Captain
I dont understand why they would do this. Aliens have been available to FEDs and KDFs since launch. Why restrict them now to Subs and Lifers? Honestly, this wont make people subscribe.
Career Officer
# 2
03-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Perhaps part of a re-jigging of their F2P model? Honestly losing Aliens isn't that terribly large of a blow. Disappointing, certainly, but there desperately needs to be some kind of advantage to subbing and LTS, and moving one species (Generic Aliens) over to pay-only (for one faction out of three, to the best of our knowledge now) is not a bad way to go about it.

I am sliiiightly concerned that this could lead to more paywalls, but if you ask me, starting here was a pretty smart move - low-impact but tempting enough to drive some to pony up.
Commander
# 3
I was also critical of that announcement since I currently play an "Alien."

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Commander
# 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
I dont understand why they would do this. Aliens have been available to FEDs and KDFs since launch. Why restrict them now to Subs and Lifers? Honestly, this wont make people subscribe.
I think it has to do with the fact that you don't really see non-Romulans beyond the Remans. Since the Romulans are Xenophobes, they don't really have many non-Romulan subjects. They probably wish to remain as pure as possible.
Captain
# 5
03-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
the Romulans are Xenophobes
yeah we can let that one go, xenophobes dont invite alien militaries into their new capital and give away the top-drawer weaponry in exchange for picking up litter
Captain
# 6
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that you don't really see non-Romulans beyond the Remans. Since the Romulans are Xenophobes, they don't really have many non-Romulan subjects. They probably wish to remain as pure as possible.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering that this is the Romulan Republic we are talking about here, not the RSE. Additionally, we are being forced to join up with the KDF or Feds at level 10, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in context.

My theory is that the 'Alien-gen hybrids' are supposed to represent romulan-alien hybrids like Sela, T'Pol, and that 1/4 romulan kid from 'Drumhead'.

Still inexcusable regardless, consdiering how few options Romulans have already and Remans being a reputation unlock, plus the inevitable fact that Liberated Borg Romulans will be introduced as Lifetime-only. It is ridiculous either way.
Commander
# 7
03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Eh, most people just pick "Alien" to min-max their traits anyway. I wouldn't be sad if the option went away altogether.
Captain
# 8
03-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Perhaps part of a re-jigging of their F2P model? Honestly losing Aliens isn't that terribly large of a blow. Disappointing, certainly, but there desperately needs to be some kind of advantage to subbing and LTS, and moving one species (Generic Aliens) over to pay-only (for one faction out of three, to the best of our knowledge now) is not a bad way to go about it.

I am sliiiightly concerned that this could lead to more paywalls, but if you ask me, starting here was a pretty smart move - low-impact but tempting enough to drive some to pony up.
I use aliens because Cryptic wont man up and fix Science powers, so I have to use custom traits to compensate.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
The irony here is that I used an Alien to make my Fed captain half Reman. Other half is a species the Tal Shiar genocided. Needless to say she hates the Tal Shiar.

I am fine with the lack of aliens in the Rom empire. They are Xenophobic as hell. It would make no sense from a RP standpoint to have too many non-Romulans on their ships. Even if this is the Romulan Republic, it is still built off the scraps of the Romulan Empire.

I don't see it as a change of policy for f2p so much as a filter to keep a balance in the actual flavor of the species. I actually wish the Klingons had this, honestly. You never see non-Klingons on their ships. However you see plenty of non-Orions on Orion ships, so I see it as a result of allying with Orions.
Commander
# 10
03-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
They are Xenophobic as hell.
Everybody keeps saying this but I have no idea where it comes from. They may have a superiority complex, but that's not the same thing. In TOS I see one Romulan commander tell Kirk they could've been friends; I see another try to get in Spock's pants and using Klingon ships. In TNG I see a bunch of Romulans working with Spock towards Reunification. In DS9 they work with the other powers against the Dominion; in Voyager one takes a message from U.S.S. Voyager to their own government to be passed on to the Federation.

So what's the source? Or is it, as I suspect, just people parroting other people who said it?

p.s. Isolationism does not equal xenophobia. The U.S. has a history of isolationism because it just didn't want to get involved. Not the same thing.

Last edited by darkelfofficer; 03-29-2013 at 09:32 PM.