Lieutenant
# 11
03-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I play my missions for reward of actually seeing them. I don't require much more reward than that.
Captain
# 12
04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asheistheraven View Post
I play my missions for reward of actually seeing them. I don't require much more reward than that.
Some of my favorite pc games have been of the sandbox Sim variety like The Movies or Jurrasic Park: Operation Genesis. And I also like doing light modding, reskinning etc. So I get that perspective. But The foundry is a tool in open beta with some wonky glitches and a somewhat clunky time consuming interface. So having more of a reward for the time invested would be nice.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 13
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
No argument with the OP here - even if it's a mission we authored; as long as it qualifies, we (the author playing his own fully published mission) SHOULD get the same rewards as if we went and played someone else's mission. WE ARE spending time in game (and the way the STO Foundry currently operates - anytime they patch the Foundry directly, or do an auto-republish, it's practically a necessity for an author to run through his own missions to be sujre nothing broke.

Authors should get rewarded for such time spent the same as any non-author would for deciding to play Foundry mission.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 14
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
To all the folks coming here with the "No, I am a TRUE artist" lines. You may be, I don't care. I have lived my life in a more or less constant state of poverty and taken more than a few physical beatings in my day for the sake of being one--top that.

I have a hosted modification on Total War Center called "Rule Britannia" which I spent between four and ten hours a day on for a good six months and now has well over 100,000 downloads. Didn't ask for, nor expected, CA to pay me for it. This IS a different situation.

We are working a sloppy beta so Cryptic doesn't have to and I am simply asking that we be treated with the same respect, and get the same rewards, as any other player logged on to the game despite the fact that we are doing them a massive favor and not because of it.

Players get a certain in-game reward for playing Foundry missions and I think that is good. We, who make them, are obliged to play our own missions a great deal (to the point of personal annoyance in most cases) and this prevents us from otherwise taking part in the game or playing other people's missions as much as we like or are asked to by our fellows.

Now, should you have an argument for why it is better that we should not get the in-game rewards for our time (I can think of a few but they are pretty weak) then, by all means, state them and we will have a nice, civil debate on the topic. If you are just preening I ask that you restrain yourselves for the sake of improving the situation for us all and encouraging more people to make use of this outstanding, if still wanting, tool and thus increasing the amount of good content in a game that, by financial necessity, is a grindhouse.
Rihannsu
# 15
04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I think Cryptic did it as a sort of safety feature to keep people from farming their own missions. It's probably not really a good one, but you get the idea.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
# 16
04-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
To all the folks coming here with the "No, I am a TRUE artist" lines. You may be, I don't care. I have lived my life in a more or less constant state of poverty and taken more than a few physical beatings in my day for the sake of being one--top that.

I have a hosted modification on Total War Center called "Rule Britannia" which I spent between four and ten hours a day on for a good six months and now has well over 100,000 downloads. Didn't ask for, nor expected, CA to pay me for it. This IS a different situation.

We are working a sloppy beta so Cryptic doesn't have to and I am simply asking that we be treated with the same respect, and get the same rewards, as any other player logged on to the game despite the fact that we are doing them a massive favor and not because of it.

Players get a certain in-game reward for playing Foundry missions and I think that is good. We, who make them, are obliged to play our own missions a great deal (to the point of personal annoyance in most cases) and this prevents us from otherwise taking part in the game or playing other people's missions as much as we like or are asked to by our fellows.

Now, should you have an argument for why it is better that we should not get the in-game rewards for our time (I can think of a few but they are pretty weak) then, by all means, state them and we will have a nice, civil debate on the topic. If you are just preening I ask that you restrain yourselves for the sake of improving the situation for us all and encouraging more people to make use of this outstanding, if still wanting, tool and thus increasing the amount of good content in a game that, by financial necessity, is a grindhouse.
Amen to this, for all the starving artists .
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't see any particular "I'm a True Artist because..." arguments here. What I see are a couple people - myself included - who don't put much importance on being tangibly rewarded for our work in the Foundry.

But as I said previously, and speaking only for myself here, I do support allowing the engine to treat the author like it would any player. If the mission qualifies for the rewards or is a spotlight, the author ought to get those for running it the same as any player. I think it's only fair to do it that way. So I agree with the OP, but for the sake of fairness, rather than because I feel a need to be rewarded with grind currency for all time spent in game.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I think Cryptic did it as a sort of safety feature to keep people from farming their own missions. It's probably not really a good one, but you get the idea.
That's my impression as well. I haven't attempted to build anything particularly complex in the Foundry yet, but wouldn't it be possible to make a mission with a sort of hidden button that makes it significantly easier to finish? The author could create a full-length mission so it meets the requirements for dilithium rewards, then use his exclusive mission path to farm it, just being careful not to farm it too often so as to drop the average mission length.
Captain
# 19
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmaverick View Post
That's my impression as well. I haven't attempted to build anything particularly complex in the Foundry yet, but wouldn't it be possible to make a mission with a sort of hidden button that makes it significantly easier to finish? The author could create a full-length mission so it meets the requirements for dilithium rewards, then use his exclusive mission path to farm it, just being careful not to farm it too often so as to drop the average mission length.
This is such a freakishly bizarre scenario that guarding against it is downright paranoid and absurd; especially if you need to wrong all the people who actually add the content to your nearly content-free game. When you encounter a person or group that is obsessed with preventing anyone from getting over on them you can be rest-assured that you have found a person or group that will take any opportunity to get over on others.
Rihannsu
# 20
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
This is such a freakishly bizarre scenario that guarding against it is downright paranoid and absurd; especially if you need to wrong all the people who actually add the content to your nearly content-free game. When you encounter a person or group that is obsessed with preventing anyone from getting over on them you can be rest-assured that you have found a person or group that will take any opportunity to get over on others.
Have you seen the list of stuff in the "profanity" filter? Yeah, paranoid fits....
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!