Career Officer
# 901
04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
No - because your chosen faction allows you access to the ships (including C-Store ships) of that faction.

So you could buy a Kumari then defect KDF-side with it. Or a B'rel and vice-versa.

Plus you'll have Fed/KDF Boffs/Doffs etc. How do you untangle all that?

From the 'Ask Cryptic' (my emphasis):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl
During one of the episodes in the Romulan Republic storyline, the Federation and Klingon Defense Force will challenge Romulan captains to choose sides in the Federation-Klingon War. This permanent and personal choice forges a very important alliance.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 04-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Ensign
# 902 Solomace
04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
For the benefit of you - it is polite to be thankful to people. It may not be out yet but it is coming out and without them at all you wouldn't have a game full stop. I can see your complete disregard for manners by how you responded to my post.

I have posted my opinion which is just as valid as yours and I have done so without laying into anyone else. I would suggest that if you are going to respond to people like that you take a pause and re consider posting altogether.

Also I am not a Cryptic appologist. I have had my own issues that I have brought up with them but that doesn't excuse being rude whether it be towards Cryptic or myself.

Last edited by pete2931; 04-01-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 903
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I for one am not surprised as to how they are rolling out the Romulan faction. I always thought that if they were added they might be more like Death Knights in WoW. Death Knights are a faction in WoW, they have their own unique mounts, citadel and origin story. However, Death Knights are also asked to seek aid in fighting from either the Alliance or Horde.

I am thrilled that this is how they've chosen to implement the Romulan faction. My fed fleet is JUST now getting near T5 on fleet building. I would HATE to have to start from scratch all over.

Romulans picking sides makes perfect sense if you consider the fact that the Romulan story is meant to be a prequel to the events in New Romulus. In New Romulus, Romulans ARE clearly working with the Feds and KDF.
Community Moderator
# 904
04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
No - because your chosen faction allows you access to the ships (including C-Store ships) of that faction.

So you could buy a Kumari then defect KDF-side with it. Or a B'rel and vice-versa.

Plus you'll have Fed/KDF Boffs/Doffs etc. How do you untangle all that?

From the 'Ask Cryptic' (my emphasis):
Good points. Thanks for pointing those out.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 905
04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilv View Post
I for one am not surprised as to how they are rolling out the Romulan faction. I always thought that if they were added they might be more like Death Knights in WoW. Death Knights are a faction in WoW, they have their own unique mounts, citadel and origin story. However, Death Knights are also asked to seek aid in fighting from either the Alliance or Horde.

I am thrilled that this is how they've chosen to implement the Romulan faction. My fed fleet is JUST now getting near T5 on fleet building. I would HATE to have to start from scratch all over.

Romulans picking sides makes perfect sense if you consider the fact that the Romulan story is meant to be a prequel to the events in New Romulus. In New Romulus, Romulans ARE clearly working with the Feds and KDF.
Death Knights are not a faction , its a class choice, the factions in WoW are Horde or Alliance which a Death Knight choses to side with, just like the Romulans will have to chose between the KDF or Federation factions.
Rihannsu
# 906
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlion619 View Post
Death Knights are not a faction , its a class choice, the factions in WoW are Horde or Alliance which a Death Knight choses to side with, just like the Romulans will have to chose between the KDF or Federation factions.
Until Pandas that is.

Also you kinda both wrong, Death Knights are unique as they start at lv 55 and there is only ONE may be created per Realm, apples and oranges ... in STO this would be being the Borg (if male: Drag) Queen, with a lot of them running around.
Career Officer
# 907
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
For goodness sakes, please remember that this forums has guidelines. Please tone down the rhetoric or this thread will get locked. Going out of bounds is going to lead to infractions.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread that are way out of whack for how it is actually implemented. Many posts are stating opinions about something that no one in the public has played yet.

Give the hard working team some credit for everything they've been working on by reserving your opinions until you actually play it. It will be free to play and free to download the expansion. If you want to judge something you haven't played just based on a description, then sorry, you're missing some of the best content we've ever made.

If you don't like it, don't play a Romulan. It isn't required that you play a Romulan. Yes we've been talking about how we would implement other factions in the game for a while, and as I said then, plans can change. Even since that Reddit chat, we actually did the work to make Romulans their own faction.

