Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
...because it is probably the single most important thing that you'd expect from a Star Trek MMO. When I first bought this game that's what I thought I was going to get and I was ultra excited and rushed home to experience it, but it wasn't there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about the upcoming update but I was just thinking as I was doing my exploration dailies "Shouldn't this come before Romulans and even KDF content?"

I'm sure when the Devs or whoever first started having discussions about an expansion that this HAD to come up as an idea and I seriously want to know why this hasn't been improved on what so ever. Because it would be so big? Would it really be much bigger than what we're getting in May? It could also be improved in time.

I could be dead wrong but I think marketing a new Exploration expansion would slap the nay sayers across the face as well as other Trek fans (and maybe just gamers in general) and get them hooked, I'd even go so far to say that I think the revenue a new exploration system would bring would make the Rommie expansion look like pocket change - If done correctly that is.

I especially think it would have been more suitable to go along with the new UI and the whole theme of the expansion would have been "Now THIS is a Trek game!"

Am I exaggerating about what a new, WELL DONE exploration system could do? I seriously believe it is the single, most important thing that this game needs and I'm big on KDF and I'd even put off my beef with how the KDF were treated if this was implemented.

I'd like to not only hear opinions about this, but how do you guys think an awesome exploration system/mechanic could be done?
Commander
# 2
04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff484 View Post
I'd like to not only hear opinions about this, but...do you guys think an awesome exploration system/mechanic could be done?
As in something which simulates what would take place on the shows? No.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
As in something which simulates what would take place on the shows? No.
But as in something that makes a random planet/system with semi-random objectives and possible enemies?
Captain
# 4
04-03-2013, 03:30 AM
A big exploration expansion to make it more treklike is something I also consider as very important; but considering probably new gameplay mechanics with the upcoming content it makes sense that this would come after said upcoming expansion.

The exploration probably requires to take a lot of programming into consideration. So I assume if cryptic would release something exploration related right now it would need a lot of additional work & rewriting of already written stuff after LOR release.
Rihannsu
# 5
04-03-2013, 03:33 AM
they should do a Foundry Exploration or "First Contact" contest every once in a while and add the best 5 missions to the exploration rotation.

i for once am VERY HAPPY to finally create my planned Romulan/Reman/Suliban toons allied with the KDF, and one for FED just for the story.

exploration revamp will be a filthy mess to deal with for the devs, same as crafting.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Rihannsu
# 6
04-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
But as in something that makes a random planet/system with semi-random objectives and possible enemies?
this is called the Genesis system which is already online.

you have to kill 5 groups of enemies or tag some debris in space/ground. the ground ones are not fun, as the enemies often fall through the maps thus lost time and mission unfinishable.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Career Officer
# 7
04-03-2013, 03:41 AM
There have been a lot of great exploration ideas on this board over the years, but usually, when people ask for Exploration they find it hard to quantify what exactly they want and how they envision it not being finite repeatable content due to limited developer resources.

I'm just not compelled to partake in the existing exploration system. Not just because I've had my fill of the variations on offer, but because it ultimately leads to no progression. We now have a reputation infrastructure in place, which is right now expanding on Tribble to cover Events (CE). I could see this working for exploration too.

My point here is that there would be little point in them spending time on exploration if there are not enough support systems already in place to add longevity to it. Perhaps that is what they are doing. Biding a little more time until more infrastructure is in place.

I'm thinking we'll see some steps towards the EP's idea of a sector made up of themed foundry mission content, but likely not before the Foundry team is released from Neverwinter pre-launch development.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 8
04-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I agree that STO badly needs more work put into exploration; it's one of the main things that was supposed to set STO apart from other MMOs. Still, nynik is correct; it's hard to really say what needs to be done to make it seem like you are really exploring.

I recently tried to gather some thoughts on the subject (here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=564581), but it didn't gain a whole lot of traction; possibly because I made the mistake of sticking it in 'Feedback' instead of 'Discussion'.

Well... that or hardly anyone cares any more.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Commander
# 9
04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
They already do, the problem is that due to limitations they have to go in and correct the various errors the map would give if they imported the genesis creator maps straight into the game.
Captain
# 10
04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm glad I don't have to spend all my playing time pressing F on anomalies these days.

I've seen all the threads about exploration, and so far I haven't seen a single one with a system that made sense from a game design standpoint. People overestimate either the magical abilities of random generators or of how replayable their idea really is.