Ensign
# 11
03-31-2013, 04:51 PM
I like this idea. I find that personally, I joined a small Fleet before the fleet Starbase system came into effect, and out of loyalty, I've poured stuff into it. Now my fleet would love to merge with another one, and get some of the benefit of the past work we've put into it. Sure, we could just abandon it. But we don't because we've put too much work into it that we just can't see losing. And yet, there's no way we will ever get to Tier 5. With this idea, we could not only make the work we've already done useful, but be able to group with some other like minded people. I give this idea.... TWO THUMBS UP!!!!
Republic Veteran
# 12
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Instead of mergers, I favor an alliance / Fleet Co-Op system where you can pool resources among small fleets. Because some small fleets (especially at this point) rather keep their identity than "becoming one with the Collective".
And how does that work in terms of Starbases? You get 5 or 10 or 20 starbases for the cost of 1? You have to all grind for one of the other allied fleets? and have to use that starbase?

I'm not saying the idea is bad, I'm just not sure how it would work out.

I'm in a small fleet of friends that all played prior to Starbases even being announced, we are stuck with the upgrade to T1 starbase in queue. I put a ton of personal effort into this useless base and feel kind of stuck here. I'd feel like a leech if I tried to find a larger fleet, because I don't have anything to offer, its all in my dead starbase, and I don't see the fleet growing, so my only hope is a pooling of resources of some kind, but I don't want to just be the resource collector for another fleet either.
Captain
# 13
03-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolzenwolf View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
Firstly, I'd prefer you spell my forum handle correctly, thank you very much.

Secondly, as there have been numerous proposals on the forums on various ways to adjust the sum of contributions from two or more fleets, it was not apparent from the explanation that the merging was from the actual value of the XP earned, and not simply adding tier numbers.

Finally, I find that personal attack extremely rude.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 04-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Ensign
# 14
03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I think this would be a great idea--not to mention it would allow some of the inter-fleet alliances that already exist in-game to be formalized.
+1 Absolutely AGREE!!!!
Captain
# 15
03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
And how does that work in terms of Starbases? You get 5 or 10 or 20 starbases for the cost of 1? You have to all grind for one of the other allied fleets? and have to use that starbase?
That's kind of the issue I have with that idea...I am not sure how the distribution of resources would be to anyone's benefit to reduce the grind. That's why I support the merger idea instead.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 16
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolzenwolf View Post
Are you saying you want all fleets to share one starbase? Now you have a much more complex code environment, where each fleet's contributions must somehow be tracked and rewarded appropriately. Else, what do you do when fleets dissolve the relationship? And if you make it a permanent decision, then you have a single fleet with sixteen different names and rank structures. All MMOs require you to choose between joining a big guild/fleet/whatever, or having a unique identity, and giving up the big-group benefits until your smaller group can do it themselves. However, on other MMOs, it doesn't require nearly as much effort to level a new guild. A small but active guild on WoW would be approaching level 25 this many months after the mechanic came out on STO. Small fleets here are all T2, and some T3. Since Cryptic chose to present such a barrier to progress as they did, we ask that we be allowed to take the millions of dil we've poured into our fleets, and just combine them into a single fleet.
NO you don't share a Fleet Starbase or even resource projects, you only share progress in building a starbase.

Meaning if Fleet A is still at Tier 1, Fleet B is at Tier 2, an alliance would build up Fleet A to the same level as Fleet B and you progress together and get to Tier 3 at the same time. Or that the progress is even and Fleet B will hit the next Tier before Fleet A will, since Fleet A started off with a small disadvantage being one tier lower. But when they hit Tier 5, the alliance continues and Fleet A will get to Tier 5 as a Team.

And I've played many MMOs since Everquest, and I don't recall a single one "requires you to choose between joining a big guild". Choose a side yes, but never force you to join a guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post

I'm not saying the idea is bad, I'm just not sure how it would work out.