Many people are hearing "choose an ally" and thinking that you become FED or KDF and that is not true. You remain a Romulan. You don't lose your identity. You don't lose your faction's goal. Your ally is there to help you - to give you tech - to give you ships and help you stand up against the Tal Shiar. Even in game right now, New Romulans are looking to both Klingons and the Federation to help, and this is just an extension of that. So it is not about you dropping what your goals are and reporting into Admiral Quinn now. You report to the Romulan Republic.

This also allows for cross faction teaming. Something that encourages group gameplay and can be fun. Want to go play some Romulan missions, but don't want to be a Romulan? Go team up with one and help them with their missions. Want to help fight the silent enemy? Queue up together and go fight together. We've made a commitment that when we make fun new events, they are for everyone to play. Yes the "Star Trek Rules" bend sometimes when we have Feds and KDF grouping up to fight the Borg, but it can also be a lot of fun and leads to a more lively MMO.

Anyone who wants a 3rd queue faction hasn't played a Klingon. As I said before, that isn't good for the game. We allow cross faction teaming because it allows more people to play together.

Play Legacy of Romulus and either enjoy it or not. The proof will be whether or not the game continues to grow and if people enjoy it as much as we think they will. Fortunately, our continued future success is not based on what people think of something they haven't even played yet.

We look forward to showing you everything we've been working on very soon. This is why we're working the extra time to get things setup and ready on TRIBBLE. We're almost there.

Live Long and Prosper.
Well for goodness sake...

You sure know how to kill a lively debate in a thread here Mr. D.

When has it ever been a prerequisite to have 'actual facts' about something that hasn't hit the game yet..., to be able to 'tear it to shreds' around here???

Boy, you better get BranFlakes to keep you up-to-date on how many of the STOs forum-ites, believe they are supposed to behave...

BTW: The newest edition of that particular handbook, is being published as we speak...
You know.., constantly moving 'goalposts' and all that...

As for me...,
I'm more of the common garden-variety "wait-to-actually-see-what-comes' kinda guy.

I guess I'm pretty old-fashion that way, but I find I spend a lot less time wringing my hands and building up multiple layers of angst..., by being patient.

Funny that...
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 04-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 908
04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Until Pandas that is.

Also you kinda both wrong, Death Knights are unique as they start at lv 55 and there is only ONE per Realm, apples and oranges ... in STO this would be being the Borg (if male: Drag) Queen.
Death Knights have their own content, Panda Race has their own content. Blizzard does not call them factions. There are only two factions in WoW.
Commander
# 909
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2931 View Post
For thenefit of you - it is polite to be thankful to people. It may not be out yet but it is coming out and without them at all you wouldn't have a game full stop. I can see your complete disregard for manners by how you responded to my post.

I have posted my opinion which is just as valid as yours and I have done so without laying into anyone else. I would suggest that if you are going to respond to people like that you take a pause and re consider posting altogether.

Also I am not a Cryptic appologist. I have had my own issues that I have brought up with them but that doesn't excuse being rude whether it be towards Cryptic or myself.
For the benefit of me? Why thank you for teaching me this... Who knew.

Just what are you actually thankful for? They haven't produced anything yet, only pic, a trailer and now some info that hasn't gone down too well. Being thankful when it comes out is one thing, but you sound like a lot of "fans" on here who tbh seem to be thankful for anything Cryptic does in the name of Star Trek and except mediocrity (just like this sub Rom faction that Cryptic are creating).

They don't want you to be thankful, they want you to pay... Thanks doesn't pay the bills.

So you weren't "laying into anyone"? So who were you talking about when you said "What is this I want everything and I want it now attitude"?

Don't come out with the "my opinion is just as valid as" and "it doesn't excuse being rude", when you are accusing people of things like the above.

Tell me where in this thread people have said they want everything and they want it now?

/Sigh, another one.
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Ensign
# 910
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
It all sounds pretty good to me. I'm definitely looking forward to making a Romulan. I'm also pretty happy that Romulans DON'T get their own fleets and starbases because this helps keep the playerbase less fractured and makes it less of a chore as that's one less fleet I'll have to help advance. Also this may help get more players on KDF side which is a good thing IMO.