Republic Veteran
# 21
04-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
NO you don't share a Fleet Starbase or even resource projects, you only share progress in building a starbase.

Meaning if Fleet A is still at Tier 1, Fleet B is at Tier 2, an alliance would build up Fleet A to the same level as Fleet B and you progress together and get to Tier 3 at the same time. Or that the progress is even and Fleet B will hit the next Tier before Fleet A will, since Fleet A started off with a small disadvantage being one tier lower. But when they hit Tier 5, the alliance continues and Fleet A will get to Tier 5 as a Team.

And I've played many MMOs since Everquest, and I don't recall a single one "requires you to choose between joining a big guild". Choose a side yes, but never force you to join a guild.

Easy math man, if 3 individual fleets have 15 people total, would progress the same as a single fleet that has........15 people. So if you get a bunch of fleets and equal to the size of a large fleet, then you will have the progress of a large fleet.

Limits and such, would ultimately be up to Cryptic. Like the alliance system only working fleets under 20-30 people, and limiting the alliance to two or three fleets. You know, so there is no farming fleets established by Goldfarmers.

Large Fleets could benefit as well, where they could take a small fleet under their wings and dump resources into the small fleet (they earn much needed Fleet Marks, while the small one moves forward).

Of course, for the community's sake, there likely be somekind of limit like Fleets have to be 6 months old so they don't end up making an alt fleet just to level that up instead of assisting Fleets in Need.

That sort of thing.
I doubt they would ever allow multiple fleets to work together to get multiple starbases for the cost of one.

However, I could see them allowing T5 fleets to adopt smaller fleets to sink resources into for earning Fleet Credits, assuming it also gives some other benefit to the large fleet to do so.
Captain
# 22
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure what incentive would cause a T5 fleet to play adopt-a-fleet, especially when as I understand it hthey will continue to have an extensive need to find provisions and operational assets, and other goodies for their own members. I doubt a mechanism could be found to reward them for that, that would justify it in the eyes of the fleets that worked so hard for their own base. At least in an outright merger, the incoming fleet is bringing in the full sum of their contributions and has done something substantial to earn their keep, so to speak. It is a more equitable approach, I believe.

Yeah...the math on the alliance idea just doesn't add up, and furthermore I doubt Cryptic would go for something that, as I read azurianstar's idea, would actually reduce the costs of the projects themselves, dramatically. (The whole multiple starbases for the price of one thing.). What's in it for Cryptic but a huge loss and reduced demand on dilithium and Therefore more people able to grind dil for Zen instead of buying Zen with money, which they need to keep the game alive?

With a fleet merger system, the ultimate amount of each economic input remains the same. Cryptic does not have to fear a massive surge in players' ability to use the dilithium exchange in lieu of buying it. And face it...Cryptic IS trying to limit our ability to do so, and that fact will not change.

But what a player gets out of a merger is seeing progress more quickly, and once they have hit T5, increased ability by the fleet to run and fund projects to get them all the goodies they have waited for. And with less frustration. It's still the same economy, but the player feels less boxed into a grind.

Finally--there are some fleets out there that already desire to merge due to their existing alliances (out of game, in Teamspeak and places like that) being so strong that they want the ability to merge regardless.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 04-01-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Left some points out.
Career Officer
# 23
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
I doubt they would ever allow multiple fleets to work together to get multiple starbases for the cost of one.

However, I could see them allowing T5 fleets to adopt smaller fleets to sink resources into for earning Fleet Credits, assuming it also gives some other benefit to the large fleet to do so.
Well Stahl said on Ask Cryptic they are working on something, so you never know.

But surely there is no harm with one or two fleets working together in mutual cooperation. After all as they get in higher teirs, there is a likely increase in people buying Zen to turn into Dilithium and buying Zen to buy Fleet Modules for Fleet ships. At the same time, with increased progress, that's less players giving up in frustration, thus retaining a playerbase. Which surely is what Cryptic values.
Lieutenant
# 24
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Sandiee i agree. i have many fleets. with over many players but there has been time we have thought about pulling it all back.. but there is no way to do it. please cyriptic make way to merge fleets. small could pool there resources.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91853853000&dateline=  1340532993
Ensign
# 25
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
As a leader of a small fleet, and having alts in other fleets, I agree with the original post. A way to merge smaller fleets/starbases as described would be a brilliant idea.
You have my positive vote!
Career Officer
# 26
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
I am very much in favor of a fleet merging system.
Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
04-03-2013, 05:50 AM
I can see this being a good idea. I was part of a small fleet with a distinct ethos for a long time. We got to tier one after much slogging away. Eventually we decided to cut our losses, after finding another fleet with a similar outlook to ours. Great - my fellow players are now at Fleet 3, instead of fleet 1, and we have more people to talk to.

However, in a distant corner of Federation Space is my old Starbase, populated by the ever-faithful NPCs and an Alt or two I kept in the first fleet as caretakers, bin-emptiers and the like. All the effort we put into that base is still there - it'd be lovely if we could merge the old and new fleet into one, and ship however much Fleet XP we had in the old fleet over to the new. It won't get us up a tier, it may not even push the bar along more than a few pixels. But it'd help. And more importantly, perhaps, it'd make all that effort worth it.
Career Officer
# 28
04-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Meaning if Fleet A is still at Tier 1, Fleet B is at Tier 2, an alliance would build up Fleet A to the same level as Fleet B and you progress together and get to Tier 3 at the same time. Or that the progress is even and Fleet B will hit the next Tier before Fleet A will, since Fleet A started off with a small disadvantage being one tier lower. But when they hit Tier 5, the alliance continues and Fleet A will get to Tier 5 as a Team.
So what happens when Fleet A decides to coast and let Fleet B do all the work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Captain
# 29
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
As a clarification to this idea, here's how I think the actual merger mechanic would work, in order to ensure that all resources contributed by fleet members--to include dilithium (which equates to players' real money in some cases, and therefore must be handled with the UTMOST care).

Bear in mind, the ultimate goal of this plan would be to get all resources converted into XP, so that that XP from the smaller fleet can be added without being diluted in any way, to the larger destination fleet.

To get this to work, some time will be required on the part of the two fleets, but this is probably the best way to make it happen without losing any of the economic inputs (fleet marks, experience, dilithium, DOFFS, etc.).

One thing that is almost a given is that the two fleets being merged will not be running the same projects at the same time. So the only way to roll one into the other is to get those projects converted into XP. There is likely not a mechanic already in-game to convert partway-finished projects into a percentage amount of XP--and we do not want for there either to be a bugged attempt to do so, or for the resources in the in-progress projects to simply be vaporized.

So what should happen to the smaller fleet that wishes to be absorbed by a larger fleet when they press the "Merge" button is this.

All projects currently being contributed to (i.e. the 4 or 5 projects on the left side) should be required to be finished before the merger takes place. All projects queued but NOT yet being contributed to (i.e. the projects on the right side) should be deleted. Nothing lost here, since no resources have been put in yet. The merger will complete once all starbase and embassy projects on the smaller fleet are complete, and the merger is as simple as adding up the total XP in all 4 categories (starbase, military, engineering, and science).

We know this kind of "freeze" mechanic already exists, given what happens when you activate the "Upgrade to Tier ___" project: once you've started that one, you cannot add any more projects until the upgrade project is complete. This is similar, with the one addition that the "right-side" projects with no contributions yet would need to be purged as well.

This means there will be a delay before the merger comes into effect, but it will ensure all fleet members' contributions are properly recognized and accounted for, with no loss (to include financial loss, given that some dilithium may have been bought with real money--a fact that cannot be understated when it comes to how to do this in an honest manner).
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 30
04-04-2013, 05:36 AM
Why not just tailor a few projects for small fleets that have 75% less cost balanced by 48 hour completion timers? If costs are the problem for small fleets, this would solve the issue and wouldn't require the amount of programming a fleet merge feature would involve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.