Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,698
# 11
03-31-2013, 10:41 AM
I think cryptics 'reasons' do add up. i dont expect everyone to agree with them, but at least for the short term until they have time to add romulan starbases using the old ones we have already built up saves a lot of headaches/time and money. it may not be perfect but it has as many advantages as annoyances. even if there were romulan starbases, someone would just complain its another money grab having us start from scratch. there is no win/win answer here.

to your points

1) The reputation systems are incredibly easy to fill, especially if you compare them to the work a starbase requires. the rep system is like 0.1% of the grind of a starbase. considering they also award powers for each rank, they are not going to just bump you up to tier 5.

your argument is you dont believe they are taking out the grind by leaving a tiny bit of the grind left? they still want you to play the game, and more importantly play the endgame. they whole alliance thing is to keep the end game ticking over by not diluting it too much between so many factions.

2) fleet size limits are a slight problem. i dont know if they want to make fleets any larger than 500 as there are many large fleets where people struggle to even add resources as they are added so quickly. people may have to find other fleets but with 16000 fleets or what ever the number was its not going to be hard to find fleets to join. it may not be your number 1 choice but there is no guarantee people get to join their number of choice as it is right now.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 351
# 12
03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
If they are now so concern about how much fleets spend already at bases and embassy, I ask why they hadn't been so concern when those fleets were telling them that costs are to big for most of fleets? With Cryptic current statement I personally expect that they will lower projects costs which will make building station available for small fleets. Otherwise it's empty marketing slogan without the support of the actions, which unfortunately Cryptic made many for us to this point.
Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my primary language.

"Dear players we have for you new useless event and only-one-map-use-divices, and much more new "content", but we can't repair glitch in chat system which make mutes on private channels permament. So deal with it and give us your remaining money."
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,156
# 13
03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree with Revo.

And to add to that, 500 member fleets are the ones that need to run the special projects constantly just to keep the fleet members from running out of ways to earn fleet credits.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 939
# 14
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
<snipped>
If Cryptic doesn't add in Romulan starbases now for Romulan fleets, then it doesn't make sense to EVER add them in because the Romulan starbases would get even more behind Fed and KDF with each passing day.

And since any new Romulan character is rolled into being a space-hippy, they should be able to acquire Romulan rep while leveling instead of waiting until 50. This is because they will be proving themselves to D'tan with each mission they do while leveling.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,698
# 15
03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
If Cryptic doesn't add in Romulan starbases now for Romulan fleets, then it doesn't make sense to EVER add them in because the Romulan starbases would get even more behind Fed and KDF with each passing day.
A couple of things. some fed fleets are already at tier 5. you cant get much further behind than that so i dont think the time table matters. its not like we pvp with the actual bases or anything so having a tier 5 base only gives you access to different stuff. being behind, while not ideal, is not critical either.


But assuming they do make the visual appearance for a romulan starbase at a later date, i would imagine they would have the ability to simply alter a players existing fleet appearance.

so if you are a romulan and together with 4 other Romulans have made a fleet, you get either a fed or kdf starbase. that model could be later replaced with a visual upgrade to a rom one. you keep everything you have made. the visuals just look romulan now.

people who have joined a existing fed or kdf fleet then will either have the option to stay where they are, or join a romulan fleet that has already been around for however many months with the new visuals, or start their own one from scratch.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 16
03-31-2013, 11:45 AM
If they don't have the time to properly make a Romulan faction, or the talent to make a proper Romulan faction on time, then they should just say that.

I don't really give a **** that their developer buddies will make fun of them. I'll be making fun of them, as an ex-player, if they're always making excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
If Cryptic doesn't add in Romulan starbases now for Romulan fleets, then it doesn't make sense to EVER add them in because the Romulan starbases would get even more behind Fed and KDF with each passing day.
And this is why it's an issue. From what I understand, the Romulan "faction" is merely a playable race that switches the order in which you pick race and faction. There are greater odds the game is shut down than that they're ever properly completed. But if keeping the population consolidated was an issue, why not take the alternate approach of eliminating factions entirely?
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 455
# 17
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
you can get your reputation tiers maxed out in about two months of even minimal play time. Starbases are hard capped at 7 months and that's with 500 people going like mad men. I'm an officer in a mid range fleet and we're still about a month away from a tier 4 Starbase. You want to be running around till Christmas, at the earliest, working on a third base?

Reading that ask cryptic gave me the impession this is so the Romulan players can get thier toons on thier feet faster, and that the devs were not againts completly seperating them at the later time. This is going to be a learning curve for everyone, from someone who joins because of the Romulans and has never played before, to the someone who's played every day since beta.


I'd also like to point out that they said they want the core of the game to remain the FED/KDF war.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,152
# 18
03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Doesn't work at all. Like the rest of the ticketing system it's mostly a placebo.
Thus far, so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
1) The reputation systems are incredibly easy to fill, especially if you compare them to the work a starbase requires. the rep system is like 0.1% of the grind of a starbase.
Granted the Rep System is cheaper, but that's individual rep systems (which, come May will be three-fold). The Fleet System is a joint venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkratasco View Post
If they are now so concern about how much fleets spend already at bases and embassy, I ask why they hadn't been so concern when those fleets were telling them that costs are to big for most of fleets? With Cryptic current statement I personally expect that they will lower projects costs which will make building station available for small fleets. Otherwise it's empty marketing slogan without the support of the actions, which unfortunately Cryptic made many for us to this point.
This was my third point, thank you for jogging my memory. Original Post to be edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
If Cryptic doesn't add in Romulan starbases now for Romulan fleets, then it doesn't make sense to EVER add them in because the Romulan starbases would get even more behind Fed and KDF with each passing day.
This is my fear too. Add to that, if this is the case for the Romulans, then it'll be the same case and situation for the Cardassians, Dominion, along with any other factions they later intend to release.


Instead of a Romulan Fleet System, what they should be doing is incorporating romulan-specific rewards into a 3rd/4th Embassy theme. Have three tiers as per standard embassy. It's less work, practical, and it's all on New Romulus. Plus it'll actually be Romulan.

They wont need to design anything cause it's already there.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
# 19
03-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Maybe they can't add on because they don't have a design for it. If that's the case, I hope it doesn't go on the back burner. I'd rather have a nice looking base than a shoddy one.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,949
# 20
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
If they don't have the time to properly make a Romulan faction, or the talent to make a proper Romulan faction on time, then they should just say that.
It seems to me they are producing exactly what Dan talked about producing at one time: a Micro-Faction - only this Micro-Faction is actually larger then what Dan envisioned in his earlier discussion.

A player doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that it clearly takes far more time to make Mission Content then it does to play it. There's a reason why almost every MMO is struggling to get out new Mission Content for its players. Even in Wow players complain about having done the same Raids many times. If making Mission Content was easy Cryptic could have just popped 20 new Missions into the KDF a long time ago.

I personally don't care if I have to ally with a Fed or KDF to gain access to a Starbase when playing my Rom. I'm relieved that I'm not going to lose players currently contributing to my Fed and KDF Fleets and Embassies to a Rom Fleet/Embassy. I want to get my current Fleets bases and Embassies done. I don't want to start on more.

The Rom Faction is advancing the story, giving us new Mission Content, and giving us new Ships and Gear to play with. I see nothing negative in any of that.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.