Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
# 21
03-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderzero1 View Post
Reading that ask cryptic gave me the impession this is so the Romulan players can get thier toons on thier feet faster, and that the devs were not againts completly seperating them at the later time. This is going to be a learning curve for everyone, from someone who joins because of the Romulans and has never played before, to the someone who's played every day since beta.
It's going to be impossible precisely because of what Dan's said:

Roms get to use the faction ships of their allies by design - so what happens if you buy a B'rel for your Rom and then they get split off into a separate faction? Same goes for any faction-specific gear - all of which is going to be available to you.

PvP/PvE - he stated quite clearly that going forward this will be a two-faction game - allowing Fed/KDF Roms to 'reunite' into a single faction goes against this - if you're Romulan you're either a Fed or you're KDF.

On top of that, there's other systems that we don't know yet how (or even if) they're going to resolve - Doffing, Omega Rep rewards etc. All of these would need Romulan-specific content were the two sides to be reunited - and once the buzz of LoR has died down, what's the point?

Or more succinctly - where's the money in it?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 22
03-31-2013, 12:01 PM
As long as Romulans can access starbase amenities at the embassy, I see it as the same basic thing. If you want to ignore the Federation or Klingon alliance for your Romulan fleet, just do all of your business at the embassy.

The worst part about that IMHO is the embassy project to add Fed banners to the embassy. IMHO, that should be rethought somehow.

Just let Romulans treat the embassy as their HQ. preferably give Romulans an embassy transwarp.

THere are multiple ways of handling this. The embassy could provide starbase amenities to Romulans based on starbase tier. The embassy could get its own projects for fleet quality Romulan weapons and Romulan shipyards.

I'd just like it if Romulans saw the embassy as their main holding and the starbase as "that thing we're helping them build."

I don't think that would be terribly difficult to accomplish with some deft thinking and quick action.

Maybe add an extra level from the embassy Turbolift that only Romulans can normally access. Maybe give non-Romulan people with maxed Romulanre rep a project to gain access to the secret embassy level as well.

My big thing is that Romulans should probably be more concerned with construction on New Romulus than the starbase. But there are ways to make that happen if you have a means to either open all starbase features via embassy projects or do something like give Romulans only access to a special embassy sub-basement where they get any starbase amenities the fleet has unlocked via Turbolift access on the embassy.
Rihannsu
# 23
03-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderzero1 View Post
Reading that ask cryptic gave me the impession this is so the Romulan players can get thier toons on thier feet faster, and that the devs were not againts completly seperating them at the later time.
Yes then Stahl decided to post to clarify and things gone downhill because I dont think anyone would have thought they were going to allow players to use their existing Zen shop ships in the Romulan Faction, let alone the fact the Romulan Republic doesnt even have exclusive missions.

At that point people realized other things, they dont get their own exclusive DOFF chains and rewards, they will use the existing ones that depends on who you "ally" with and this isnt being asked as its on the article, its being FORCED because at Lv 10 you have to pick a faction ... not doing so will cut you from the DOFF system and the Foundry since those are Faction specific and Romulans are not a faction.

This means there is no alternative method of leveling outside Deep Space Encounters Grind and considering there is no actual choice (meaning ally with or not) at Lv 10 you will not be allowed to gain more levels until you select you fraction because this is really what this is about in the end.

Also you cannot unring that bell, the moment I can buy and use a Defiant as a Romulan is the day I never lose it until the servers come down ... if they have no qualms on selling Fed and KDF ships to Romulan players they cannot later remove such access.

Quote:
This is going to be a learning curve for everyone, from someone who joins because of the Romulans and has never played before, to the someone who's played every day since beta.
Oh please ... the KDF tutorial is downright insulting and STO have no learning curve, in fact a KDF tactical and a Fed tactical play EXACTLY the same, some powers and same kits and even the same traits can be found across both factions, only a few racial traits are exclusive like Seduce.

Sugesting otherwise means you havent playing the same game as we do, even if you are going to suggest tactics I will point out even at that point you have Fed Whales and KDF Fast Cruisers ... we know how to cloak and fly with a cloaking device, thats the KDF STARTING SHIP and even Fed have a cloak whale (Galaxy-X) if the Bortas dont fit the bill.

Quote:
I'd also like to point out that they said they want the core of the game to remain the FED/KDF war.
... Iconians.

No?

How about Endgame?

If they are saying that I can only say they are either delusional or they are lying because the core of the game is not the Federation/Klingon War ... thats the start, it veers into Undine pretty fast and goes into Iconians.

And that is discounting end game that is Borg STFs and Adventure Zones, now when Feds and Klings are killing each other in Nukara and Nre Romulus there is no War, it never was.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I am a member of a small fleet that I have devoted a lot of dilithium into. I am happy that if I choose to play as a Romulan I won't have to start all over again. I am happy that my fleetmates that are very excited about the Romulans will still be able to play with the rest of the fleet and that we won't have to start all over again. So whatever Cryptics "excuse" is, they've done right be my fleet.
Commander
# 25
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Maybe they can't add on because they don't have a design for it. If that's the case, I hope it doesn't go on the back burner. I'd rather have a nice looking base than a shoddy one.
You'd be better off accepting a shoddy base, and hoping for a graphic update to it. At least you'd have a base, then. This approach means you'll never have a base, ever, and neither will other future factions.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokinatchapunx View Post
I am a member of a small fleet that I have devoted a lot of dilithium into. I am happy that if I choose to play as a Romulan I won't have to start all over again. I am happy that my fleetmates that are very excited about the Romulans will still be able to play with the rest of the fleet and that we won't have to start all over again. So whatever Cryptics "excuse" is, they've done right be my fleet.
Which this my point that the Romulans are not a faction, its a race choice and it works for people that want to roll Romulan alts and keep playing in their fleets.
Captain
# 27
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlion619 View Post
Which this my point that the Romulans are not a faction, its a race choice and it works for people that want to roll Romulan alts and keep playing in their fleets.
If it were simply a "race choice" then they would not have their own Mission tree, nor would they have their own Ships, Uniforms, Gear, etc.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 28
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
I find it hilarious and insulting that they've been price gouging the Feds and Klinks with that starbase sink, but the Romulans, the ones they WANT to price gouge to bring them more profit, they have sympathy for and want to cut them a break?
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Republic Veteran
# 29
03-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Really? I have no problem with it, as it makes sense within the universe. The Romulans are getting back up on their feet, they can't afford to make starbases for each individual fleet. And again, I'm fine with that. ^_^
Original Join Date: January 2010
Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
Rihannsu
# 30
03-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
If it were simply a "race choice" then they would not have their own Mission tree, nor would they have their own Ships, Uniforms, Gear, etc.
Orions have their own ships, uniforms, etc ... are they a faction?