Commander
# 1 The Kinetic Cutting Beam
03-30-2013, 09:36 AM
So I recently got this weapon and I am a bit confused. What is the over all point to this weapon? I know that on a high weapon power setting it has better dps then almost any torpedo but what is the point of the weapon?
Captain
# 2
03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
It's a turret/torpedo hybrid that is useful for the 2-piece Omega weapons set, while also dealing more damage than a turret can even with 4 Tac consoles on the turret.
Captain
# 3
03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
The point of this weapon is to have a 360 degree weapon that deals kinetic damage. With torpedoes, you have to fire at appropriate time that the shields go down and when their destroyed shield is in the firing arc of the torpedo. With the cutting beam, it is just fire and forget like the other beam weapons.
Captain
# 4
03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Most kinetic weapons have a limited firing arc and travel time. Any ship that exposes a naked hull to another ship with a cutting beam is going to immediately start bleeding painful hull damage. Plus, it has an even more painful synergy with the assimilated tractor beam.
Career Officer
# 5
03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I can understand the confusion too OP.

It's nowhere near as powerful as the borgs cutter beam on tactical cubes that instakills you in instances, in fact it barely does anything compared to that.

the tiny buff it gets from the two piece setup doesn't do it justice and it's not affected by beam overload.

It seems like it's just there to make an extra noise while fighting.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Lieutenant
# 6
03-30-2013, 12:41 PM
I wrote something but decided it's no good... I don't know how to delete post.

Last edited by rushatsi; 03-30-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: not able to delete
Captain
# 7
03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
The kinetic beam is awesome if you know what it can do.

To get the most out of it, you use it with omega tech set (omega amplifier bonus) and borg set. The borg tractor beams + kinetic beam combo does incredible damage to the hull, in fact they had to nerf it altogether in a previous patch (unshielded ships blowing up left and right in PvP).

From stowiki.org:

Assimilated Tractor Beam
Toggle (10 max)
Targets Foe
5 kilometer Range
0.83 sec activate
3 min recharge
to target: 63 Kinetic Damage x25 (8.3 DPS)
Causes 765 Kinetic Damage and crew damage when used on a target that has been recently hit by a [Kinetic Cutting Beam] within the last 4 seconds.
Reduces Turn Rate and Flight Speed for 10 sec
to target: -1 All Power Settings
Disables Cloak
to self: After 3 sec, +1 All Power Settings
Affected by Starship Graviton Generators, Starship Particle Generators and Starship Flow Capacitors
Note: Stats on effects are provided for base Graviton Generators 0, Particle Generators 94 and Flow Capacitors 0 and no bonuses other than those from the Borg set itself.
Reality is WAR
KHG Klingon Honor Guard

Last edited by deokkent; 03-30-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: specified kinetic damage on unshielded targets
Republic Veteran
# 8
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I have this set on my mobius destroyer..... which ironically has the temporal set, and both borg sets on it. and i really like the setup, especially on targets i hit the tractor beam with, hit 'em with the Borg Tractor while nailing them with a few HY Omega torps and the KCB and things melt like butter.... then use my temporal sets cooldown reducer to help get the Tractor beam up again quicker so i can do it all over again.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 9
03-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deokkent View Post
The kinetic beam is awesome if you know what it can do.

To get the most out of it, you use it with omega tech set (omega amplifier bonus) and borg set. The borg tractor beams + kinetic beam combo does incredible damage to the hull, in fact they had to nerf it altogether in a previous patch (unshielded ships blowing up left and right in PvP).

From stowiki.org:

Assimilated Tractor Beam
Toggle (10 max)
Targets Foe
5 kilometer Range
0.83 sec activate
3 min recharge
to target: 63 Kinetic Damage x25 (8.3 DPS)
Causes 765 Kinetic Damage and crew damage when used on a target that has been recently hit by a [Kinetic Cutting Beam] within the last 4 seconds.
Reduces Turn Rate and Flight Speed for 10 sec
to target: -1 All Power Settings
Disables Cloak
to self: After 3 sec, +1 All Power Settings
Affected by Starship Graviton Generators, Starship Particle Generators and Starship Flow Capacitors
Note: Stats on effects are provided for base Graviton Generators 0, Particle Generators 94 and Flow Capacitors 0 and no bonuses other than those from the Borg set itself.
Apparently they nerfed it too far. I use the tractor beam from the borg set all too often while this weapon is firing while having EPTW activated and the proc going and it's still not that effective. Maybe they broke something in PVE?
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Career Officer
# 10
03-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
So I recently got this weapon and I am a bit confused. What is the over all point to this weapon? I know that on a high weapon power setting it has better dps then almost any torpedo but what is the point of the weapon?

It's a 360 degree weapon.

Mind you it's also Anti-Proton, so AP builds double the damage. Then factor in the Borg Tractor Beam, this turns into a serious weapon.