Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 109
# 31
04-01-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm using the Vesta Surveillance Explorer with a cutting beam. I run with 123 weapon power (soon to be 125) and 66 aux power.

To me when using the Vesta the choice is stark in what system you will be using as your primary source of dps.

I've opt'ed for weapon power as primary and aux as secondary damage dealer. If I want to use max aux, that means I have to run with aux DHCs, and quite frankly I think the Vesta is far too sluggish for my play-style to use them properly.

However with the above arrangement I still get aux dps and good crowd control abilities, while still able to give some weapons pain. This works for me for now, but watching a tac captain in a tac ship (skill spec'd for tac) simply melt groups of enemies away, does make me think that Sci ships are very gimped in comparison.

On a side note, my feeling is that this game was initially built around PvP team play, but most people are doing PvE. So the concept of a tank (cruisers) and support (sci-ships) doesn't fit how most people are playing the game. Essentially everyone wants at least good tank, reasonable support, and excellent dps in one ship. Despite cryptic's best efforts dps rules the game, and as such eventually there there will have to be more dps parity between the classes.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 32
04-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
Every ship can equip it, there for every ship should be able to use it, otherwise it simply is not fair.
Every ship can use it. Not every ship in every conceivable build can use it well, the same as any other piece of gear.

/thread
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 33
04-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
The Vesta is by design a ship ment to have full power to Auxiliary, its a special thing about the Vesta, name any person(s) who use the Vesta all the time with full power to Weapons. The Kinetic Cutting Beam is another matter entirely, its a weapon that can be used on any ship, its not some exclusive weapon, it is by no means "Special" in anywhere near the same sense as the Vesta's Aux DHCs.

The Vesta's exclusive rights to the Aux DHCs is no excuse to single the ship out of a weapon (The Kinetic Cutting beam that is) that EVERYONE can get and use effectively (except the Vesta). Also the Aux DHCs are there because incase it didnt dawn on you, all of the Vesta's special abilities are Aux power based, without full power to Aux, all of its four specials would have negligible effects.
See that thing I bolded, underlined, and turned red? Along with being so special that it's mounts aux powered cannons, it's special in that it suffers with EVERY weapon that uses weapons power while those aux cannons are beng used. That includes turrets.

Really, you seem to think this is burger king, and you should be able to have your uber ship. Well you can't. Not until my assault cruiser has the turn rate of a defiant, the ability to use commander level sci skills, and can mount DHC's. If my desire sounds ridiculous to you, imagine how ridiculous your desire sounds to me and a whole heck of a lot of other here.

The reason your cutting beam sucks has been explained. We owe you no more than that to help educate you in how to play most effectively. You don't have to like it, and it doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be changed. It's a gimmick weapon that has a niche use. If you aren't willing to use it properly, don't use it at all.

I have flown a Vesta by the way, and I do it pretty well, and I don't need another gimmick to do so.
_____________________________________________

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 455
# 34
04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussweatherlight View Post
Really, you seem to think this is burger king, and you should be able to have your uber ship. Well you can't. Not until my assault cruiser has the turn rate of a defiant, the ability to use commander level sci skills, and can mount DHC's. If my desire sounds ridiculous to you, imagine how ridiculous your desire sounds to me and a whole heck of a lot of other here.

I have flown a Vesta by the way, and I do it pretty well, and I don't need another gimmick to do so.

When did I say anything about the player base owing me anything? When did I say that Cryptic owed me anything? Do not assume to know what I am thinking, also do not dare to educate me, your not my teacher and I did not ask you to teach me, I am here to voice my opinion which I have the freaken right to express. Btw, do not speak for other people, you claim to know that many other people see my desire as ridiculous but you honestly do not know, so let other people speak for themselves, let those many people speak their own minds, they dont need you. As I have stated I have the freedom to express my opinion for something, and the way your coming off buddy your just being insulting to me for it by saying my opinion is ridiculous, which is wrong of you. So either talk with more civility or keep your insults to yourself, because there is such a thing as taking a personal opinion to far.

The thing to remember is that thankfully its Cryptic's attention I have to get, they are the ones I have to convince, not you. That is why I continue to post here.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 62
# 35
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
The Aux DHCs cannot be equiped on any other ship because no other ship has Auxiliary Phaser Cannons, this ship in the lore behind it is the only ship that does because its an integrated weapon system built for it. the KCB however is as I have said, something that can be used by any ship but one and that right there is what is wrong. You can equip it to the Vesta but the Vesta wont be making consistant good use of it, not like any other ship in the game. Regardless of what people think the KCB is a general use weapon, if it wasnt ment to be equiped/used on the Vesta, then why is the Vesta one of the ships that can equip it? If its not ment to use it, then it ought to be something the Vesta cant even equip. Fact is, since it can equip it but not make good use of it, then that is in a way a big giant "HAHAHA NOPE" to Vesta pilots.

Every ship can equip it, there for every ship should be able to use it, otherwise it simply is not fair.

Edit: Let me put it this way, I used to hear teachers in school say "Dont eat gum in class unless you have enough to share with everyone" I am going to extend that to say "Dont eat gum in class unless you have enough to share with everyone INCLUDING the guy who can do something you cannot do." in this instance the Vesta is a ship that has the Aux DHCs something no other ship has but other ships still have stuff it doesnt, there for it should not be denied the "Piece of gum" in this case. Because thats all the KCB is really, and by your logic no ship should be able to use it because every ship has something special and unique that sets it apart from another ship.
The way I look at it is, it's the same kind of trade-off you have when it comes to Universal consoles. You can have the special ability the universal consoles grant, but it means NOT having that extra shield strength/hull strength/weapons damage that a regular console would provide. With the Vesta, you can use the Aux cannons, but it means any weapon you apply that uses Weapons power is going to suffer. Also, consider that having Aux set high to get the most out of the Aux cannons means your Science abilities are going to be that much stronger.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 455
# 36
04-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marikaoniki1 View Post
The way I look at it is, it's the same kind of trade-off you have when it comes to Universal consoles. You can have the special ability the universal consoles grant, but it means NOT having that extra shield strength/hull strength/weapons damage that a regular console would provide. With the Vesta, you can use the Aux cannons, but it means any weapon you apply that uses Weapons power is going to suffer. Also, consider that having Aux set high to get the most out of the Aux cannons means your Science abilities are going to be that much stronger.
I suppose your right but then again, how many Science Bridge Officer abilities actually do any meaningful damage? Unless your referring to the player type Science Officer, but still.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 37
04-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
I suppose your right but then again, how many Science Bridge Officer abilities actually do any meaningful damage? Unless your referring to the player type Science Officer, but still.
If you're selecting science powers specifically to pew pew, you're doing it very wrong.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 239
# 38
04-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
If you're selecting science powers specifically to pew pew, you're doing it very wrong.
Someone should tell that to the NPCs that use Tractor Beam Repulsors.

Anyway, those new warp cores should help with this. "Adds 7.5% of your Auxiliary power to your Weapon power as bonus power." After it works properly you won't have much trouble getting 125+ Auxiliar power and 80+ Weapon power.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 39
04-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
Someone should tell that to the NPCs that use Tractor Beam Repulsors.
NPCs playing by a different set of rules is nothing new.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,429
# 40
04-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeaja View Post
your not my teacher
Your is possessive. You gave your teacher your apple.
You're means "you are". You're not my teacher.

I couldn't resist.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.