Starfleet Veteran
# 891
04-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
there is a minority of lazy players that they are catering too. with the whole 'thank you so much I didn't want the hassle of levelling another starbase' and actually playing the game etc .
That's always annoyed me, how much people moan about the grind. This is an MMO, for it to be a success your average player has to play a LOT more than they do for a single player gane, and frankly the novelty of flying the Defiant can only counteract the boredom of having nothing to do for so long, without something to grind I'd stop playing pretty quickly. As it is now, I still take 2-3 week breaks now and then just to get over my burnout.
Commander
# 892
04-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
/Great post
I think Dan lets his poor PR skills take control too much. Someone at PW should really have a chat to him methinks.

Oh I know some people "CDFers" will love that Dan is "saying how he feels" and is basically telling the naysers/haters to shut up, however this is why most "professional" leaders don't say how they feel, as they do come across as looking petty and stupid.

Anyone who think their team should get praise and thanks for producing some pics and a trailer and then lets the cat out of the bag that they didn't supply the whole info, and will only then be supplying info piecemeal, but doesn't want you to speculate, well...
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Survivor of Romulus
# 893
04-01-2013, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmal3 View Post
That's always annoyed me, how much people moan about the grind. This is an MMO, for it to be a success your average player has to play a LOT more than they do for a single player gane, and frankly the novelty of flying the Defiant can only counteract the boredom of having nothing to do for so long, without something to grind I'd stop playing pretty quickly. As it is now, I still take 2-3 week breaks now and then just to get over my burnout.
thers an easy way to stop this while keeping the grind as u call it removed dilthium from starbases a move that no one will mind starting a new base
Captain
# 894
04-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
Also why call it romulan faction if its just the tree loving hippie romulan somethings of D'Tan and far from everything anyone watching the shows would call a romulan.
I think this encapsulates perfectly why so many are unhappy with the way Romulans are presumably going to be portrayed in STO. I'm sure the playable Romulan story line will be pretty good, and many missions will be rock solid, but they leave out one key thing: the ability to play as member of the Romulan Star Empire.

Yes, the Romulans have been beaten down a bit, and they've become heavily factionalized, but that shouldn't stop us from being able to play whichever faction we want! Each faction no doubt has compelling storylines waiting to be told. Even if the Tal Shiar are the bad guys and unplayable, surely the RSE is just as viable as the Republic?

The technology to choose sides is obviously in game, given that we can choose KDF or Fed. Why not allows us to choose RSE or Republic, instead?

Not to mention the whole "Republic" thing sounds an awful lot like "Fed-lite", especially considering how much D'Tan was influenced by Spock. Unless the storyline of the Republic is outrageously good, my Romulan captain will be a member of the RSE, because that's what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmal3 View Post
There has to be a better way of disguising the grind, though. And adding more variety so it's not the same thing over and over again, or a hassle / job to log in and "get your dailies".
Starfleet Veteran
# 895
04-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
There has to be a better way of disguising the grind, though. And adding more variety so it's not the same thing over and over again, or a hassle / job to log in and "get your dailies".
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that STO's grind model is perfect, or even particularly good, I'm just saying that asking it to be removed entirely isn't really viable. Which, in turn, makes Cryptics claim that they don't want us to have to grind another starbase all over again completely ridiculous.
Ensign
# 896 Thanks cryptic
04-01-2013, 08:31 AM
First of all thanks Cryptic for your hard work to produce this upcoming update. It's good to see more story content coming. After all that's why I love star trek - the story.

Secondly. What is with this I want everything and I want it now attitude? This game is constantly being added to and takes time to create new material. I'm sure they try to cater for as many people as they can. After all I seem to remember them asking whether we wanted Romulans as soon as possible even if done as a mini faction. I personally said no. I felt that other things had to be done and dealt with first.
I am excited to see what this new release will bring though.

It needs to be remembered first of all that the update hasn't been released yet and we havnt been given the full details. I'm hoping this is because there are a lot of details to tell us so they will update us in stages.
Secondly there is story to think of. The Romulan Star Empire doesn't exist as it once did. Romulans used to be a people who were heavily militarised and controlled by deceit and fear from the tal'shiar. But let's not just stick to racial profiling. There were seeds of Romulans thinking differently that was shown on screen. A changing Romulan government isn't too much to deal with.
And of course there is the third point that Star Trek is still owned by CBS. They have a final say in what PWE/Cryptic can do when it comes to the Star Trek content. Perhaps they have said that RSE cannot be played as within the game. But this is speculation in standing with a lot of what others are saying on this forum.

I have no problems with a Romulan Republic and having no starbases. They are splintered at the moment trying to start again and they will want to use whatever help they can get. As to the circumstances of having to chose a side, we don't know what they are yet. There is nothing to say that if this game is still going in 2-3 years (hopefully) that the story won't update to allow for the Romulans to be more self sufficient and perhaps even re create the RSE.

I look forward to more updates and info on the coming release.

Thanks dstahl
Ensign
# 897
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
I am very disappointed.

1.) Only Romans are playable in the beginning

-Remans only through grinding reputation on new Romulus--> I would rather pay zen to unlock the remans instead of grinding rep

-Alien-generated only for gold--> for kdf/fed alien-generated was free--- why suddenly only for gold---not even for zen without gold possible ?

2.) Roman Empire must be free and independent

We would rather accept a 50 % fraction then going into slavery f?r klings or feds

3.) Why not make Klingon Empire equal to Fed

They say its not profitable--- i say make kickstarter for klingon empire and you would get millions bucks by honourful warriors around the world

This game could be unique --- don't let it be mainstream.

Sorry for my English...it isn't my mother language
Starfleet Veteran
# 898
04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakimpar View Post
I am very disappointed.

1.) Only Romans are playable in the beginning

-Remans only through grinding reputation on new Romulus--> I would rather pay zen to unlock the remans instead of grinding rep
To be fair, I'm pretty sure you can actually buy them for zen if you don't want to grind for them. Dan said they were available either from rep or 'for purchase', he didn't explicitly say zen, but what else would it be?
Commander
# 899
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2931 View Post
First of all thanks Cryptic for your hard work to produce this upcoming update.
Quote:
It needs to be remembered first of all that the update hasn't been released yet and we havnt been given the full details
Why are you thanking them for something that you even say has been released and haven't had full details? How do you know it was hard work?

Quote:
Secondly. What is with this I want everything and I want it now attitude?
Eh? Your talking rubbish mate.

Quote:
After all I seem to remember them asking whether we wanted Romulans as soon as possible even if done as a mini faction
?????????

Quote:
Star Trek is still owned by CBS. They have a final say in what PWE/Cryptic can do when it comes to the Star Trek content. Perhaps they have said that RSE cannot be played as within the game. But this is speculation in standing with a lot of what others are saying on this forum
Nice one. Your post will get you +5 to your shield of Cryptic defense.

Thanks for the laugh though.
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Community Moderator
# 900
04-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I have a question I haven't seen asked or answered so far... my apologies if I missed it.

If as a Romulan, we choose an alliance with either Starfleet or KDF, will we have the ability to change our alliance later?

(If, for example, we decide that we made a mistake and should have allied with the other faction. Deleting a character and starting over is not much fun...)
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek