Captain
# 1 More autofire, please.
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Dearest devs,

I would really appreciate the ability to put bridge officer powers on "autofire." I find that much of the time I am not able to pay attention to what's happening on the battlefield because I am so focused on the power tray watching and waiting for so many cools to end. I know that there are keybinds and macros and whatnot so that one can mash, spacebar, for example, and it will activate the powers attached to it as they come available, but I'd really rather avoid carpel tunnel, so having powers on autofire in the background would be great.

There's certainly something to be said for the timing of powers, for example, not activating an attack pattern until other cools have come off so that you can make a big spike of damage. However, there are other times when I just want my attack patterns going off as they come up and emergency powers popping off as they become available.

Of course, one could easily get into trouble if all powers have autofire capability. For example, if any of the sci/tac/eng team abilites are on autofire or aux2sif, when scrambled, one could be sending all those heals to the enemy, or if one targets a teammate or a stray allied carrier pet, those heals you may have desperately needed are now being enjoyed by some random, lucky toduj fighter. So it could be made so that "self only" powers are the only ones available for autofire, but I have never been a fan of fool proofing, making options unavailable simply because one could easily screw themselves with it if they aren't careful. So I would prefer it be available for all powers to be taken on and off of autofire as the player sees fit.

Additionally, I feel it would enhance the 'feel' of combat, at least for me. I'm the captain of a large starship, that means I should have loyal and competent minions who are smart enough to go from one attack pattern to the next or keep those torp spreads coming whenever available or diverting emergency power to systems as the power becomes available without me having to micromanage every little thing. It's my job to be aware of the field of battle, and to tell them to keep emergency power to shields as often as possible or no, save the power for when I tell you to use it, or engage in attack patterns freely or wait to omega or beta or delta till I say.

I'm sure there may be some nay-sayers to pop in here and say that they like the fast paced micromanagement and how it's such an integral part of the game to them, well, I'm asking for an option, not a requirement. If you want to keep everything on manual, then kudos to you. I, on the other hand, would like the option of some semi-automatic so I can focus my attention on a few powers I feel need to be critically timed like my heals, while letting the attack powers go off as available, or vice versa. Now, you might say to that "LAZY!" well... maybe, but honestly, for me it's more about being able to watch donatra/thing 1 or 2 (the borg queens unimatrix bodyguiards)/the queen so that I can see that swarm of itty bitty dots inbound that's about to wreck my day instead of staring at the powers tray so I don't miss a beat. Or to be able to watch my distance so that I don't get into the queen's insta-kill 5km range or donatra's hide and go seek inducing 5km range while at the same time staying within 10km So... more autofire, or a giant red exclamation point that pops up on the screen to let me know that the shizzle is about to hit the fan... either will do, but I would prefer the former.

I probably should have prefaced all this with the fact that I'm pretty much always the one tanking, so I'm both trying to keep my damage at max to hold agro while at the same time trying not to die. If I'm not paying attention to the battlefield so much as the damage reports and organizing repairs, I can easily get too close or drift out of range, so it would be incredibly helpful if I didn't have to spend so much time staring at the dashboard and could keep my eyes on the road. So yeah, more autofire pretty please. :3
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I second this because I can't be bothered to play the game at all
Captain
# 3
04-05-2013, 10:48 PM
You need to learn the way of the keybound spacebar, Padawan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 4
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Meanwhile, in an uncondescending tone:

This is a fine idea. Make it so that we can right-click powers in the tray so that they activate as often as they are able to. A second click takes the ability off automatic.

Or if cryptic wants to get REALLY fancy, then right-clicking puts the ability into the mode "Use this once as soon as it's available", right-clicking a second time puts it into the mode "Use this as soon and as often as possible", and a third right-click puts it back on manual.

Problems with relying on key binds:

* Not even suggested as being a possibility by the UI.
* No way to see a list of what's bound to what.
* Adjusting binds with the command line during battle is clumsy.
Captain
# 5
04-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Heck I'd just be happy for a keybind to activate an entire chain instead of just one power in the chain at a time. Mashing my spacebar 8 times every 15 seconds can't be good for the keyboard's longevity.
Commander
# 6
04-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
This is a fine idea. Make it so that we can right-click powers in the tray so that they activate as often as they are able to. A second click takes the ability off automatic.
IIRC Perfect World (the game, not the company) has something like that. The game Sins of a Solar Empire also has that mechanic.

Two thumbs up!

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Commander
# 7
04-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Its rather silly to have to bind a chain of keys to my poor abused spacebar to get a functional ship. my keybind for spacebar on the vesta is so long that it takes 3 seconds of hitting it before I get to the one that starts to fire weapons. Not so bad now that I'm not using an A2Bat build that one had a ludicrous keybind.

This is really far along the ST timeline why dont their shields automatically distribute power by now really? Maybe have a auto fire all toggle for weps, just the little things.
Captain
# 8
04-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakhglitch View Post
IIRC Perfect World (the game, not the company) has something like that. The game Sins of a Solar Empire also has that mechanic.

Two thumbs up!
yea, but in sins this depleted your antimatter supply pretty quick.
blowing all the am on flackbursts when there where no fighters is one i remember seeing a lot.

if some of these abilities are on off abilities that drained power from given systems to operate it would make more sense imo.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.

Last edited by skollulfr; 04-06-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Captain
# 9
04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicshower View Post
I second this because I can't be bothered to play the game at all
To me, playing the game is more about strategy, positioning myself and selecting the right targets, monitoring the battlefield, not monitoring the cools on 20 powers and staring at my ship's status indicators while micromanaging absolutely everything.

The only things I would really need/want going off on auto with my current build would be my two attack patterns (boff powers, not captain) and my emergency power to shields and weapons, maybe fire at wills/torp spreads when they basically need to be going off back to back to take out constant swarms. My transfer shield strength, auxiliary power to structural, hazard emitters, tractor beams, and captain powers would all be on manual, while also navigating my ship and selecting the best target. So it's not like I want the "'I win' fully automatic button, and while we're at it, why not let my ship fly itself?"... I would like to be able to focus MORE on the position/course/speed of my ship and focus on the few powers I need to coordinate to keep myself/my team alive instead of having to do absolutely everything.
Captain
# 10
04-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Hahah I remember those days. clicking the buttons on the power tray, while periodically glancing up at the ship and thinkig how much fun the ship is having while I'm here mashing buttons

Then I learned about /bind and now I have fun again

Auto-activation would be alright with me. So would a keybind editor.
Closed Thread