it just hit me that there is no real RSE anymore. So it makes sense story wise with how cryptic is going about it. We don't know much about the romulan people, really. We know their government and military are *******s. That's about it. I can buy that romulans are sort of freelancers now willing to ally up with those that have aided them on new romulus. Not so much buying that they have access to romulan war ships galore for all those inc romulan captains but hey it's a game after all I can look the other way with my logic.

But then, if Earth was destroyed by a supernova, I doubt Starfleet would suddenly be non existent.


Anyway, I think STO has proven one fact about people and Star Trek: Most of us are happy with playing as starfleet. But then perhaps the only reason the KDF is so badly off course is because no one wants to play an unfinished faction with little dev support. It's like a viscous cycle. We don't want to play the KDF because it's not fully supported. Cryptic doesn't want to work on the KDF because we don't want to play the KDF. You know what would have gotten me to play my KDF practically full time? A BoP that wasn't a joke with 2 turrets and 3 tac consoles, and that's the supposed 2409 retrofit. Because it's an "old" ship, apparently. I guess klingons don't have the ability to build new classic BoPs and outfit them with the latest technology. They were already "old" by TNG(since they were around in kirk's time) but that didn't stop them from whooping ass when they needed to. That's because the BoP design is eternal. You don't try to reinvent the wheel. The klingons and apparently the romulans learned this since there's romulan warbirds every which way in STO. The KDF NPCs are BoP fans still. See this is where the "old BoP" logic flops.

I truly want to play my klingon more, but I just feel gimp trying to do elite STFs in a brel BoP. I have a strong feeling the grand majority of other players turned away from the KDF faction when they too realized that they couldn't be that dangerous klingon in a BoP. I'd wager the farm it is pretty much the only reason. And when the romulans come and tons of people are playing romulans because they get to fly in classic romulan ships like the warbird design, assuming they too won't suck, my point will be proven.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 708
# 887
04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
I forgot if I had my say on this so I'll just say it anyway: I originally was like, yeah this sucks, why bother? And it's true, why bother? People wanted a romulan faction. If that wasn't a realistic goal then cryptic should have just forgot about it and worked on expanding sector space and even the KDF which seems to be just as impractical as romulans are so I'm not sure why cryptic has bothered. There's alot they could have been doing other than making a futile attempt at implementing a half baked romulan faction.

But then I suddenly just stopped caring. The danger of that boredom of the game aside, it just hit me that there is no real RSE anymore. So it makes sense story wise with how cryptic is going about it. We don't know much about the romulan people, really. We know their government and military are *******s. That's about it. I can buy that romulans are sort of freelancers now willing to ally up with those that have aided them on new romulus. Not so much buying that they have access to romulan war ships galore for all those inc romulan captains but hey it's a game after all I can look the other way with my logic.

But then, if Earth was destroyed by a supernova, I doubt Starfleet would suddenly be non existent.


Anyway, I think STO has proven one fact about people and Star Trek: Most of us are happy with playing as starfleet. But then perhaps the only reason the KDF is so badly off course is because no one wants to play an unfinished faction with little dev support. It's like a viscous cycle. We don't want to play the KDF because it's not fully supported. Cryptic doesn't want to work on the KDF because we don't want to play the KDF. You know what would have gotten me to play my KDF practically full time? A BoP that wasn't a joke with 2 turrets and 3 tac consoles, and that's the supposed 2409 retrofit. Because it's an "old" ship, apparently. I guess klingons don't have the ability to build new classic BoPs and outfit them with the latest technology. They were already "old" by TNG(since they were around in kirk's time) but that didn't stop them from whooping ass when they needed to. That's because the BoP design is eternal. You don't try to reinvent the wheel. The klingons and apparently the romulans learned this since there's romulan warbirds every which way in STO. The KDF NPCs are BoP fans still. See this is where the "old BoP" logic flops.

