Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Ensign
First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
Do all KDF players PvP? No.
Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

Now let me ask these questions:

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May)
Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own backstory? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own ships? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own uniforms? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own home base (Sol, Qono's)? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own distinct UI? Yes.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.
Rihannsu
# 2
03-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I agree. I don't get why people are unhappy with the current implementation either.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 3
03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.
Ensign
# 4
03-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.
They wouldn't have their own unique species (Remans and whatever might come)
They wound't have there own backstory (New Romulus prequel
they wouldn't have their own ships (Fed/ KDF don't get to fly Romulan ships)
They wouldn't have their own uniforms
They wouldn't have their own home base
They wouldn't have their own UI
They would be playing KDF Fed missions from 1-50

Everything I said above! So yes, it would have been a huge difference.
Captain
# 5
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theincredible33 View Post
First let me ask these questions:

Do all Fed players PvP? No.
Do all KDF players PvP? No.
Are all Fed players in a fleet? No.
Are all KDF players in a fleet? No.
Do all fleets choose to work on Starbases? No.

Now let me ask these questions:

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May)
Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes.
Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes.

It really comes down to "what makes a faction a faction?". Based on the above answers that are "no", I would say that's not what makes a faction and those that are "yes" do. And clearly, the Romulan Republic has all the yes items per the Ask Cryptic and dev posts from yesterday. Just because you pick an alliance does not mean you join them because that would be like saying the US has joined Canada or Mexico just because they have an alliance. Thats part of the New Romulan story and that is what is being told not the IRW.

I don't post on these forums often, but damn, give the Devs some credit, okay? They've been working their asses off for us (remember us hearing about their 6-day weeks?) and we should be thankful. This is entertainment that is not costing us anything. The expansion is free!

In the end, the Romulan Republic is a faction, no ifs and or buts and I can't wait to make a Romulan Republic character. I hope you can't either.
Do all Fed KDF players PVP? No, and neither will all Rommies. Doesn't change the fact that the Story forces Romulans to divide and be absorbed by their two mortal enemies.

Fed and KDF players have the option of using KDF or FED fleets, they aren't forced to use Ferengi ones or whatever.

I would expect that most do.

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May) And Romualns have to choose their faction at level 10. After that, they are no longer really a 'Romulan' Faction, as they essentially becoem part of their parent faction.

Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes. They have more options, and won't have two restricted from FTP by the paywalls of Lifetime/Gold.

Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes. They are re-doing a lot of the existing episodes for the Romulans, they have said this. Expect cut and paste.

Do the Romulans have an awful backstory thanks to the split from the RSE, being forced to work for a reunificationist, and then being given the choice of becoming a protectorate of one of their two mortal enemies? yes.

Which they will be lendign out to Romulans, and vica verca thanks to the hitned Romulan Lockbox and the Starbase system, diluting the uniqueness of all parties involved, but primarily the ROmulans, because they have little to go on for themselves aside from ships.

And what Do the Romulans have? The choice between Rags and a KDF/FED version of rags.
Where's our RSE uniforms? The ones already utilized by the NPCs?

last time I checked, the other two homeworlds are not adventure zones for the other faction to chase pig rabbits and spray bugs.

Changing the color to green makes them a faction....how?

The Romulan faction is a faction in name only, and the Romulans are Romulans in name only.
Career Officer
# 6
03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:

Not much, if any.
cryptic call it ,,faction,, biggest joke in ST universe creations ,generally .
Captain
# 7
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:

Not much, if any.
Nope, and cosnidering Cryptic has already said they are consdiering adding Romulan ships to lockboxes for everyone, it would accomplish the same goal, and the RSE/ Republic would still ahve at least a shred of its former dignity left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulanway View Post
cryptic call it ,,faction,, biggest joke in ST universe creations ,generally .
Someone in another topic described it as being mroe of a 'fraction' I think that is a more descriptive term for the state of the Romulans, IMO.
Empire Veteran
# 8
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Is the kdf a faction? Yes, but by far the worst faction in all mmo's
Ensign
# 9
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Do all Fed KDF players PVP? No, and neither will all Rommies. Doesn't change the fact that the Story forces Romulans to divide and be absorbed by their two mortal enemies.

but this doesnt take them away from being a faction

Fed and KDF players have the option of using KDF or FED fleets, they aren't forced to use Ferengi ones or whatever.

I would expect that most do.

what?

Do the existing factions have levels 1-50? Yes. (Well, the KDF will in May) And Romualns have to choose their faction at level 10. After that, they are no longer really a 'Romulan' Faction, as they essentially becoem part of their parent faction.

so, they form their alliance at level 10. DStahl said they have their own missions beyond this.

Do the existing factions have their own unique playable species? Yes. They have more options, and won't have two restricted from FTP by the paywalls of Lifetime/Gold.

so, make a alien is a reward for being gold and supporting the game. go gold for one month and stop the sub after you make it

Do the existing factions have their own episodes? Yes. They are re-doing a lot of the existing episodes for the Romulans, they have said this. Expect cut and paste.

where have they said this? This is from the Ask cryptic: Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

you think they are going to be able to tell the tutorial, the sela missions and the silent emeny missions in just 10 levels? I think we should wait to see what happens and I believe we will have or own after the alliance. says so above

Do the Romulans have an awful backstory thanks to the split from the RSE, being forced to work for a reunificationist, and then being given the choice of becoming a protectorate of one of their two mortal enemies? yes.

Blame is on JJ. I like the story Cryptic is telling.

Which they will be lendign out to Romulans, and vica verca thanks to the hitned Romulan Lockbox and the Starbase system, diluting the uniqueness of all parties involved, but primarily the ROmulans, because they have little to go on for themselves aside from ships.

i think that only romulan ships can be piloted by a romulan. so what if there is a lock box ship. that does not play in here to it not being a faction. we already have alien ships in fed/ kdf hands.

And what Do the Romulans have? The choice between Rags and a KDF/FED version of rags.
Where's our RSE uniforms? The ones already utilized by the NPCs?

they are not the RSE so they wound't have that. that's not what this story is

last time I checked, the other two homeworlds are not adventure zones for the other faction to chase pig rabbits and spray bugs.

The ask cryptic says: faction-exclusive social hub. I dont think that is new romulus.

Changing the color to green makes them a faction....how?

look at the legacyofromulus.com each are unique.

The Romulan faction is a faction in name only, and the Romulans are Romulans in name only.

do not agree
put my answers in red
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
This is a Alt 'faction" for fed and kdf players, there are no fleets and starbases, the Romulan player base will be splint between two existing faction and fleets.