Captain
# 1 Cutting Beam?
03-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Hey, folks -

My mains are tactical and engineer toons. Main-tac is usually in a Fleet Assault Cruiser, main-eng is in an Odyssey Science variant. I'm thinking about getting the Borg Cutting Beam.

Each has a traditional setup of 3 beam arrays, 1 torp fore and aft, with the wide-angle qtorp up front, and I rotate EPtW1 so I have high weapon power (not max, but I think it's pretty good). Energy type is phaser, and the aft torp is also a qtorp.

I have two question:

1) Should I go for the Borg cutting beam?
2) If so, what weapon should it replace?
3) If I have Mk XII phaser arrays/qtorps I have not yet equipped, does that change the answer any?

Thanks for any help!
Commander
# 2
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
If you have the Borg console, the cutting beam will give you a great two piece bonus and the beam itself isn't bad...When it actually hits something, If you also run torps it has a 3 part bonus for those as well. I say go for it, even if its only for the plasma two part bonus it give you. I'd have it replace a turret.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
It replaced one of my Beam Arrays in back

I had 6 phaser beam arrays and 2 qtorps like you. Now I have 5 arrays
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
If you have the Assimilated Universal Console then yes, yes, yes. The Borg Cutting beam is amazing for it's 360 arc and damage against hull.

However what it replaces is the real question. Replacing a beam array in your eng's Sciency Odyssey is sensible, but for your Tac there's a couple more caveats.

Do you plan on 'maxing' out Weapon power to 125/100? (Before Epower to Weapons 1)
How much do you like your rear torpedo launcher?
Would you also consider replacing a fore Beam array with a Dual Beam Bank?

Because I would replace your rear Torpedo launcher with it if you run high weapon power, this gives you more beams shooting on every facing against your primary target. However power management means you'll really have to run Epower to Weapons on broadsides.
This wouldn't be a problem if you had a Dual Beam Bank up front.