Commander
# 21
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3001 View Post
Purely for your amusement, and (perhaps by the off chance) your education, let me lay it all out for you:

Albeit not a direct quote from any mod (which would have ended this argument WAYYYY before season 1), as far as legal rights, copyright laws, and licencing are as far concerned, the statement above me pretty much sums up what Cryptic can make, and what Cryptic can not make.

From Wikipedia:

At Star Trek's creation, Norway Productions, Roddenberry's production company, shared ownership with Desilu Productions and, after Gulf+Western acquired Desilu in 1967, with Paramount Pictures, the conglomerate's film studio. Paramount did not want to own the unsuccessful show; net profit was to be shared between Norway, Desilu/Paramount, Shatner, and NBC but Star Trek lost money, and the studio did not expect to syndicate it. In 1970 Paramount offered to sell all rights to Star Trek to Roddenberry, but he could not afford the $150,000 ($898,000 today) price
In 1989 Gulf+Western renamed itself as Paramount Communications, and in 1994 merged with Viacom. In 2005 Viacom divided into CBS Corporation, whose CBS Television Studios subsidiary retained the Star Trek brand, and Viacom, whose Paramount Pictures subsidiary retained the Star Trek film library and rights to make additional films, along with video distribution rights to the TV series on behalf of CBS. - Wikipedia

Nifty eh? To really condense it for you, just skip to the bottom half. Now, going back to the first quote:

"No - for the same reason as the JJ-prise/2009 Enterprise won't be in the game. Paramount owns the movies, CBS owns the rights to the TV series.

Crypric has a contract with CBS but not Paramount, therefore nothing from Trek 09, or the upcoming new movie, will feature in STO."

Couldn't have said it better myself. My argument is locktight, good sir. What's yours?
Paramount owns the rights to the movies, I know that, but saying that there will never be anything from the new movies in the game is like saying that Star Wars the Clone wars is gone for good. Nothing is impossible, sure there's a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that that doesnt rule out the possibility. and besides, if you actually read my entire OP I said thats what I want ingame, and that if you dont agree what would you want ingame?
Captain
# 22
03-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
The only thing we might see from the new Star Trek is the Kelvin, since that technically a modified Saladin / Hermes and existed at the time the timelines diverged. But that is a massive long-shot.
With the exception of having only one nacelle, it's nothing like a Saladin class, 'cos of the huge engineering hull.
We have more chance of getting a pre Borg Nerada or Jellyfish due to them appearing in the Countdown comics, the prequel to STO.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Republic Veteran
# 23
03-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by general1devon View Post
Paramount owns the rights to the movies, I know that, but saying that there will never be anything from the new movies in the game is like saying that Star Wars the Clone wars is gone for good. Nothing is impossible, sure there's a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that that doesnt rule out the possibility. and besides, if you actually read my entire OP I said thats what I want ingame, and that if you dont agree what would you want ingame?
its not completely impossible. they just have to jump through more hoops, and it might have a hefty pricetag attached to it should it ever actually happen. Paramount could always say No even after CBS opens negotiations with STO and paramount on it.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 24
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by general1devon View Post
Paramount owns the rights to the movies, I know that...
So you agree my argument is valid? Legality aside, the chances of Paramount relinquishing the rights to the movies are slim to none since, from your OP, the 2009 film was a smashing success. Thus, the common response for something that makes money for a business that operates solely for the pursuit of profit is a solid 'no'.

And for the sake of the record: what i want to see is less JJ and more Roddenberry.
On the subject of Abramsverse stuff in STO: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07...l-rivera-part/
And more reasons against JJ Trek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ9piVgtWM
And even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOjxvQPQNQ

Last edited by a3001; 03-31-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Career Officer
# 25
03-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
With the exception of having only one nacelle, it's nothing like a Saladin class, 'cos of the huge engineering hull.
Did you not understand the word "Modified" in my post?

Stick an engineering hull on a pylon above the saucer and you turned a Saladin into - le gasp - a Kelvin!

You should see some examples of a TOS Kelvin .

Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
We have more chance of getting a pre Borg Nerada or Jellyfish due to them appearing in the Countdown comics, the prequel to STO.
Um, dream on bud. We will never see these two ships - EVER!

The closests we will ever get to the Narada being in STO is sticking a Borg Set on a starship and those prongs coming out of the Deflector. And the Jellyfish ... goody another runabout.

Last edited by azurianstar; 03-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Career Officer
# 26
03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
The Jellyfish and Nero's ship are from the Prime universe.

The designs are owned by Paramount, yes, but that just means they aren't included in the current fee.

And all that means is that Paramount needs to be persuaded via a dollar amount or a sufficient promotional need to sign off on Cryptic using them.

For example, a giveaway at showings of Into Darkness. Or a partnership with IDW or Playmates on Trek movie tie ins. Or maybe as a bonus with the eventual deluxe packaging of the new Star Trek JJ verse shooter.

It's not like CBS and Paramount are rivals or are fundamentally at odds. It's probably easier than getting the Vesta in game. The real question is whether the cost would be worth it, which is why it would probably make more sense in a scenario where Paramount is paying Cryptic for a promotional tie in or is willing to accept a reduced licensing fee in exchange for exposure for a product.

CBS and Paramount partner on the JJverse Trek comics licensing, almost the entirety of which features elements of both mixed.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
I just want my Scimitar.

That ship is extremely cool. All other opinions are invalidated by it's epicness.

AKA, it can't hear you over the sound of it's Thalaron reactor.
I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!
Empire Veteran
# 28
04-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Rihannsu
# 29
04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3001 View Post
So you agree my argument is valid? Legality aside, the chances of Paramount relinquishing the rights to the movies are slim to none since, from your OP, the 2009 film was a smashing success. Thus, the common response for something that makes money for a business that operates solely for the pursuit of profit is a solid 'no'.

And for the sake of the record: what i want to see is less JJ and more Roddenberry.
Actually, ask yourself this: How much stuff from the movies is already in STO? That should tell you whether or not we'll get more. :p We already have the uniforms worn in the TNG movies, ships of the same class as the Enterprise-E, and several things related to the plots of the TNG movies. Such as, Remans, Scimitar-class ships, Red Matter, the nebula that Insurrection took place in, and a variety of others.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 30
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually, ask yourself this: How much stuff from the movies is already in STO? That should tell you whether or not we'll get more. :p We already have the uniforms worn in the TNG movies, ships of the same class as the Enterprise-E, and several things related to the plots of the TNG movies. Such as, Remans, Scimitar-class ships, Red Matter, the nebula that Insurrection took place in, and a variety of others.
This all the way ----^