Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
In the March 'Ask Cryptic' Dstahl gave a reason as to why the Romulans weren't getting their own fleet system. At the time, and as much as I didn't like what I read, it did make sense. This is the particular part of the quote I am referring too:
Quote:
Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl:

[snip]
Our goal is to encourage existing Fleets, many of whom have spent countless hours on their Starbases, to stay in business and welcome in New Romulans instead of splintering to go "do it all over again". We want captains to group with Fleet mates who decide to start a Romulan and entice them to ally at end game. This not only works thematically, but it also keeps the conflict focused on the Klingon/Federation War.
[snip]
The above comes from the following article: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=852601. Third question/answer.

The latest on the Romulan Faction has been playing on my mind a lot the last couple of days, specifically because of how unhappy I am in the way it is being implemented. Suffice to say, my brain has been rattling in my skull, and I don't believe their reasons are actually just. Why? Allow me to explain.

Problem Number #1: They don't want players having to grind into another (3rd, Romulan) fleet with a bunch of more resources when countless hours have already been spent building up those very fleets. That's awfully nice of them. Okay, so how about the Romulan, Omega, and (soon to be) Tholian Reputation Systems. We are still going to need to put loads of hours worth of game play in (grinding) so that we're able to complete these reputation systems (in some cases, again).

If the argument they're going to use for the lack of a Romulan Fleet is that they don't want people further wasting their resources, then we should (at the very least) be given Romulan Reputation already at level 5; fresh for us to start acquiring the tech that comes with it. It is, after all a Reputation System put into place by the very core of who we are playing as. Surely a Romulan shouldn't need to work for their own Reputation System?

Problem Number #2: They're goal is to encourage existing fleets. Okay, but aren't existing fleets already limited to 500 members? If a Fleet (an example would be a Federation Fleet I am in) has 430 members. Lets assume for the moment that this is 430 individual members (and no characters), and then lets assume all those 430 people roll a Romulan character, that leaves 70 slots for people to join in with the fleet.

What happens to those other 340? Are they expected to find another fleet elsewhere; maybe one of which hasn't achieved near what tier they were at before; baring in mind said individual might have put a lot of time and effort into an older character in a fleet that he can now (as a romulan) not join.

The simple solution here would be to increase the fleet member number from 500 to 1000; Cryptic should at least expect the same number of people rolling a Romulan character who have a Federation/Klingon one. The question is, will this be done?

Problem Number #3: Edit: Courtesy to dkratasco for nudging my brain; Cryptic have stated they're doing this to save people who have already contributed vast amounts to the fleet projects from having to do it all again. It has been brought to their attention several times, by several people that (especially for small fleets) the requirements for some of these projects are stupidly high. I fail to see how they can be so concerned in the first place if they continually refuse to reduce the price of fleet projects; especially the special ones. A selection of lame banners are not worth 200,000 dilithium.

Last edited by flash525; 03-31-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
In before the Merge
Career Officer
# 3
03-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
In before the Merge
If they merge this one, I'll fight it. I believe this thread has it's own two feet to stand on. I'm not on about the Romulan Faction (specifically); I'm on about something we've been told that doesn't add up.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
If they merge this one, I'll fight it. I believe this thread has it's own two feet to stand on. I'm not on about the Romulan Faction (specifically); I'm on about something we've been told that doesn't add up.
well, the mods might be in agreement with you.... as im typing this i've seen 2 other romulan threads merged into another. so if this one isnt soon, you'd be right.

fleet grinding is a lot harder than rep grinding. if they do things right, many of the rom missions might end up giving rom marks, to make romulan rep easier, as you'd have a stack of Rep marks ready for when it opens up for you.

and i agree, fleet sizes should be bigger if they plan on this function to be valid, assuming of course fleets wont be like "Its our stuff, roms cant have it"
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 5
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
well, the mods might be in agreement with you.... as im typing this i've seen 2 other romulan threads merged into another. so if this one isnt soon, you'd be right.

fleet grinding is a lot harder than rep grinding. if they do things right, many of the rom missions might end up giving rom marks, to make romulan rep easier, as you'd have a stack of Rep marks ready for when it opens up for you.

and i agree, fleet sizes should be bigger if they plan on this function to be valid, assuming of course fleets wont be like "Its our stuff, roms cant have it"
I suspect if fleets are made larger than the inputs to level the fleet would be larger as well. This in turn would hurt smaller fleets. As it stands now this change benefits smaller fleets to assist with leveling their starbases by a chance to add more membership especially the Klingon fleets. I also don't see tier 5 sb fleets letting new toons join to use their stuff.
Career Officer
# 6
03-31-2013, 09:49 AM
I said it elsewhere but I think it would be best to simply expand the embassy so that it has Starbase functionality for a fleet's Romulan members.

A Romulan dominated fleet would then focus on the embassy as the primary holding and starbase as the secondary holding.

Romulans become attractive for Fed and KDF fleets to recruit because you know they will be more dedicated to the embassy. And active Fed/KDF fleets with a maxed embassy would be the most attractive for Romulan players since they'd become the source for fleet tier Romulan ships and gear.
Career Officer
# 7
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
If they merge this one, I'll fight it.
You can fight all you like, but that's not how it works.
Career Officer
# 8
03-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I said it elsewhere but I think it would be best to simply expand the embassy so that it has Starbase functionality for a fleet's Romulan members.

A Romulan dominated fleet would then focus on the embassy as the primary holding and starbase as the secondary holding.
I would support this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
You can fight all you like, but that's not how it works.
There is a report system for Moderators too. I've not had the need to use it thus far though, so couldn't tell you how good it is.
Career Officer
# 9
03-31-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd like to see some form of BOR (Bind-on-Romulan) fleet gear we can buy with our established characters' fleet credits, to give to our then-max-level Rommies so at least they're caught up on that grind, to a degree.
----
Captain
# 10
03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
There is a report system for Moderators too. I've not had the need to use it thus far though, so couldn't tell you how good it is.
Doesn't work at all. Like the rest of the ticketing system it's mostly a placebo.