I'm in a small fleet of friends that all played prior to Starbases even being announced, we are stuck with the upgrade to T1 starbase in queue. I put a ton of personal effort into this useless base and feel kind of stuck here. I'd feel like a leech if I tried to find a larger fleet, because I don't have anything to offer, its all in my dead starbase, and I don't see the fleet growing, so my only hope is a pooling of resources of some kind, but I don't want to just be the resource collector for another fleet either.
Easy math man, if 3 individual fleets have 15 people total, would progress the same as a single fleet that has........15 people. So if you get a bunch of fleets and equal to the size of a large fleet, then you will have the progress of a large fleet.

Limits and such, would ultimately be up to Cryptic. Like the alliance system only working fleets under 20-30 people, and limiting the alliance to two or three fleets. You know, so there is no farming fleets established by Goldfarmers.

Large Fleets could benefit as well, where they could take a small fleet under their wings and dump resources into the small fleet (they earn much needed Fleet Marks, while the small one moves forward).

Of course, for the community's sake, there likely be somekind of limit like Fleets have to be 6 months old so they don't end up making an alt fleet just to level that up instead of assisting Fleets in Need.

That sort of thing.

Last edited by azurianstar; 03-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Captain
# 17
03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Coming this Month:

"The First Solo Built T4 Starbase"

Rated R
Ensign
# 18
04-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Quote:
NO you don't share a Fleet Starbase or even resource projects, you only share progress in building a starbase.

Meaning if Fleet A is still at Tier 1, Fleet B is at Tier 2, an alliance would build up Fleet A to the same level as Fleet B and you progress together and get to Tier 3 at the same time. Or that the progress is even and Fleet B will hit the next Tier before Fleet A will, since Fleet A started off with a small disadvantage being one tier lower. But when they hit Tier 5, the alliance continues and Fleet A will get to Tier 5 as a Team.
So one project would yield progress to multiple starbases. Full credit to each, no less. I think most of the community will agree when I say Cryptic is highly unlikely to want anything to do with that idea. If they were willing to up the rewards/reduce the costs of these projects then we'd likely not even be having this conversation.

Quote:
And I've played many MMOs since Everquest, and I don't recall a single one "requires you to choose between joining a big guild". Choose a side yes, but never force you to join a guild.
Ah, the straw man argument. Argued by many to be contemptible. By most, accepted as a sign of weakness. Seldom really held up as desirable. If you don't want the benefits, you're right, you're not forced to choose a guild. Again, in which case, we aren't having this discussion, because your non-existent guild doesn't have a starbase or an alliance. If you want the benefits of guild membership, you get a big one to have help leveling, or a small one, and dig in for the long haul. On STO, however, the haul is REALLY long. Unless you're born2bwild1. Grats on that.

Your alliance calls for a new mechanic, as does the OP's merger, but yours remains in force, while the merger, once completed, ceases to operate. The fleets are merged, the XP amounts are updated, and the mechanic shuts down. The desired operation is simple enough it could be done manually by the devs. The window for bugs is closed. Your alliance, on the other hand, requires the sharing mechanic to function with every completed project in every allied fleet. That's a LOT of opportunities for failure.

And finally, the OP put a lot of work into his thread. You want to hi-jack it for a concept you didn't even bother to really illuminate in your first post. You didn't describe your mechanic until your second post, when you had to respond to your critics. Next time, make your own thread, don't hi-jack, and try to polish your post a little.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-01-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry Stolzenwolf, but you don't speak for me or anyone else here on the forum. And what you posted was rather rude.

I think Azurian's idea a very good one since small fleets don't have to give up their work or leave for another fleet. They can stay with their friends and progress with other fleets, which is a good example of Star Trek's togetherness. Much better than merging and possibily getting into a fight and having to start all over.
Career Officer
# 20
04-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Coming this Month:

"The First Solo Built T4 Starbase"

Rated R
This keeps getting brought up in any thread that mentions starbases and small fleets. It's not applicable to normal circumstances for the average player. It's not lending anything to the conversation at hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
The cost of actually commissioning an artisan to make a real physical model of my starship using 1 pound of 14k gold will probably cost less than creating a "gold ship" in STO.