Captain
# 71
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
yeah, and for the entirety of ENT, TOS, about half a season of DS9, and the first 6 films, they were enemies, so them being enemies with the federation is more canon than them being allies, not the other way around
Enterprise and TOS only ran 7 seasons, combined. That just equals TNG. So you still have 6.5 seasons of DS9 and all of Voyager with them as allies - as well as 4 TNG-era films.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Rihannsu
# 72
04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Enterprise and TOS only ran 7 seasons, combined. That just equals TNG. So you still have 6.5 seasons of DS9 and all of Voyager with them as allies - as well as 4 TNG-era films.
well, allies or enemies in this game, i just don't want to see them completely assimilated into the federation

that should stay a seperate entity as they currently are
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
# 73
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
well, allies or enemies in this game, i just don't want to see them completely assimilated into the federation

that should stay a seperate entity as they currently are
I'm not sure why you guys keep thinking allied means assimilated?

It's possible to have separate Fed and KDF missions, and to allow the Factions to team-up together to do each other's missions - which seems to be what the Roms are doing: you can team with them to do their missions.

Being allies just means they're not hostile toward each other. It doesn't mean the Federation gets absorbed by the KDF or the KDF get absorbed by the Federation. It's not as though the two Factions don't already work together in the Battle Group Omega.

I understand wanting the war due to PvP reasons but PvP's not exactly a huge draw for STO. The vast majority of fans don't seem to have much interest in STO PvP. PvE is where most of the fans prefer to be.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 74
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I'm not sure why you guys keep thinking allied means assimilated?

It's possible to have separate Fed and KDF missions, and to allow the Factions to team-up together to do each other's missions - which seems to be what the Roms are doing: you can team with them to do their missions.

Being allies just means they're not hostile toward each other. It doesn't mean the Federation gets absorbed by the KDF or the KDF get absorbed by the Federation. It's not as though the two Factions don't already work together in the Battle Group Omega.

I understand wanting the war due to PvP reasons but PvP's not exactly a huge draw for STO. The vast majority of fans don't seem to have much interest in STO PvP. PvE is where most of the fans prefer to be.
This is just 1 of the many reasons that the KDF population is small - PvP

Aside from all the broken elements, lack of leveling content - bugs - etc etc etc - many people have avoided the KDF because they are seen as the PVP faction.

This thread was never about the "Death/extinction of the KDF" more that with the Romulans and their access to "exclusive ships/consoles AND all KDF ships/consoles" - why would people roll a traditional klingon?

Yes yes fandom - but it's still a significan threat to the number of Klingon/Gorn/Orion etc players.

Romulans should only have access to Romulan ships/gear - or existing KDF players must have access to the romulan ships/gear. If not there is less reason to roll a Klingon and not a Romulan - as you will be able to mix and match ships and console.

So basically starting KDF off at LvL 1 - which so many players were crying for has effectively become a WASH - useless - as a informed player will look at the options and see Romulan/KDF adds more content/ships etc.

So big waste of an opportunity to build up Klingon players - it will be mostly rommie/kdf for the next while.
Captain
# 75
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
The way I see it most people are simply going to play wherever they are now. The KDF are probably going to make KDF Roms and the Feds are probably going to make Fed Roms. Why? Because most players have 9 months invested into their Fleet projects and they want to keep contributing to them.

There will be some small amount of cross-over but, for the most part, you're not going to see any bonus to the Fed side or the KDF side. The Rom expansion isn't going to bring in thousands of new players - though it might bring back some who have left, but only for a little while, and they will side with whatever Faction their primary character already is.

So long story short, I don't see the Rom expansion being a boon or a detriment to the KDF Fleets and projects. It's going to be business as usual. The only thing which will boost the KDF side is if Season 10 becomes a KDF Expansion.
Captain
# 76
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
If I had my choice you'd spend your first 30 levels in a war, then you'd spend the next 10 in a cease-fire, then you would ally to fight the Borg, Undine, and Iconian threats to the Alpha and Beta Quadrants for the remainder of the game. At that point PvP would simply be wargame events.

I know that's not going to be the case, but that is the version I would prefer to play in. It seems the most Trek to me: you hate each other, you find a common ground, you ally against a greater enemy. Those are the principals of how the Federation got started - and how the KDF and Fed eventually allied.
Captain
# 77
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't gve up on my KDF toons as I ma only going for 1 maybe 2 Rom toons.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 78
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
I wouldn't gve up on my KDF toons as I ma only going for 1 maybe 2 Rom toons.
I am not suggesting that people will give up their KDF toons - I have 6 that will still be used everyday.

The thing is people were asking for Lvl 1 and missions for so long - then they dump them out at the same time that you can roll a Rommie for 2x the ships and gear.

People where hoping LvL 1 would help increase the player base - when in reality it will just be washed over under the new Romulan content.
Survivor of Romulus
# 79
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
I am not suggesting that people will give up their KDF toons - I have 6 that will still be used everyday.

The thing is people were asking for Lvl 1 and missions for so long - then they dump them out at the same time that you can roll a Rommie for 2x the ships and gear.

People where hoping LvL 1 would help increase the player base - when in reality it will just be washed over under the new Romulan content.
There is another angle to that. Like I said previosely, everything is not that one-dimensional.

For example, not all people are mini-maxers in any way that fits the description, so there are a lot of casual players that will not consider making a Romulan just to get a couple of more ships. Many will, I give you that.
Also, many people that play STO are ST fans, like me. So regarding that I take myself as an example - In the KDF I have a fine option of Klingon, Orion, Nausicaan and Gorn ships. However, my Klingons only fly the Klingon ones. My Orions - Orion ones. If I feel like making a Nausicaan pirate when LoR hits holodeck, I'll be getting the Nausicaan line of starships for him. Just as I wouldn't put my Romulan char. into a Vorcha or a Vesta.
When I play STO, I like to be with at least a bit of substance and making a Romulan to fly a Defiant would not go down well for me. I suspect many Trek fans feel like this.

And don't forget the people that will be repulsed from making a Romulan char., due to not having fleets and starbases - therefore not perceiving the Republic as a faction. Quite a few of them on these forums.

So, you see, everything is not that dark. I agree that many people will go down the road you suggested, but I don't believe that it will hit other races in STO that hard. Same can be argued about the Federation as well, why make a Human when the Romulan gives me all + bonus Romulan content & ships?

P.S. Just to add that we haven't received a clear confirmation on how many and which ships of their allies will be availible to the Romulans and wheather they get access to all of them or a selected few.
Captain
# 80
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipagat View Post
This, a million times this. A lot of us play the game to be Klingons not some lapdog of the Feddies who want to dash through the daisies holding hands with the Klingon's while high from snorting illicit substances off the Klingon's battle cloaks.
The main reasons why i have gotten bored/annoyed with the Klingons is that there is only one (1) viable style to play and the marauding etc does not fit Klingon honour.

It has become downright boring to play Klingon. Joining the federation and access to (some) federation ships would give Klingon players a chance to differ their playing style and not get killed every few minutes doing so.

So other than sentiments like "Us against the evil federation" there is no reason why a KDF/Federation union is bad. The Klingons will actually get the chance to act with honour again.

I like the Klingons in the series (TNG/DS9), not the Klingons as they are portrayed in STO.
Closed Thread