I truly want to play my klingon more, but I just feel gimp trying to do elite STFs in a brel BoP. I have a strong feeling the grand majority of other players turned away from the KDF faction when they too realized that they couldn't be that dangerous klingon in a BoP. I'd wager the farm it is pretty much the only reason. And when the romulans come and tons of people are playing romulans because they get to fly in classic romulan ships like the warbird design, assuming they too won't suck, my point will be proven.
I have to agree with you, I play kdf a fair bit. I've always thought that bops should have been a lot more like raptors are, however they are closer to being compared to a shuttle.
bops in stf is pointless. so 5 fleet modules for pretty much a b'rel looking shuttle at t5 is a total joke.
I have 2 kdf toons and they are of extrems you could say 1 is in a vo'quv and the other in a b'rel. the vo'quv bop pets last just as long as a player controlled b'rel..... something is clearly wrong there. kdf need their bops beffing up!!

also if beffing the b'rel up meant removing the fire while cloaked ability then that's fine. it's rubbish anyway.

Last edited by wazzagiow; 04-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 888
04-01-2013, 02:08 AM
A lot of us have refused to spend money on this game, I stopped when I ready an Ask Cryptic mid last year with Dan refusing to do anything on the KDF "Beating the dead Targ" I believe was his words.

Perhaps Romulan fans unhappy with this could go down a similar path. After all PWE/Cryptic seems to only listen to money and their bias figure/statics. If income slows down they might start to listen to their customers, but then again they might just do another sale, another public bias news article to get new players.

But there is nothing wrong with a peaceful protest
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,176
# 889
04-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanine View Post
Cryptic doesn't want ppl to have to rebuild new starbases when it is so costly and such a huge investment.
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...7804243627.jpg

and

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/11320...rst-i-was-like

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 784
# 890
04-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
For goodness sakes, please remember that this forums has guidelines. Please tone down the rhetoric or this thread will get locked. Going out of bounds is going to lead to infractions.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread that are way out of whack for how it is actually implemented. Many posts are stating opinions about something that no one in the public has played yet.

Give the hard working team some credit for everything they've been working on by reserving your opinions until you actually play it. [snap]
Please understand the following:

-its just not very nice to mislead us and yes you have.. Makeing us wait during the 3 week counter, then posting basically nothing but some pictures and a small video saying absolutly nothing explicit except for one thing: there will be a romulan faction. You must habe known deep down your heart that thats just wrong because as much as you try to defend it a full faction has a lot of thing the new rommi "faction" does not so calling it a faction was misleading. Again im sure you knew that so it was intentional so you can only blame yourself if ppl are angry now.
-second for me and a lot of other ppl ST is very important. There may be some reasons why we have 1000 admirals running around instead of captains as it should be or that the galaxy and cruisers fight with broadsides which is so not canon.. So while there may be some reasons concering the game to do so, you csnt expect trekkies to accept stuff like that easily. And a beaten down romulan people who starts fighting each other in the fed/kdf wsr is just silly. Also why call it romulan faction if its just the tree loving hippie romulan somethings of D'Tan and far from everything anyone watching the shows would call a romulan.
-you say we have to stay calm and patiently wait for new information without speculating? Sry what? If you dont want us to speculate then MAYBE it would have been a better idea to tell us all important facts right from the start. If you treat you players like little children ofc they will behave as such. Its your own information policy that got us this 90+ pages thread. Maybe its time to stop treating us like 5 year olds stop talking about santa clause and just get to the point. It costs you nothing. If you're not sure westher or not a specific feature will make it just say so.
-you say we have to give credit for the hard working team BEFORE you told us about everything thats coming? Lol? Thats like saying we have to say thx to the cook after just some small pictures of what the food MAY look like and after they showed you a picture from the biggest steak you've ever seen and they getting an info like "you get only the upper left corner of the steak, sry". Dont you think that constantly paying for this game buying lock box keys and ships and stuff kind of entitles us to regular updates and bug fixing and new features from time to time?

So please stop and rethink your own policy and behavior.

Last edited by johnsteward; 04-01-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM.