Career Officer
# 31
04-02-2013, 07:19 AM
With this new exploit/tactic we need of adapt and counter. I'll be putting my inertia damper consoles on when fighting klinks. Soften the stun in order to put up your defenses quicker. And/or have an alt boff with Aux2dampeners...try to listen for the bop buffing, pop it then your immune to shockwave. Sensorscan/FOMM, APB then they can only run but battlecloak will fail if they're still nearby.
Captain
# 32
04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
New Tactic ?

mhahahaha

These new kids are so cute. Ok that could sound mean... this is one of the oldest bop builds in the game. Just saying its nothing new. Funny that people are still qqing about it 3 years in though.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 33
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
New Tactic ?

mhahahaha

These new kids are so cute. Ok that could sound mean... this is one of the oldest bop builds in the game. Just saying its nothing new. Funny that people are still qqing about it 3 years in though.
Well, the shockwave aspect might be a bit newer. But yeah, combining subnukes with an alphastrike is hardly new. I don't do use subnukes because I fly a tac officer, but I use VM 2/3 or Magnetometric Generator (or both, to be sure). . .usually does the trick.
Career Officer
# 34
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
New Tactic ?

mhahahaha

Oh i know it's nothing new. I used Aux2dampeners 2 years ago. Lately I've been using my sci scort to scan nuke then pop unsuspecting bops that come my way.

My response is for the noobs who are desperately looking for a counter to it as I was years ago.
Captain
# 35
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
New Tactic ?

mhahahaha

The B'rel EBC is not blipping. Going to be fixed on Thursday, hopefully. Fixed on Redshirt. So one could say that it is a relatively new exploit/tactic - given the length of time that the exploit has been available in the game. If they're still complaining after the fix as such, well - that would be kind of cute...mean sounding or not.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 36
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I remember when I could use Tyken's to shut down a whole Fedball's shields and stop them in their tracks.

The hate I got for that was glorious.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Career Officer
# 37
04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
I remember when I could use Tyken's to shut down a whole Fedball's shields and stop them in their tracks.

Yes we all used to hate that very much!
Captain
# 38
04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post

I'm wondering what the hate will be for folks running ISO & the Tholian T5. Both from the groups using it and the "pranksters" that SS the enemy before using it.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 39
04-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
The B'rel EBC is not blipping. Going to be fixed on Thursday, hopefully. Fixed on Redshirt. So one could say that it is a relatively new exploit/tactic - given the length of time that the exploit has been available in the game. If they're still complaining after the fix as such, well - that would be kind of cute...mean sounding or not.
Yes its true there is a bug in game right now... still not every bop decloaking is using either a brel or D bag boffs.

Just the fact that its a possible exploit out there gets peoples QQ up.

I had someone QQing me a couple days ago in kerrat... and I'm in a norg don't have sub boffs and heck I don't even use shockwave anymore... that's so 3 years ago. hehe

For sure I can't wait for this one to get fixed. Really it happens any time there is a known exploit in the game, people would rather believe that killed them then a mistake on there part.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renimalt View Post
Retrosrages, it sounds like you're having difficulty surviving the initial PSW stun. Surviving the stun and the strike that follows is all about getting the critical buffs that will keep you alive up before the stun hits, and then applying repairs/other countermeasures when you regain control. You'll need to pay attention and anticipate PSWs before they hit you, but once you do you'll easily counter most of these alpha strikes.

There are number of hard counters to the stun effect caused by PSW, and a number of soft counters that will help you survive the followup strike. Here are a couple:
  • Attack Pattern Omega: Hard counter. Directly prevents the stun effect from PSW. Use this before you get hit by PSW and you won't be locked out of your abilities. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)
  • Auxiliary to Inertial Dampeners: Hard counter. Also directly counters the stun effect from PSW.
  • Tactical Team: Soft counter, but extremely effective. Use this before the PSW hits; you'll still be stunned, but their attacks won't instantly break your shields and cripple your hull.
  • Any abilities that grant shield/hull resist: Soft counters. Use them to strengthen your shields/hull and you'll be more likely to survive until you regain control of your abilities.
  • Evasive Maneuvers: Extremely soft counter, but occasionally effective. Remember, you can still pilot your ship while stunned; pop Evasive and then spin around them to throw off their firing arcs.

The main thing that I'd like to point out is that you have to pop these counters before you get hit by PSW. This means that you need to pay attention to what's going on around you. Here are some suggestions:
  • Turn up your audio; you can often hear the cloaked bops applying their buffs and preparing their alpha strike.
  • Watch for other debuffs being applied to you; some bops will use VM or tractor beams on you before they go through their PSW + alpha strike. When you see these debuffs, get your trigger finger ready on your counters.
  • Above all, stay alert. Even when they're starting from cloak, it usually takes a second (and produces a distinctive sound) to decloak. Use this time to apply your counters. You won't get to hit more than one or two, but any one of the above counters should be enough to save your bacon.

Just speaking from my experience, TT + EPtS is usually enough to keep you alive through the stun. Mini can attest to the many times I've foiled his alpha strikes -- not only on me, but also on any other target he might be trying to tackle.

The PSW + BO + THY + whatever bop strike is high-risk, high-reward. It will kill you if you're not prepared, but if you pay even the slightest amount of attention to what's going on and apply your counters correctly, you will survive these alpha strikes -- at which point you should make those silly klinks rue the day they decided to target you!

As renimalt and darkfader1988 are well aware, players cannot 'pre-buff' before being hit with photonic shockwave that disables their entire tray which means that they cannot defend themselves for 4-5 seconds

Also most cloaked bop players will buff up 6km away so you can't hear them buff up...ergo you don't know when they will attack and before you know it, they are .9km away from you ship uncloaking and spamming photonic shockwave followed by 2 stacks of BO III with HY III torpedo in the pinch.

All it takes is 1 second for minimax and Mt lolly to kill a player...leaving them the extra 3-4 seconds remaining of shockwave duration to spam fireworks gloatingly.

They are well aware that phonotic shockwave was designed as an interupt against healers in general...not as an abusive exploit that gives a bop burst dps player 5 seconds of free shooting anyone without being fired up as they come out of stealth and enjoy killing defenceless players in that manner.

While it may seem like fun to you, its not fun for a player (who could be 10 times more skilled than the bop kdf player) who gets 1-shot killed in any game especially in STO.

Its why they nerfed snipers in tor because no one liked getting 1-shotted ...in the end everyone was happy with the nerf-including the snipers because they still have one of the highest burst dps ingame within star wars the old republic

As for renimalt, you are wrong in that there are hard counters to Photonic shockwave. There are only 'soft' counters and i stress on the word soft. Omega and Auxiliary to damps require you to anticipate when your bop opponent is about to attack and since you can't hear them buff at a certian distance...means they can attack you before you can buff your defenses regardless. Even if you pop omega and auxiliary to damps they have short duration so that's no solution unless you can see through the bop cloak to know when they are about to attack.
Spending 6-9 points in inertial dampeners in skill tree does absolutely nothing to prevent you getting disabled for 2-4 seconds from the shockwave so you still end up being blown up after 1 second. And everyone knows that in a fight, 1 second is an eternity...so 4-5 seconds is antagonizingly worse

Tac team doesn't work fast enough to distribute shields against Beam overload... I am quoating minimax directly as he told me that Beam overload melts your shields before the game's engine reacts and kicks into action to calculate the distribution of the shields. So when you stack 2 beam overload III you can see that tac team is utterly useless ...

Once again you can't use evasive maneuvers or pop rsp once the bop player decides to attack you since you have been hit with photonic shockwave ...so no counter there

and keeping your shield resistence up requires you to rotate your shield buffs if you can't anticipate these bop players. and Most people won't be able to rotate them since they won't have enough shield buffs to keep shield resistence high enough to withstand a 120k burst dps attack in 1 second.

Tractor beam repulsors have a limited range of about 3-4km distance so that's not really a counter to track/ anticipate a bop cloaked player because they will tend to stay 6km away until its time to come in for the kill.

Seriously Renimalt you know this yet why are you wasting your time trying to tell us exactly what DOESN'T work? Its like you want to keep using a broken/ OP, exploitive bop build to 1 shot players unfairly. Every game iv come across, people hated 1 shots which is why Halo nerfed the shotguns in multiplayer because it was op, tor nerfed snipers and so on...every game you name it, nobody should be able to 1 shoot anouther player in 1 second.

Essentially, there is NO known HARD counter or resistence to being stunned for 3-4 seconds at all. There is no known counter to being 1 shot killed. And don't bother argueing that last statement as if I could use RSP to counter BO III they can simply use ramming speed and abandon ship to do kinetic dmg instead of energy...and if anyone's being unforturnate enough to be on the recieving end of that, will know that tac players can do +100k KINETIC dps so rsp wouldn't shield me from that..

No known HARD counter which makes this completely OP/exploitive.

Just my two cents