Ensign
About a month ago, I went to log in and was shown I needed to download an 8GB patch. I figured it was because I hadn't been on in a while, so I let my computer run the patching process (for multiple hours) and then was able to play fine.

About a week ago, I noticed my hard drive was nearly out of space, so I went looking for files to delete and found a copy of STO in my C:\Users\Public folder. I figured this was from when I copied the files from my husband's computer due to a hard drive crash, and deleted it. Freed up 5GB on my hard drive.

The next time I tried to start STO, I got the 8GB patch notice again. I stopped it midway and saw that it had re-created the C:\Users\Public directory. I've tried renaming the Live folder in D:\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online (due to support doc about forcing a manual patch) and tried launching from the "Star Trek Online.exe" in that same directory, all with the same result: an 8GB patch that recreates the game at C:\Users\Public. I put in a ticket, but no response yet.

I don't have the room on my C: drive to keep the game there, and at this point I can't play the game on my computer. My husband's install is in his C:\Users\Public\Games directory, but his C: drive has lots of free space, so we haven't needed to move it.

I'm hoping someone out there has some insight that can help, because the only other thing I can think to try is a completely fresh install of the game.
Career Officer
# 2
03-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Ye unfortunately the only fix is a complete reinstall of the game as the directory associations are not updated when moving the game across unless its a mirrored system drive.

I had this issue when I was backing and restoring my game from one drive to another on the same system a while back.

If I run into this again in the future I will try find all the registry keys that need to be updated as at that time I did not look into that myself.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Ensign
# 3
03-30-2013, 04:28 AM
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the quick response, at least now I know how I can play the game this week.

I guess some developers just can't handle non-default installations.
Ensign
# 4
08-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Grrrr....

Same problem. All it needs is the ability to direct the Patcher to the correct drive/folder (most of my other games; even Steam allows that).

8GB on an 80GB HD is a big chunk (trying to shift it to my shiny new 1TB HD).
Ensign
# 5
09-08-2013, 02:31 AM
To move your installation directory you have to change some registry setting and game configuration files.
In my case I move the folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online_en\ to D:\Games\Star Trek Online\
Just check where the executable Star Trek Online.exe is (in this example the new location is D:\Games\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe)

1. Move the folder to the new location. (you probably have already done this, otherwise you would not be here)

Hit start, type regedit and press enter
2. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online
3. Change the key: InstallLocation to your new installation path (D:\Games\Star Trek Online\)

For Windows 64bit:
4a. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Perfect World Entertainment\Core\1003en\
I think for Windows 32bit:
4b. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perfect World Entertainment\Core\1003en\

5. There are 3 subkeys for the different languages, I would recommend you change all 3 to the correct new game path
Change CLIENT_PATH to the new location (D:\Games\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe)
Change INSTALL_PATH to the new location (D:\Games\Star Trek Online\)
Change LAUNCHER_PATH to the new location (D:\Games\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe)

6. Now open the folder in the new location: Star Trek Online\Live\.patch\ and open the file patch_trivia.txt with notepad.
Change the Trivia PatchExecutable to your new location (Make sure you use / instead of the \ and leave the " instact.)
(Trivia PatchExecutable "D:/Games/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online.exe")
Ensign
# 6
10-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Thank you for your help hellbringer74656.
I had the same problem and now it is fixed thanks to your mini-guide.