Empire Veteran
# 91
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Seems I will not see it till it hits Holodeck. Tribble keeps saying Shard locked and kicking me out.
and Redshirt is the same as it has always been.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 92
04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Seems I will not see it till it hits Holodeck. Tribble keeps saying Shard locked and kicking me out.
Well as I have said before - I believe the KDF gets nothing till it's on Holodeck.

So who knows for sure what the final results will be. I will not hold out much hope of any significant updates/changes between now and the May launch.

The test servers were up earlier and yesterday after a huge patch - adding warp cores and traits and tons of stuff. But there were significant bugs like players beaming down as their ships - some nice pics of ships running around.

Probably be back up later today.
Lt. Commander
# 93
04-19-2013, 09:58 PM
So as we learn more - are Klingon/Gorn/orion - etc etc - going to become an endangered races in the KDF?

I know people have put so much time into their KDF toons they won't just give them up - but looks like Romulans may be taking over Qo,nos in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 94
04-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1romulan View Post
So as we learn more - are Klingon/Gorn/orion - etc etc - going to become an endangered races in the KDF?

I know people have put so much time into their KDF toons they won't just give them up - but looks like Romulans may be taking over Qo,nos in the end.
Not likely, bub.

Remember- It's official now that Romulan Republic characters will NOT get access to their allies' tier 5 and beyond ships. And boy does the KDF have some good stuff at tier 5.
Lieutenant
# 95
04-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
If Romulans are allowed to Join the KDF and have access to Romulan ships and KDF ships and gear - what possible reason would any new player roll a Klingon toon?

I mean you can roll a Rommie and come into a KDF fleet and have access to all KDF ships and equipment and you get all the Romulan shinnies to?

All the old KDF players are stuck with just the KDF gear as I see it now.

So unless I am wrong - other than Klingon fandom - what possible reason is there to start/keep a Klingon toon when you can - or a new player can get access to all your stuff+their new stuff?

So those fleets that built up bases - you get to build ships and gear for the Romulans - that you wont have access to as a Klingon!!

I hope I am wrong - but if this is true - the Klingon race is going to almost disappear in STO.
To be honest, just judging from the descriptions given in the Dev Blogs, why would ANYONE (Fed or Klink) roll anything BUT a Romulan as their next alternate class? The whole "Singularity Abilities" gimmick just seems too good.

They get some type of "power-up" charge provided by the whole gimmicky singularity thing that they can then use on one of a handful of special abilities? Can we say "broken"? Especially if there is no form of "balancing" to off-set this? Weaker hull and shields? I hope those that got into Beta can shed some light on this whole "singularity abilities" thing..
Captain
# 96
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurriknak View Post
To be honest, just judging from the descriptions given in the Dev Blogs, why would ANYONE (Fed or Klink) roll anything BUT a Romulan as their next alternate class? The whole "Singularity Abilities" gimmick just seems too good.

They get some type of "power-up" charge provided by the whole gimmicky singularity thing that they can then use on one of a handful of special abilities? Can we say "broken"? Especially if there is no form of "balancing" to off-set this? Weaker hull and shields? I hope those that got into Beta can shed some light on this whole "singularity abilities" thing..
The ships have a 40 powerbase instead of a 50 powerbase..

Will it completely offset the singularity stuff? Probably not... especially considering they get battle-cloaks across the board while still retaining similar shields/hull to Klingon vessles.

But it is what it is. It doesn't really bother me at this point since they have such limited options. They'll very likely be very strong PvP ships and average in PvE. Of course, we haven't seen the fleet ships yet... so who knows. The Mogai and T'varo could get pretty out of hand if either of them gets a 5th tac console.

Last edited by xantris; 04-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Rihannsu
# 97
04-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Quote:
there is a weakness; romulan ships get 160 power to split among their systems instead of the 200 fed/kdf ships get

yeah, not much of one, but the stuff is also in a beta state, and therefore subject to change
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Empire Veteran
# 98
04-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:

I got invited to beta.

So far the abilities are interesting, the two I've tried.

Plasma shockwave: Pretty much as it sounds. It doesn't disable or knockback (or if it does, it doesn't do much), but it does do some damage and put a guaranteed plasma burn on everything it hits.

Quantum Absorption: Acts as a mix of pseudo-Miracle Worker, TSS, and Jevonite Hardpoints consumable. Gives you a shield heal, an extra chunk of hull for awhile, a shield HoT, and a hull heal (I think).

Both, and presumably others will, do get stronger as you gain more charges in your Singularity, up to 5. Once you use an ability, you lose all charges and cannot gain anymore for 60 seconds.

However, the problem I feel doesn't lie with if these abilities are balanced as-is. I am thinking more about...are they balanced when people start to min-max them? For example...

Will that plasma shockwave get buffed by...plasma consoles, crit chance/severity bonuses, tac buffs, etc?

Is that Quantum Absorption going to be buffed by the Hull repair/Shield emitter skills? Will it be boosted by those consoles/deflectors that add to it?

And then there's the other skills we haven't gotten to yet on those.

Are they balanced now? Maybe. I quite like, at the moment at least, the big heal thing. I'm not used to these Romulan ships, and I can't access the resources off of my main account, so that heal has been extremely useful to save my 'green-blooded hobgoblin'-skin.

Things are bound to change, but I feel that trying to say what is balanced and what isn't balanced right now is a bit early, because we haven't seen everything yet. Singularity cores aren't just one thing. There's skills, different levels and rarities to them, new traits, maybe new sets, etc that will be affecting these.

Lots of variables left to discover before we make too many judgments.

Rihannsu
# 99
04-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Quantum Absorption: Acts as a mix of pseudo-Miracle Worker, TSS, and Jevonite Hardpoints consumable. Gives you a shield heal, an extra chunk of hull for awhile, a shield HoT, and a hull heal (I think).
no hull heal, just a shield boost, some regen, and temporary HP

Quote:
Will that plasma shockwave get buffed by...plasma consoles, crit chance/severity bonuses, tac buffs, etc?
i can tell you right now it does get buffed by plasma consoles; that was the first thing i tested when i got one; it also gets buffed by particle generators, but i don't know how much yet

don't know about tac buffs, since i rolled my tester as an engi

Quote:
Is that Quantum Absorption going to be buffed by the Hull repair/Shield emitter skills? Will it be boosted by those consoles/deflectors that add to it?
i would assume so, but i don't remember seeing that it was in the description
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Lieutenant
# 100
04-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Has anyone done any testing of these abilities with "Emergency Power to X", yet? Weapons? Aux?? Battery???

Sorry, I'm drunk, and feeling more "fatalistic" then usual...

Speaking of "Emergency Power to X" abilities... on paper I like the change they are making, as it makes activating the ability an "emergency", not just something you hit incidentally during your standard "Alpha Spike" rotation...
Closed Thread