Captain
# 1 How many character slots
03-23-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm a little unclear about how many character slots I have available.

Once, some time ago, when the game was subscription based, I had 9 characters (plus one more for the Foundry). Now that the game is free to play and I don't pay a subscription, I still have the same 9 characters.

Now, with the Romulan faction coming up, I'd been considering whether or not I'd need to delete a character to free up a slot. However, I've heard tell of people deleting a character, only to find they didn't end up with a free slot.

That is, say I'm actually supposed to have only 6 slots. That means I'm actually 3 characters over my limit, and still have access to them because they were sort of grandfathered in. Now, if I delete one, I would still be over my limit, so I wouldn't get a slot freed up after all, and would have deleted the character for nothing.

The question I have is, how many slots am I supposed to have? I picked the number 6 out of the air, I'm wondering what the actual number is, and what would happen if I delete a character?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Lieutenant
# 2
03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
As a subscriber you got one additional character slot. When you stopped subscribing you "lost" that character slot, cryptic didn't delete the character because there would be hell to pay. However, once you delete a character voluntarily you will lose that character slot. I don't know how long you subscribed, but if you subscribed for 300 and 700 days you get additional free character slots, those you keep forever.
Captain
# 3
03-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Ok. so it's how many base slots? 5? I think that's what I'm remembering...

Plus:

1 for subscribing (but not anymore)
2 for vet status
2 that I purchased on the store (if I recall correctly)

Of course, that would be 10 slots, so would the base now be 4 slots? so, 4+1+2+2=9
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Republic Veteran
# 4
03-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
Ok. so it's how many base slots? 5? I think that's what I'm remembering...

Plus:

1 for subscribing (but not anymore)
2 for vet status
2 that I purchased on the store (if I recall correctly)

Of course, that would be 10 slots, so would the base now be 4 slots? so, 4+1+2+2=9
base i believe is 2. one for KDF one for Fed. +1 for subbing. +2 for your vet status and +2 that you bought. though if your pre F2P, i believe its 3 base.so i think you got 8 slots.

im not sure though. i somehow got 12 without ever buying any.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2013, 06:41 AM
The number of base (silver) character slots right now is actually 2. 1 federation and 1 klingon character slot (both restricted) after the faction has been unlocked. I take it you actually purchased 4 character slots, not 2 in the C-store - so as of now it should be 6 slots total with the "base" and "c-store" purchase. The other 3 should be the 2 veteran and 1 gold slot.
Captain
# 6
03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
It could be. I don't remember how many slots I bought, but I know I bought some... I just can't figure out how to check my purchase history.

In any case, it's sounding like deleting a character wouldn't free up a slot at all for a romulan character. I wonder if they'll add a romulan character slot...?

Captain
# 7
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
They will probably add 1 Rom exclusive slot. That way Silvers start the game with 1 Fed, 1 KDF, and 1 Rom character slot. They can then buy more or earn more via Subscribing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
It could be. I don't remember how many slots I bought, but I know I bought some... I just can't figure out how to check my purchase history.

In any case, it's sounding like deleting a character wouldn't free up a slot at all for a romulan character. I wonder if they'll add a romulan character slot...?
It's either that, or they'll further reduce the starting number of character slots (well, to one). I doubt it'd be a good marketing policy for the game to actually remove the one slot, that was free before and restricted anyway. I think it's safe to say that we'll get a free romulan only slot at launch. Convert some dil to zen to purchase an additional 2 slots, just in case.
Captain
# 9
03-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Hm. I still can't figure this out, I think I'm overthinking it...

According to STOWiki, back in the day I had:

2 open slots
1 slot unlocked at Lt6
4 slots purchased on the store
1 veteran slot (300 days)

That's 8 slots as a subscriber. Where did I get the 9th one?

Captain
# 10
03-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Hm. I still can't figure this out, I think I'm overthinking it...

According to STOWiki, back in the day I had:

2 open slots
1 slot unlocked at Lt6
4 slots purchased on the store
1 veteran slot (300 days)

That's 8 slots as a subscriber. Where did I get the 9th one?
Are you sure you only have 300 Day Vet status? You get another slot at 700 days.